Why does this staff deserve an extension?

• 200 replies
Re: Why does this staff deserve an extension?
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2014, 07:47:16 PM »
I don't fault their effort, when they choose to this staff can recruit their asses off.   I think a strategic decision was made to look ahead to 2015, and offer more pt to the studs in that class.
I think that was the mistake.   I'm not calling them lazy, they're not.   But I think they made a misjudgment that everyone would be back and there would be no big holes.

The problem as I see it , is that the staff knew they were losing GG & Sanchez and did not replace them.  Why weren't they (the staff) getting replacements?  Please don't say ADR because last summer he wasn't considered to be a Big East player.

The staff did try to get in some front court help as they went 0-15 in that effort.  They just couldn't get the job done.  All this crap about holding out for a big 2015 class is a smokescreen of the real issues at hand.  But you will all find that out soon enough.

This, is conspiracy bs Linda.    And it makes it easy for the Koolaid drinkers to lump all critics together with you and your loony rants.   

edit:   I'm as critical of the staff as anybody sometimes, but they didn't go 0-15.    Lavin has a lot of faults, but him and Chiles can recruit very well together.    They don't strikeout on an entire class.
Nobody's told me this but it seems pretty obvious they wanted to add or two pieces this year - probably were a little overconfident with Whitehead (and you can't blame them for not landing him), and then add a backup bigman to replace Gift/Sanchez.   
The problem with that strategy is they struck out on IW, and there's a chance they could lose CO.
That leaves us with ADR and being extremely young again in 2015.      I blame coach for how he approached this recruiting cycle, but I don't believe for a second he struck out on 15 recruits.   I think he only had 3 or 4 actual targets.

You're right, I think it was 0-14 but it was well documented.  There were kids we lost to Baylor, SMU, Syracuse, Ciccinatti etc. etc. etc.  I dint make this up at all.

desco80

« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »
OK lets go out sign a mid major coach or a career asst coach and lets sees how we do.........

That sounds like a great idea to me.    What do we have to lose?

He was being sarcastic....you knew that,  right?

Yea of course, but he proposed it like it was an absurd alternative - it's not!  That probably should be the course of action. 

I'm not as worried about "blowing it up" as you are, because what are we losing exactly?    We're still not winning, even with Lavin's recruits; and no one's going to the games.   So what do we have to lose?

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2014, 07:52:19 PM »

The staff did try to get in some front court help as they went 0-15 in that effort.  They just couldn't get the job done.  All this crap about holding out for a big 2015 class is a smokescreen of the real issues at hand.  But you will all find that out soon enough.

This, is conspiracy bs Linda.    And it makes it easy for the Koolaid drinkers to lump all critics together with you and your loony rants.   

[/quote]

Very easy to defend Lavin against these type of nice personic posts.
[/quote]

If I had the time I could list the names but I can't be bothered, nor can I remember, except for many McCullough, Wainright, the kid that went to Baylor or Cinci etc.   However it was well documented in several news articles in the NY papers.  But thanks for your your idiotic and as usual negative response, at least you remain consistent.

boo3

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
  Well, for all the debate, the bottom line/reality is that the staff is going nowhere.. So, a fan like myself, will hope for the best that this group gets it together, uses this season as motivation, and is successful next season and gets in the NCAA

We can argue back in forth all we want, but nothing is changing.. So you can get on board, or continue to piss and moan all off-season and next, and likely the season after that.  Choice is yours.

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
Only thing I hope for is that the staff learns from mistakes this year.  Two more wins and we probably get a bid with our SOS.  Enough of the insane rotations for the first 1/3 of the schedule, enough of the starting walk-ons, and enough with strategy that doesn't play to our strengths.

Some head coaches and staffs improve over the course of time, much like players.  Let's hope ours do.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
Everyone keeps comparing SJU to the old BE but how is the rest of the old BE teams doing in their new conferences....Cuse is bout the same if not worse lately...Does anybody think they will make it to the final 4?  Would Louisville be THAT much higher seeded if they were in the BE? What about  Pitt and UCONN? ND got spanked this year. To be fair we cannot just compare SJU to the old BE, but all the teams. ACC is not that much better with the recently added teams. They got as many as the A10...Getting 40% of our league in is pretty good in a round Robin tournament. 

Histoorically speaking the teams that led the BE have gone on to do worse. Cuse has a lot of influence but let's see what happens when Boheim retires and the Southern schools do not want to have the ACC tournament in NY?

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »
Say what you want about Lavin but this team won 20+ games this year. This was the only year so far where we did not reach expectations. The school would be out of their mind to replace him for his first poor year (which like I said, was still a 20 win season)

goredmen

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »
Say what you want about Lavin but this team won 20+ games this year. This was the only year so far where we did not reach expectations. The school would be out of their mind to replace him for his first poor year (which like I said, was still a 20 win season)

20 win seasons aren't what they used to be since teams play more games now

nudginator59

« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2014, 08:51:36 PM »
It is not easy to bring in a top level coach to NYC period in today's word of multi media and internet. Donovan could of been the toast of broadway with saving the SJU program but instead stay with a universty where there are two seasons football season...waiting for football season. Floridea is probably just as pumped for the NFL dead as they are being a #1 seed.

