Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies
Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #480 on: December 29, 2015, 11:05:01 PM »
With Bashir Ahmed in our corner now, what do you think it will take for Rawle  to choose the Johnnie over either of the NC schools?

Playing time - check
Mullin / Richmond - check
NYC/MSG/close to family - check
Tourney in Bahamas - check

What seals the deal for is or keeps him in NC for another year before he wants to enter the draft ?
Alkins now tweeting that he is talking to coach Miller and coach Book at Zona.  Says he's expanded his list from three to nine. Halfway through his senior year!  Wow, he must really like that "feeling of being recruited". Must really be "enjoying the process". I wonder if Albany will make the list this time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:06:26 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2015, 11:21:32 PM »
Definitely not favorable and odd that a school would be added back at this point. Being 3/4 across the country doesn't seem to make the case for homesickness being a key factor. 

I just don't think this kid wants to be with us for his likely short stint in college.

I

Moose

« Reply #482 on: December 29, 2015, 11:41:49 PM »
With Bashir Ahmed in our corner now, what do you think it will take for Rawle  to choose the Johnnie over either of the NC schools?

Playing time - check
Mullin / Richmond - check
NYC/MSG/close to family - check
Tourney in Bahamas - check

What seals the deal for is or keeps him in NC for another year before he wants to enter the draft ?
Alkins now tweeting that he is talking to coach Miller and coach Book at Zona.  Says he's expanded his list from three to nine. Halfway through his senior year!  Wow, he must really like that "feeling of being recruited". Must really be "enjoying the process". I wonder if Albany will make the list this time.

Haha
Albany
Remember who broke the Slice news

PIB

« Reply #483 on: December 30, 2015, 06:19:51 AM »
Kid is playing the game, and loves the attention. He clearly wants to be recruited.

I am not expecting him to be a Johhnie.

I am also questioning if he should reconsider his one and done mindset. If he is THAT good, go to Kentucky, prove you are the business, and leave as a 1st rounder. He may be in college longer than he wants to be.

pmg911

« Reply #484 on: December 30, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »
I'm still not on the Rawle is coming train.

I agree and honestly, don't want the kid.

I think he is exactly what you don't want when building up a program. He only wants to be there a year and he honestly not good enough to be a dominating player as a Freshman.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:50:28 AM by pmg911 »

« Reply #485 on: December 30, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
Is he better than Ponds, Ellison or
Muss?

pmg911

« Reply #486 on: December 30, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
Muss?

He might be but if his intention is to try and go to NBA after 1 year, he will be trying to showcase himself

« Reply #487 on: December 30, 2015, 09:01:32 AM »
Muss?

He might be but if his intention is to try and go to NBA after 1 year, he will be trying to showcase himself

Calipari finds a way for it to work  having 8 players in that situation almost every year. Surely we can make it work

Tha Kid

« Reply #488 on: December 30, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »
Muss?

Calipari finds a way for it to work  having 8 players in that situation almost every year. Surely we can make it work

Agree that if he Wants to be here we should be able to make it work, but def can also see how showcasing himself could be to the teams detriment (see Sampson, Jakarr).  That being said perhaps Mullin and staff would be better able to appease Rawle w role yet still have the team be the focus.
"I drink and I know things"

pmg911

« Reply #489 on: December 30, 2015, 12:25:09 PM »
Muss?

St. John's is not Kentucky, SJU is trying to build up a program and get to the next level...   Kentucky is maintaining a level of excellence...

One & done kids can be great but I just don't think Alkins is that type of player, especially with his eyes clearly on the NBA

goredmen

« Reply #490 on: December 30, 2015, 12:36:50 PM »
Here we go again with the we don't want him sentiments. Yeah sure, we don't want a 5 star player because he might be "showcasing" himself by scoring 20 points a game. My goodness some people are insane.

If Rawle Alkins is here even for one year, the team and program become MUCH better. Alkins would not make this team worse. The fact that he's most likely a one and done shouldn't scare anybody because Kentucky and Duke have been to final 4s and won national championships with those types of players. Now I know we are not those programs but that should be even more of a reason why we should go after this kid.

I'm also not entirely sold on the fact that he's definitely going to be a one and done. He's obviously very good but he's not on the Towns, Okafor or Ben Simmons level where he'd be a guaranteed lottery pick if he left after his freshman season. Whitehead was thought to be a one and done at SHU but he's there for round 2. I don't think its outside the realm of possibility Alkins stays more than one year at whichever college he goes to.

« Reply #491 on: December 30, 2015, 12:53:03 PM »
Hope he comes, but nice to know that this staff isn't putting all it's eggs in one basket.  Honestly think we have the best recruiters in the country in Matt & Slice, so Plan B (whatever it is) will be absolutely fine.

cjfish

« Reply #492 on: December 30, 2015, 01:23:23 PM »
Here we go again with the we don't want him sentiments. Yeah sure, we don't want a 5 star player because he might be "showcasing" himself by scoring 20 points a game. My goodness some people are insane.

If Rawle Alkins is here even for one year, the team and program become MUCH better. Alkins would not make this team worse. The fact that he's most likely a one and done shouldn't scare anybody because Kentucky and Duke have been to final 4s and won national championships with those types of players. Now I know we are not those programs but that should be even more of a reason why we should go after this kid.

I'm also not entirely sold on the fact that he's definitely going to be a one and done. He's obviously very good but he's not on the Towns, Okafor or Ben Simmons level where he'd be a guaranteed lottery pick if he left after his freshman season. Whitehead was thought to be a one and done at SHU but he's there for round 2. I don't think its outside the realm of possibility Alkins stays more than one year at whichever college he goes to.

Agree completely, can in no way hurt the development of the program

Poison

« Reply #493 on: December 30, 2015, 01:25:13 PM »
Of course we want him. It's nuts to say we don't want him. It's also to nuts to say we have to get him if we know we have Lovett and Ponds. As far as going pro after one year, he just might but plans can change when you get to college. Lopez couldn't shoot, and he had no idea when to get in the lane against BE competition. So, he stayed put until he learned how.

« Reply #494 on: December 30, 2015, 01:58:55 PM »
We just had a bunch of 4 year starters and upperclassmen with a ton of experience and we backed into the tourney and got waxed in the 1st round. Mix in a top talent and we are in business

« Reply #495 on: December 30, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »
If he's a good kid I don't care if he's 1 and done. Kids with their head on straight will do well wherever they go. If it's a nutcase like whitehead then we stay away.

Johnny23

« Reply #496 on: December 30, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
Definitely take a kid like Rawle if he wants to come to St. John's. Top 10 national prospects don't come around often, especially for a program with the track record of SJU over last 10 years. As long as he's well behaved off the court it's all upside to having him here for a year minimum.

« Reply #497 on: December 30, 2015, 02:24:42 PM »
Reminds me of Rodney Purvis. Which is pretty damn good but not one and done. Obviously in this case, the NY factor is big.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #498 on: December 30, 2015, 11:34:12 PM »

« Reply #499 on: December 31, 2015, 12:21:13 AM »
http://www.jonperezsports.com/writing/rawle-alkins-update-123015

Thanks...  one letter seems to summarize him... " I"

Afraid to count how many times it appeared or a variant of.

But as a 17 yr old highly recruited kid, I get it....and would still be a plus if we landed him but not getting the feel that it's in the cards for us.

Hope Mullin is consistent with his text frequency.... need to be careful about Richmond being mentioned in recruiting context.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:38:27 AM by RedStormNC »