Why does this staff deserve an extension?

• 200 replies

uwsfan

Re: Why does this staff deserve an extension?
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »
Bad things about this year.

0 - 5
Losing the Providence game.
No offensive system in place.
Still not a good shooting team
Terrible rebounding team
Help for the frontcourt is not yet on the way
No recruits coming in ( so far ) who can play in our top 8
Can't run a fastbreak.
Can't make layups.
Anything else ?

Every one of those flaws will exist next season if Lavin is coaching.
D'Lo, Green, Pointer have all hit their ceilings. Jakarr will improve some. The only big  improvement will be with Jordan who should, barring injury become the best pg in the conference possibly one of the best in the nation. Which may in itself be enough to make this a ranked team and tourney lock.... IF everyone returns and is healthy.
But how long before this teams luck with health runs out, and will Obekpa leave? If either of these two happens (and they may both happen) then it would nullify Jordans improvement and make next year another NIT dissapointment.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:21:47 PM by uwsfan »

« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
It amazes me how Lavin supporters like yourself and others use a horrendous stretch of basketball to compare Lavins accomplishments.  Why not compare with him with Looies tenure on the job.  Sure Looie had some faults and was not great in the end but certainly superior to Lavin in a much tougher Big East conference. 

So you believe that 25 years ago is a more accurate representation of the state of the program as opposed to the prior 10 years of Lavin's hire? I think that says it all about your ability to look at things rationally.

The one good thing, perhaps, is that since it us quite obvious that Lavin will need NBA all star talent to be successful it may keep the pressure on him to recruit high caliber HS players. The downside to that is if he does not, the party's over.

So remind me I forgot, exactly how many NBA all star talent players were on the team Lavin's first year here when he brought us to the NCAA tourney for the first time in a decade?

Oh really but you look at things rationally?  You are content with mediocrity so you compare his results to the worst group of coaches in the school's history? Give me a break.  And it terms of his first year, the big difference....DUNLAP  or did you conveniently forget about him?

« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2014, 12:46:27 PM »
3. We were a dead program. Jarvis/Roberts took us completely off the map. To have expected Lavin to snap his fingers and make us a consistent tournament team was unrealistic.

Norm makes the NIT: we're completely off the map.

Lavin makes the NIT: we're back baby!

+1000000000

« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:27 PM »
For the past decade this program was a joke. We aspired to make the NIT and many years we were on the bubble for that. Have we forgot? Now we as fans are expecting to make the NCAA  tourney and if we don't, its a bad year. The staff deserves an extension, we are improving every year, they know what they are doing. 

Surprisingly, the majority of the fan base actually has forgotten how bad we were for the past decade. At least, that's the only explanation I can come up with for the amount of hate for this regime.

It amazes me how Lavin supporters like yourself and others use a horrendous stretch of basketball to compare Lavins accomplishments.  Why not compare with him with Looies tenure on the job.  Sure Looie had some faults and was not great in the end but certainly superior to Lavin in a much tougher Big East conference.  And another thing I don't understand is that if you watch the team play game in and game out with no semblance of offensive structure, a lack of fundamentals , which many love to blame on player IQ ( which is nonsense), and just overall team chemistry ( players sulking on the bench, others refusing to go in) and an obvious poor use of team personnel ( note Max and Marco), how do you justify the continuance of the Lavin experiment?   

The one good thing, perhaps, is that since it us quite obvious that Lavin will need NBA all star talent to be successful it may keep the pressure on him to recruit high caliber HS players. The downside to that is if he does not, the party's over.

Because:

1. To expect any coach to be as successful as Louie is not realistic.

2. College basketball has changed a lot since the Louie days.

3. We were a dead program. Jarvis/Roberts took us completely off the map. To have expected Lavin to snap his fingers and make us a consistent tournament team was unrealistic.

It's also funny to me that there are little to no complaints about the offensive structure when we win. The offense looks great when we win! Although it doesn't really change much, it's all about execution. There were little to no complaints about it in Lavin's first season.

