Kassoum Yakwe

• 53 replies

Marillac

Re: Kassoum Yakwe?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 03:19:34 PM »
In four years when Yakwe, Lovett and Ponds are all seniors we should be primed for a deep NCAA run, except Yakwe will run out of eligibility after the fall semester. Is there anything that can be done to have him available for the spring semester of their senior year?

Yakwe has three years left. It goes by seasons not semesters. You play one game, you burn the whole season unless there is a medical redshirt.

Yakwe could be very, very good but to put him in the top ten or even top 20 after last year when we have the defending national champs and few other big time teams is just crazy.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »
Who is ahead of him?

Josh Hart
Kris Jenkins
Kelan Martin
Treveon Bluett
khadeen  Carrington
Jalen Brunson
LJ Peak
Angel Delgado
Maurice Watson
Edmond Sumner
Desi Rodriguez

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm missing a few. But I think he'll be close

LJ Peak and Isaac Copeland are further along than him, but that doesn't mean that Yakwe can't catch up by November. Is Groselle back next year? I thought I saw that he got another year. He owned us at Carnesecca. Yakwe is more athletic, but he needs to learn how to read the defenses faster. He's all instinct now. Guy like Groselle just abused all of our interior defenders. Maybe Garrett Jr. IDK how good Eli Cain is. I'm curious to see what Bullock can do now he's probably the man. Yakwe could be better than all of these guys. His improvement will go a long way in recruiting players like Tucker who are looking for a plan for the player. I think most of us agree that out of our 4 returning sophomores, Yakwe has the most upside.

Not impressed with either Cain or Garrett. Seems like Garrett hasn't gotten any better

I just listed a bunch of possibilities. I'm not sure any of them are going to get that much better. A lot of them have already shown progress from their freshman to sophomore seasons. Yakwe hasn't had that summer to come back significantly better from yet. He could be a 1st team player if he prepares like Chris Mullin did for all we know. Stranger things have happened.

QuanMan

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
Billy Garrett and Duane Wilson should have huge years next year, they should be in the elite conversation. I would include Lovett too.  Also Creighton has a high quality transfer in Marcus Foster (KSt. PG, Junior) who is going to put up big numbers from the jump.

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 03:47:19 PM »
Billy Garrett and Duane Wilson should have huge years next year, they should be in the elite conversation. I would include Lovett too.  Also Creighton has a high quality transfer in Marcus Foster (KSt. PG, Junior) who is going to put up big numbers from the jump.

I think Cheatham  is Marquettes best player

Foad

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 05:22:17 PM »
I really like Yakwe, but developing a mid range jump shot is not a given. It is like when they say he is a good fielder and if he can learn to hit... At this point he is a very high energy / athletic guy in an 8 man rotation. Lets start there and be happy. 

Wut? He's among the most talented freshmen I've ever seen. He has an insanely high upside.

Ray Oyler was a good fielder who could have learned to hit. Freddy Patek, Bud Harrelson ditto. This is a different world. 

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 06:00:17 PM »
Last year 50th in the league in scoring (on 6 FG apg), 22nd in rebounding (9 per 40 minutes), 1st in blocks. Played 23 minutes a game. Should have been a senior in high school. When he develops a mid range jumper he's going to be unstoppable. Free throws are an issue. Has the potential to be one of the great players in school history if he stays 4 years. Yes, that's me gushing.

I really like Yakwe, but developing a mid range jump shot is not a given. It is like when they say he is a good fielder and if he can learn to hit....
At this point he is a very high energy / athletic guy in an 8 man rotation. Lets start there and be happy. 

Maybe for Villanova. I think he can be a star even if he never develops a jumper if he starts to make his FTs. He gets by his man at will facing up but he is such a lousy FT shooter that it negates that part of his game. He does a really good job of making himself available for passes. His ceiling is crazy. He just has a lot to prove before we put him top ten coming off an 8-win season.

