Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies

SJU79

Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2015, 10:58:58 AM »
Some people took offense to the term "source" or "people close to him" so Ill just say this is what I understand the situation to be as of last Friday,
1) While he understands his need to be there he does  not like it, does not like the coach, school or area. He is badly homesick and misses his family and CTK
2) He loves Matt A and  Mullin.   and the teams record or talent level has no influence on him at all. AT ALL.
3) He has been shocked and excited about the passion at NC ST, UNC and its a 3 team race. No Indiana, Kansas or Kentucky.
4) He wants to go pro after one year. He and his will decide is it better to come home, be the man and showcase or go to a proven school of sending guys to the NBA. My guess is SJU is more  in this than people think. The staff us really pushing how much Mitch's game is similar and how much he can ready him for the association                           
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:59:46 AM by SJU79 »

« Reply #461 on: December 12, 2015, 02:34:59 PM »

I agree with this. I spoke with Coach Arbitello at a recent game vs. Cardinal Hayes and he said Rawle is miserable. He may transfer back to CTK to finish his academics in the spring. He also said when asked if Rawle would pick St. John's he said that's a pretty good chance. Take that for what it's worth.

« Reply #462 on: December 12, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »

I agree with this. I spoke with Coach Arbitello at a recent game vs. Cardinal Hayes and he said Rawle is miserable. He may transfer back to CTK to finish his academics in the spring. He also said when asked if Rawle would pick St. John's he said that's a pretty good chance. Take that for what it's worth.

I'm in a position to hear things on the two Brooklyn kids, one who is already signed.  After college I lived in Rawle's neighborhood in Brooklyn (Canarsie) for six years and I still have friends there. Also,  I teach in a middle school in East New York, Brooklyn, where I also hear things from other teachers. I can tell you, I've been hearing this stuff too, but I did not want to post anything about it.  Some people react badly to it.  He's definitely homesick and his family is amenable to him coming back home for at least a year until he plays professionally.  I've also heard third hand that Arbitello has confirmed that he is "seriously considering" St. John's.  I'm really crossing my fingers on this one.  The way I see it, he's going to be playing far away from his family for most of his career, so why not just, for one year, come home and play for STJ, be near your family, and then go pro. 

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #463 on: December 12, 2015, 03:19:25 PM »
That has to be a positive sign for us. Can't imagine he'd want to go to the other presumptive favorites NC State or UNC, if he's miserable in NC now. Go get em Mully!

goredmen

« Reply #464 on: December 12, 2015, 03:21:50 PM »
I think Rawle is the most important recruit in the past decade for this program. If this staff can land the best NYC kid (yes I still consider him an NYC kid) that would seriously get the ball rolling even more than it already is. Then if Rawle thrives in his one year here then that could lead to us finally being the consistent program we've always wanted to be

PIB

« Reply #465 on: December 12, 2015, 04:19:55 PM »

I'm in a position to hear things on the two Brooklyn kids, one who is already signed.  After college I lived in Rawle's neighborhood in Brooklyn (Canarsie) for six years and I still have friends there. Also,  I teach in a middle school in East New York, Brooklyn, where I also hear things from other teachers. I can tell you, I've been hearing this stuff too, but I did not want to post anything about it.  Some people react badly to it.  He's definitely homesick and his family is amenable to him coming back home for at least a year until he plays professionally.  I've also heard third hand that Arbitello has confirmed that he is "seriously considering" St. John's.  I'm really crossing my fingers on this one.  The way I see it, he's going to be playing far away from his family for most of his career, so why not just, for one year, come home and play for STJ, be near your family, and then go pro. 

I was a guidance counselor at JFK when Bashir attended.

Sadly, JFK no longer exists. And, everyone is teaching/working elsewhere.

Nice to see fellow educators on here.

« Reply #466 on: December 13, 2015, 03:54:22 PM »
Ben Roberts
‏@NextCats
FINAL: Word of God Academy (N.C.) 121, Victory Prep (Texas) 101. Rawle Alkins finishes with 51 points (33 in the second half).