Snap his fingers?  He has had four years and four recited classes to make the Big Dance with his players.  If you think back to our little win streak when many misguided individuals were posting such absurdities as "Apologies To Coach Lavin" which was all but laughable, a good portion of the streak was due to the hot shooting of Dlo and Jakarr.  I will give the devil his due with the great defensive effort the kids made, especially in the Creighton game, but that was very short lived and is the coaches job to keep the ball rolling.  However, those who know the game were still commenting on the lack of ball movement and offensive structure in all but a few games.

Agree that we were dead for sometime, were two of the worst coaches in school's history ,but being in Macy's window, ( which is the only thing that Lavin accomplished) is good on the surface until you fail, then everyone notices.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »

It Norm 6yrs to reach and lose a game in the NIT... 1 NCAA  and 2 NIT (#1 seed which has been argued we just missed the tournament) appearances is waaaaayyyyy better then Norm. This NIT hurts so much because Lavin gave us hope and he let us down. There are plenty of blame for  Lavin, but he is better then Norm.  I don't see how last year was a let down, even if Harrison played I still do to think we make the NCAAs. He was really struggling in games. This is Lavin's first disappointing season, he himself said this was the year...criticisize and blame him, but to fire him after one season where he failed at expectations...Come on...Or tell me the better couch who is realitically available...
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
For the past decade this program was a joke. We aspired to make the NIT and many years we were on the bubble for that. Have we forgot? Now we as fans are expecting to make the NCAA  tourney and if we don't, its a bad year. The staff deserves an extension, we are improving every year, they know what they are doing. 

Surprisingly, the majority of the fan base actually has forgotten how bad we were for the past decade. At least, that's the only explanation I can come up with for the amount of hate for this regime.

It amazes me how Lavin supporters like yourself and others use a horrendous stretch of basketball to compare Lavins accomplishments.  Why not compare with him with Looies tenure on the job.  Sure Looie had some faults and was not great in the end but certainly superior to Lavin in a much tougher Big East conference.  And another thing I don't understand is that if you watch the team play game in and game out with no semblance of offensive structure, a lack of fundamentals , which many love to blame on player IQ ( which is nonsense), and just overall team chemistry ( players sulking on the bench, others refusing to go in) and an obvious poor use of team personnel ( note Max and Marco), how do you justify the continuance of the Lavin experiment?   

Because:

It's also funny to me that there are little to no complaints about the offensive structure when we win. The offense looks great when we win! Although it doesn't really change much, it's all about execution. There were little to no complaints about it in Lavin's first season.

Snap his fingers?  He has had four years and four recited classes to make the Big Dance with his players.  If you think back to our little win streak when many misguided individuals were posting such absurdities as "Apologies To Coach Lavin" which was all but laughable, a good portion of the streak was due to the hot shooting of Dlo and Jakarr.  I will give the devil his due with the great defensive effort the kids made, especially in the Creighton game, but that was very short lived and is the coaches job to keep the ball rolling.  However, those who know the game were still commenting on the lack of ball movement and offensive structure in all but a few games.

Agree that we were dead for sometime, were two of the worst coaches in school's history ,but being in Macy's window, ( which is the only thing that Lavin accomplished) is good on the surface until you fail, then everyone notices.

Funny as the team was winning you seem to disappear as well...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
Looks like we might be in for a long offseason with annoying, repetitive posts. 

If anyone is interested, you can hide posts from certain users by going to Profile >> Account Settings >> Buddies/Ignore List

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »

Where in my post did I say we were back? No one is saying we are back. But if Norm ever was a one seed in the NIT he wouldn't have been fired. People would have applauded him for that. Norms teams even on the rare occasion they were playing in the NIT, they were a low seed and knocked out in the first round.

TONYD3

« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
I would rather play in the NCAA , but getting to the garden is an accomplishment . If this team gets there I say the season has been a success .

« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2014, 04:48:54 PM »
If we end up winning 25 or 26 games, and the NIT title that goes with 26, it would have to be looked at as a successful season...certainly better than one and done in the NCAA tournament.

« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2014, 04:50:44 PM »
We ain't gonna get anyone better.  They should utilize Lawrence Frank.  He has 5 more years on his nets contract and is sitting in a hole watching film. He can do the X's and O's via Skype

« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
Looks like we might be in for a long offseason with annoying, repetitive posts. 

If anyone is interested, you can hide posts from certain users by going to Profile >> Account Settings >> Buddies/Ignore List

You would only be able to read 5 posts a month if you hid those users,

SJUFAN

« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2014, 04:57:17 PM »
It amazes me how Lavin supporters like yourself and others use a horrendous stretch of basketball to compare Lavins accomplishments.  Why not compare with him with Looies tenure on the job.  Sure Looie had some faults and was not great in the end but certainly superior to Lavin in a much tougher Big East conference. 

So you believe that 25 years ago is a more accurate representation of the state of the program as opposed to the prior 10 years of Lavin's hire? I think that says it all about your ability to look at things rationally.

So remind me I forgot, exactly how many NBA all star talent players were on the team Lavin's first year here when he brought us to the NCAA tourney for the first time in a decade?

Oh really but you look at things rationally?  You are content with mediocrity so you compare his results to the worst group of coaches in the school's history? Give me a break.  And it terms of his first year, the big difference....DUNLAP  or did you conveniently forget about him?

Just because I point out the fact that progress is being made doesn't mean one is accepting mediocrity. Mediocrity is what this program was before Lavin. No top rated recruits and CBI bids. Its a process and steady improvement is being made. That is a fact. Its convenient for u to not give Lavin credit for that first year success. What did Dunlap do the next year with a top 5 recruiting class and a first round NBA draft pick? Lavin is the head coach, he gets the credit.

« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »

Because:

Funny that if you were the least bit observant you maybe have noted that I stated that I would be back at the end of the season to make comment.  In fact the last few times I did comment was after a win.  So now you have aligned yourself with the rest of the dimwits who make inaccurate comments, nice job.

« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »
If we end up winning 25 or 26 games, and the NIT title that goes with 26, it would have to be looked at as a successful season...certainly better than one and done in the NCAA tournament.

So ending up outside of the top 68-69 teams in the country is a success?  If we do what you hope, I would say the season was not a disaster but certainly not a success. My my how our standards have fallen.

« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
I'm surprised that you think this.

If I had my choice I'd take 1 and out in the NCAA every time. At least selection sunday is exciting and the days leading up to the game.

NIT for me is blahhhh unless it was a team of all freshman or something

nudginator59

« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »

Because:

Funny that if you were the least bit observant you maybe have noted that I stated that I would be back at the end of the season to make comment.  In fact the last few times I did comment was after a win.  So now you have aligned yourself with the rest of the dimwits who make inaccurate comments, nice job.

The season is not over so how am I wrong? Where did I personally insult you?
Cougar O' Malley

Mike

« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »
Say what you want about Lavin but this team won 20+ games this year. This was the only year so far where we did not reach expectations. The school would be out of their mind to replace him for his first poor year (which like I said, was still a 20 win season)

But the majority of posters were expecting 20 to 22 wins this year

20 win seasons aren't what they used to be since teams play more games now

« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »

Just because I point out the fact that progress is being made doesn't mean one is accepting mediocrity. Mediocrity is what this program was before Lavin. No top rated recruits and CBI bids. Its a process and steady improvement is being made. That is a fact. Its convenient for u to not give Lavin credit for that first year success. What did Dunlap do the next year with a top 5 recruiting class and a first round NBA draft pick? Lavin is the head coach, he gets the credit.

Hey buddy, after tonites DEBACLE, do you still think progress is being made?  If so, I can recommend some therapists that work well with  reality checking.

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2014, 10:39:03 PM »
1.  The talent level will be diminished.

2.  The experience level seems maxed out.

3.  No significant recruits seem to be coming

4.  The same coaching staff will be in place

So how do any of you see improvement?  Do tell!