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 06:23:50 PM »
I really like Yakwe, but developing a mid range jump shot is not a given. It is like when they say he is a good fielder and if he can learn to hit... At this point he is a very high energy / athletic guy in an 8 man rotation. Lets start there and be happy. 

Wut? He's among the most talented freshmen I've ever seen. He has an insanely high upside.

Ray Oyler was a good fielder who could have learned to hit. Freddy Patek, Bud Harrelson ditto. This is a different world. 
This not a diss. I hope yawke becomes Kevin Durant. But I don't think he will ever become a good shooter . Dom pointer 2.0 is what I am hopping for .  Dom surpassed postel as my favorite player ever.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 07:31:52 PM »
This not a diss. I hope yawke becomes Kevin Durant. But I don't think he will ever become a good shooter . Dom pointer 2.0 is what I am hopping for .  Dom surpassed postel as my favorite player ever.

Why don't you think he will be a good shooter, ever. Be specific. Lavor Postell was awful as a freshman and did not have half this kid's potential. He's Justin Burrell with a motor and a brain.

Dom Pointer was awful for three and a half years. Yawke has never been awful. All he has been is raw. For a freshman he was spectacular. I'm all in.

Moose

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:16 PM »
Am I the only one who clicked thinking it was bad news?
Remember who broke the Slice news

mkras99

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »

Nope.  Same here.

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 11:25:06 PM »

Is that a rhetorical question?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 08:59:06 AM »
Last year 50th in the league in scoring (on 6 FG apg), 22nd in rebounding (9 per 40 minutes), 1st in blocks. Played 23 minutes a game. Should have been a senior in high school. When he develops a mid range jumper he's going to be unstoppable. Free throws are an issue. Has the potential to be one of the great players in school history if he stays 4 years. Yes, that's me gushing.

WHoa, fun being optimistic

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »

Really?
Well as I said I do like him, just don't have your confidence in his ceiling. But hopefully for him he lives up to it or he will undoubtedly feel the wraith of your scorn :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:32:27 AM by we are sju »

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 09:58:03 AM »

Why don't you think he will be a good shooter, ever. Be specific. Lavor Postell was awful as a freshman and did not have half this kid's potential. He's Justin Burrell with a motor and a brain.

Dom Pointer was awful for three and a half years. Yawke has never been awful. All he has been is raw. For a freshman he was spectacular. I'm all in.

I like yakwe plenty. He had a great freshman year. Since the team sucked he had plenty of opportunities to shine. I don't think pointer sucked, he was just blocked from playing his best position. I think yakwe will be very good. I don't think he turns into Kevin Durant though.

Foad

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »
hopefully for him he lives up to it or he will undoubtedly feel the wraith of your scorn

Even if he never learns to shoot the worst he ends up being is a better version of Willie Glass.

Foad

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 10:41:41 AM »
I think yakwe will be very good. I don't think he turns into Kevin Durant though.

Very few people turn into Kevin Durant, which is why he's one of the five best basketball players in the galaxy. So no, probably not. Good call.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 10:57:06 AM »
I think yakwe will be very good. I don't think he turns into Kevin Durant though.

Very few people turn into Kevin Durant, which is why he's one of the five best basketball players in the galaxy. So no, probably not. Good call.
If yakwe became a shooter with his athleistism he would be like Kevin Durant .

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
hopefully for him he lives up to it or he will undoubtedly feel the wraith of your scorn

Even if he never learns to shoot the worst he ends up being is a better version of Willie Glass.

If he falls anywhere in the David Russell, Glass or Postell range I would be ecstatic as those were three of my favorite players.

goredmen

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 11:32:51 AM »

If yakwe became a shooter with his athleistism he would be like Kevin Durant .

Lol, no

Poison

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 12:03:11 PM »

If he falls anywhere in the David Russell, Glass or Postell range I would be ecstatic as those were three of my favorite players.

Well, how good were those players as freshman?