Bracketology thread

• 332 replies
Re: Bracketology thread
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2015, 12:27:48 AM »
2-4 vsRPI top 50 teams at the moment

Okay.  Still time left to enhance that situation.

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2015, 12:34:51 AM »
Correct.  And we're 7-0 against everyone not in the top 20.  We were on the bubble last season with 2 top 50 wins.  Assume we get 4 more as I mentioned, and I would have to believe we're in good shape.

Agreed. Why is Syracuse in at the solid 11 and we are the play in 11?  Their Rpi is 43, ours 23. STJohns beat them. And Syracuse is 0 for against top 50 teams?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:35:41 AM by Marco Baldi »

LoganK

« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
Correct.  And we're 7-0 against everyone not in the top 20.  We were on the bubble last season with 2 top 50 wins.  Assume we get 4 more as I mentioned, and I would have to believe we're in good shape.

Agreed. Why is Syracuse in at the solid 11 and we are the play in 11?  Their Rpi is 43, ours 23. STJohns beat them. And Syracuse is 0 for against top 50 teams?

You've got me on that one.  ACC bias?

« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2015, 01:03:31 AM »
Past few years analysts would talk about a "weak bubble", and how the teams on the bubble line weren't much to look at. It seems like that is almost always the case however this year, although it may be really early for this talk, I see the bubble being much stronger than in years past. Just my observation

« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2015, 01:36:35 AM »
Past few years analysts would talk about a "weak bubble", and how the teams on the bubble line weren't much to look at. It seems like that is almost always the case however this year, although it may be really early for this talk, I see the bubble being much stronger than in years past. Just my observation

Agree
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »
I think of it like this.  On selection Sunday, who will be on our "good wins" list?

Ask those questions once the regular season is nearly over.  Not mid-January.

How many possible good wins do we have left on the schedule?

At least 7 and if Creighton, DP, Xavier or Marquette improve, maybe more

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »

You've got me

Very simple why.  If we are talking linardis bracket He has said his projections are based on what is going on as of today. Cuse right now is a top team in acc by record. However they have beaten bottom teams.   Their rpi is good but no great wins.  Kind of like way providence was last yr. winning  big east to get auto bid but didn't have quality wins giving them 11 seed.

In sju case 2 good wins, both on road. However 1-3 in conference. Linardi is giving more credit to our wins by putting us in but at 1-3 in conference hinders us at being a solid 11.  Sju seeding will go up with just winning as long as teams like cuse keep winning. When they start losing that win will seem as less valuable. That's where beating good teams rest of way plays a big role. 

on that one.  ACC bias?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 11:07:17 AM by rdstr25 »

Poison

« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
Do you see Syracuse in the NCAA tournament?

They certainly have work left to do (at this point in the season, nearly everyone does), but they are trending in the right direction.  Same goes for Providence (although they are in better shape in terms of meaningful wins).

Syracuse has the meat of the schedule coming up. I can't see them trending in the right direction.  They've played 2 ranked teams and loss both. And one was an awful Michigan team.

Came within one possession of beating Nova on a road. I see them getting getter as the season goes on and finding their way to a 6/7 seed. Don't forget they have a coach who knows what he's doing.

Do you really think they can't beat Virginia, Duke or Maryland?

TONYD3

« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2015, 12:20:12 PM »
Our resume look better next week. 14-4 , 3-3 in conference with Duke on deck. If we lose the next 2 don't belong in the tournament

« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2015, 12:25:31 PM »

They certainly have work left to do (at this point in the season, nearly everyone does), but they are trending in the right direction.  Same goes for Providence (although they are in better shape in terms of meaningful wins).

Syracuse has the meat of the schedule coming up. I can't see them trending in the right direction.  They've played 2 ranked teams and loss both. And one was an awful Michigan team.

Came within one possession of beating Nova on a road. I see them getting getter as the season goes on and finding their way to a 6/7 seed. Don't forget they have a coach who knows what he's doing.

No, I dont think they can. And they are down 1 starter

Poison

« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2015, 03:29:33 PM »

We'll see what happens. I think they'll finish towards the top of the league, and Boeheim will find players to replace the guys they've lost. And I think that because he always does.

LoganK

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2015, 04:32:08 PM »
Very simple why.  If we are talking linardis bracket He has said his projections are based on what is going on as of today. Cuse right now is a top team in acc by record. However they have beaten bottom teams.   Their rpi is good but no great wins.  Kind of like way providence was last yr. winning  big east to get auto bid but didn't have quality wins giving them 11 seed.

In sju case 2 good wins, both on road. However 1-3 in conference. Linardi is giving more credit to our wins by putting us in but at 1-3 in conference hinders us at being a solid 11.  Sju seeding will go up with just winning as long as teams like cuse keep winning. When they start losing that win will seem as less valuable. That's where beating good teams rest of way plays a big role. 

Conference record is not supposed to be part of the equation.  Neither is head to head results or whether or not you're "hot" heading into the tournament (obviously, they may have an affect as the committee is subjective, but they are not supposed to).  As Virginia was the AQ from the ACC in that bracket, Lunardi, for whatever reason just considers Syracuse's profile to be better than ours at this point in time, which is baffling to me.

LoganK

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »

On paper I agree, but Duke just lost to NC State and Miami.  Kentucky went to OT against Texas A&M and Ole Miss (who I would consider worse than Cuse).  Anything can happen in a given game....other than a 16 beating a 1.  It's certainly plausible that Syr can steal one or two of their big opportunities (Duke x2, Louisville, Virginia, possibly ND and UNC as well).

paultzman

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »

On paper I agree, but Duke just lost to NC State and Miami.  Kentucky went to OT against Texas A&M and Ole Miss (who I would consider worse than Cuse).  Anything can happen in a given game....other than a 16 beating a 1.  It's certainly plausible that Syr can steal one or two of their big opportunities (Duke x2, Louisville, Virginia, possibly ND and UNC as well).
@syrbasketball: Halftime: Clemson 39, Syracuse 18.

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
@syrbasketball: Halftime: Clemson 39, Syracuse 18.
:2funny:

« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »
Lunardi latest. syracuse in the 11 play in game. St Johns out.

LoganK

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »
Lunardi latest. syracuse in the 11 play in game. St Johns out.

Yea this was not a good weekend for our profile...still surprised at Syr inclusion.

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2015, 03:30:46 PM »
We're an 8 seed on cbssports bracketology. BE has much more respect in nearly every bracket except ESPN(I WONDER WHY??!!) Feel that 8 is a bit high but as of right now, the committee wouldn't leave us out with our numbers.  Unfortunately a 7-11 record in BE play wont be close to good enough to get in and it seems thats about where this team will be. :-[

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
We're an 8 seed on cbssports bracketology. BE has much more respect in nearly every bracket except ESPN(I WONDER WHY??!!) Feel that 8 is a bit high but as of right now, the committee wouldn't leave us out with our numbers.  Unfortunately a 7-11 record in BE play wont be close to good enough to get in and it seems thats about where this team will be. :-[

Unfortunately Lunardi is usually right on his predictions.

First Four Out
Colorado State
St. John's
BYU
UConn

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2015, 05:10:22 PM »
At 1-4 we don't deserve to be anywhere near the NCAA tournament.