« Reply #467 on: December 13, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »
Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria
Indiana and Louisville watched @Iam_RawleAlkins go for 51. Heard he could've had 60 if game was a little longer.

« Reply #468 on: December 13, 2015, 08:22:05 PM »
Hope the recruiting crew got in touch with him to congratulate him (and remind him that the beat Syracuse at MSG and they'll be in the Bahamas for Battle 4 Atlantis next Nov !!!)

. and I can see the homesickness getting to a HS senior.   That could be a positive, especially if he's going to be a one and done and wants one more year in front of friends/family.    Still, one and done's are not my favorite.  Too much to potentially try to prove individually vs. building as a unit.   But, if he's as good as his highlight clips and stats show, I guess I could live with it  ;D

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:00:02 PM by RedStormNC »

Marillac

« Reply #469 on: December 18, 2015, 12:16:38 PM »
Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria
Indiana and Louisville watched @Iam_RawleAlkins go for 51. Heard he could've had 60 if game was a little longer.

Is this a serious quote by Zagoria?  I think anyone that has ever scored 51 could've gone for 60 if the game was longer.  SMFH.

« Reply #470 on: December 18, 2015, 12:22:39 PM »
Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria

Is this a serious quote by Zagoria?  I think anyone that has ever scored 51 could've gone for 60 if the game was longer.  SMFH.

That was a rather wacky quote.

« Reply #471 on: December 18, 2015, 12:34:27 PM »
Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria

That was a rather wacky quote.

And if the game went even longer after that, who knows, he could've gone for 75!

« Reply #472 on: December 27, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »
With Bashir Ahmed in our corner now, what do you think it will take for Rawle  to choose the Johnnie over either of the NC schools?

Playing time - check
Mullin / Richmond - check
NYC/MSG/close to family - check
Tourney in Bahamas - check

What seals the deal for is or keeps him in NC for another year before he wants to enter the draft ?

« Reply #473 on: December 27, 2015, 12:07:50 PM »
With Bashir Ahmed in our corner now, what do you think it will take for Rawle  to choose the Johnnie over either of the NC schools?

Playing time - check
Mullin / Richmond - check
NYC/MSG/close to family - check
Tourney in Bahamas - check

What seals the deal for is or keeps him in NC for another year before he wants to enter the draft ?

Homesick

« Reply #474 on: December 27, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
I'm still not on the Rawle is coming train.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

« Reply #475 on: December 27, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »
I think we have a lot of things in our favor with Alkins and it seems to be a natural fit. First off as everyone is saying he is homesick and loves NYC. Secondly the team will be much improved next year and adding him to the mix we could be a very deep and dangerous team. He will get all the same playing time and exposure if not more then he would get at NC State and he would get to do it in front of his friends and family. I don't know anything about the kid so I am not going to get ahead of myself but from what everyone says it seems the most logical choice.

TONYD3

« Reply #476 on: December 27, 2015, 12:56:45 PM »
someone posted he was homesick on the rivals board. The original message  was what was posted here saying the Christ the King coach was telling people he was miserable in NC and at the prep school. Someone responded stating that was not true, that poster said that he spoke to Alkins personally after a game and he was very happy at the school and the with his prep coach.

Wods317

« Reply #477 on: December 27, 2015, 01:58:00 PM »
someone posted he was homesick on the rivals board. The original message  was what was posted here saying the Christ the King coach was telling people he was miserable in NC and at the prep school. Someone responded stating that was not true, that poster said that he spoke to Alkins personally after a game and he was very happy at the school and the with his prep coach.

Not saying hes definitely homesick but I doubt hes going to going around and telling people that he hates his new school and coach. He may have confided in his old coach whom he knows well. I doubt hes going to open up about not liking NC to a person he doesn't really know, that would be strange.

TONYD3

« Reply #478 on: December 27, 2015, 03:14:37 PM »
I wasn't trying to sway anyone. Just letting you know what I read.

gman

« Reply #479 on: December 27, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria

And he could have had a 200 if the game was much longer. Some of the stiff zags writes makes me scratch my head.