The taxes in NYC are high so how much Is Lavin REALLY making?  We couldn't even get Hewitt or Greenberg for crying out loud but on sure throwing money at something is the NYC way and it always works like Rangers, Mets, especially Yanks in the 80s... Except for the Giants and Yankees most of our teams are historic because they were founding members of leagues. As bad as the Knicks have been they have been to MORE finals recent then the Rangers!! Ponder that for a moment....

If Lavin needs an extension for recruiting sake give it to him the team is improving but if I am the AD I might be thinking of a just in case plan B and if the the shit hits the fan next year I might be putting that plan into action... Blowing shit up for the sake of it is only really cool when your playing GI Joes for real life planning and organizations it is usually bad for business.
Cougar O' Malley

Foad

« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »
Perhaps even a former NBA coach looking to get back into the college ranks.

PJ Carlesimo perhaps?

nudginator59

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »

PJ Carlesimo perhaps?

Does Latrell Spreewell going to have to choke A biotch?!
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »

PJ Carlesimo perhaps?

Mike Woodson is already in the building.  Let's get him before Indiana does.

desco80

« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
I don't fault their effort, when they choose to this staff can recruit their asses off.   I think a strategic decision was made to look ahead to 2015, and offer more pt to the studs in that class.
I think that was the mistake.   I'm not calling them lazy, they're not.   But I think they made a misjudgment that everyone would be back and there would be no big holes.

The problem as I see it , is that the staff knew they were losing GG & Sanchez and did not replace them.  Why weren't they (the staff) getting replacements?  Please don't say ADR because last summer he wasn't considered to be a Big East player.

edit:   I'm as critical of the staff as anybody sometimes, but they didn't go 0-15.    Lavin has a lot of faults, but him and Chiles can recruit very well together.    They don't strikeout on an entire class.
Nobody's told me this but it seems pretty obvious they wanted to add or two pieces this year - probably were a little overconfident with Whitehead (and you can't blame them for not landing him), and then add a backup bigman to replace Gift/Sanchez.   
The problem with that strategy is they struck out on IW, and there's a chance they could lose CO.
That leaves us with ADR and being extremely young again in 2015.      I blame coach for how he approached this recruiting cycle, but I don't believe for a second he struck out on 15 recruits.   I think he only had 3 or 4 actual targets.

You're right, I think it was 0-14 but it was well documented.  There were kids we lost to Baylor, SMU, Syracuse, Ciccinatti etc. etc. etc.  I dint make this up at all.

No' it's not well documented.    Wainwright is playing for Baylor right now, same goes for Jermaine Lawrence the only recruit we've lost to Cinci.    Class of 2013 chief.
We did lose McCullough to Cuse, but he verbaled in December 2012, so he hasn't been available for 15 months so I can barely count him towards this cycle.
And we lost Whitehead.   For reasons well documented.

The staff only targeted a few players in this years class.   If you want to think they went 0-14, go ahead.   But you're wrong.   

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2014, 09:32:09 PM »

PJ Carlesimo perhaps?
lol !!

desco80

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2014, 09:43:45 PM »

Those 20wins don't mean what they used to.  For one, our regular season had 31 games instead of they usual 30.  But more importantly this was the easiest schedule a St. John's team has faced in a long time.   We had the 50th hardest schedule this year, in2010 we had the 7th, even last year the SOS was in the 20s.   I'm not interested in beating up on the conference, but that is a big difference.   

An extra game and a much easier schedule can hide a lot of warts. 

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2014, 10:14:12 PM »

Those 20wins don't mean what they used to.  For one, our regular season had 31 games instead of they usual 30.  But more importantly this was the easiest schedule a St. John's team has faced in a long time.   We had the 50th hardest schedule this year, in2010 we had the 7th, even last year the SOS was in the 20s.   I'm not interested in beating up on the conference, but that is a big difference.   

An extra game and a much easier schedule can hide a lot of warts. 

Point is even though we failed to meet expectations, we still had a pretty good record. This wasn't a 15-16 season. I know you are anti Lavin and I understand the issues with some of his deficiencies but you really think he deserves to be removed after his first underachieving season granted all the things he has done for this program?

Poison

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »

PJ Carlesimo perhaps?
lol !!

He's leagues better than what we have now.

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »

PJ Carlesimo perhaps?

Was hoping Mark Jackson?  But don't realistically think that will happen.

« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »

No' it's not well documented.    Wainwright is playing for Baylor right now, same goes for Jermaine Lawrence the only recruit we've lost to Cinci.    Class of 2013 chief.
We did lose McCullough to Cuse, but he verbaled in December 2012, so he hasn't been available for 15 months so I can barely count him towards this cycle.
And we lost Whitehead.   For reasons well documented.

The staff only targeted a few players in this years class.   If you want to think they went 0-14, go ahead.   But you're wrong.   

Nope you are absolutely wrong.  You are either unaware of what transpired or have a bad memory.  We also lost kids to NC State, LSU, UCLA etc.  Again, I can't remember the names but know that there was a pair of kids that many thought to be a package deal.  One was a strongly built power forward and the other a guard. Not sure where they ended up but many sites had us listed with these kids and many posters mentioned them as well.  You must be a new bee to this fan board.

« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2014, 10:21:55 PM »

PJ Carlesimo perhaps?

Was hoping Mark Jackson?  But don't realistically think that will happen.

Metta World Peace said he would love to coach at SJU someday.