Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia

• 203 replies

crgreen

Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:20:07 PM »
Don't see a recruiting thread on this kid.  Plays at Carlisle here in Virginia.  One of the assistants told me Thon is definately hearing from the St. Johns staff.    This season led his team to a 29-2 record,  and put up 23.4 pts, 12.9 rebounds,  4.9 blks, 1.7 steals,  shot 58% from the field, 72% from the line, only 29% on 3s (26 of 89).   Actually, the 29% isn't THAT bad considering he's slightly over 7'0 tall.   And that this was his freshman year of high school.  A lot of folks have started comparing him to a high school phenom/legend from the VA/W.VA area a generation ago, Earl Jones.  (For those that don't know Earl, his pro career ended before it started with a horrific knee injury at the end of his college senior year.  He'd averaged almost 29 pts and 10 rebs that year, and for his 4 years, 23 pts and 11 rebs).

Anyway, great to hear the staff is on him early.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:05:18 PM by kjd01067 »

paultzman

Re: Thon Maker....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »
A more athletic Manute Bol? GT also checking him out.

Can this be moved to 2016 recruiting?
http://ballislife.com/thon-maker-dc/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:33:05 PM by paultzman »

uwsfan

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 08:02:03 PM »
A more athletic Manute Bol? GT also checking him out.

More like Ralph Sampson given his skill level. Could be a future all-time great

kob24

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
Waaaay better than Bol. That kid bust my younger team ass. And we had a squad

pmg911

Re: Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »
Freshmen get you thinking
In Hampton, there were some young guys in the building who played and acted older than their years. Mega talent Thon Maker was a standout with the Boo Williams 17-and-under squad. What was most impressive about him was that he embraced his size but then used his skill properly. Trust me, the kid can shoot. But instead of anchoring himself to the perimeter, Maker played a big part in the paint, where he’s tall, slender and savvy around the hoop. His freshman counterpart, power forward Harry Giles, is the best prospect in high school basketball in my opinion. These two guys quietly made significant impressions on everyone who saw them. On the biggest travel team stage, they more than belonged.

crgreen

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
Freshmen get you thinking
In Hampton, there were some young guys in the building who played and acted older than their years. Mega talent Thon Maker was a standout with the Boo Williams 17-and-under squad. What was most impressive about him was that he embraced his size but then used his skill properly. Trust me, the kid can shoot. But instead of anchoring himself to the perimeter, Maker played a big part in the paint, where he’s tall, slender and savvy around the hoop. His freshman counterpart, power forward Harry Giles, is the best prospect in high school basketball in my opinion. These two guys quietly made significant impressions on everyone who saw them. On the biggest travel team stage, they more than belonged.

Down here were he goes to high school, Thon continues to draw comparisons from old-timers to late 70's-early 80's West Virginia phenom Earl Jones...(A severe knee injury destroyed Earl's pro career before it got started, but in his 4 years of college he put up 19.7pts 13.3 rebs as a frosh, 23.6 pts 10.6 rebs as a soph, 24.2 pts 10.2 rebs as a Jr, and 28.6 pts 9.7 rebs as a Sr - he shot 59% from the field and 84% from the line that year, and blocked 432 shots in his 4 years.) 

I think I posted early last season that one opposing high school coach told me Thon was the best frosh he'd ever seen.   Lot of high school coaches say such things.  But this HS coach has a unique perspective - 34 years ago, he was head coaching Indiana State and Larry Bird to the NCAA title game against Magic and Michigan State  - Bill Hodges...

Really lookiing forward this coming season to getting down to NorthCarolina to see Harry Giles play.  My health kept me pretty much bound to the local area this past season....

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:08:02 PM »

Really lookiing forward this coming season to getting down to NorthCarolina to see Harry Giles play.  My health kept me pretty much bound to the local area this past season....

Best thing I have heard on this board in a while is that your health is improving - God Bless

kob24

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 04:19:33 PM »
Harry Giles is nice. To me the 2015 class and 2016 class is where Lav can do some real damage

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 05:33:12 PM »
I'd just sign him because he has a cool name.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »

By that logic, we need to make a run at Diamond Stone  :D

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »
he will come cheaper than my fiancees engagement ring. lol

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 08:07:04 AM »
* MaxPreps Freshman All-American Thon Maker, a near-7-footer by way of Sudan and Australia who we detailed in this story last August, made the trip to Southern California. There was nothing particularly notable about his showing Friday night, but a conversation with mentor Edward Smith did produce this nugget: Thon will be joined at Carlisle School (Martinsville, Va.) next fall by younger brother Matur, who will be a freshman and is already 6-9.

“@Jason_Hickman: News and notes from Friday night at Pangos All-American Camp, including Joseph Toye, Thon Maker and Wade Baldwin: http://t.maxpreps.com/17cQHlT

crgreen

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »

Well, the fact he's Rivals #4 player in the entire 2015 class MIGHT also be a a reason to go after him.  :)

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »
I haven't seen anything on this center who is also with the Boo Williams program a year behind Maker.  I'm not sure if the staff made any inquiries yet, or how hard it might be to pry Bam Bam Adebayo (6'8", 240, 2016) out of Carolina, but he's worth a look as a Oblockpa replacement come 2016.

Not starting a thread, as I've seen nothing in any of my searching for a connection just yet.

http://prospect-central.blogspot.com/2012/09/player-profile-class-of-2016-edrice-bam.html#.Up542NJDtEI
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:05:03 PM by bball purist »

boo3

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 11:09:54 PM »

LoganK

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 10:35:51 AM »
Holy Crap....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZaJFd4aSk

Wow.  Little bit of a KD/KG combo.  First comp that came to mind.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 11:07:29 AM »
Holy Crap....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZaJFd4aSk
But if he grows a few more inches they might call in the Ralph Sampson comparison since he's playing in VA.  Very nice foot work.
Wow.  Little bit of a KD/KG combo.  First comp that came to mind.
But if he grows a few more inches they might call in the Ralph Sampson comparison since he's playing in VA.  Very nice foot work.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:17:49 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
Yea he looks crazy good on mixtape and he is a special talent but he is still very raw.

He is a sure fire pro baring any injury but he gets pushed around a lot down low and isn't as skilled on the perimeter as this video makes him out to be. He has 0 chance of going to St. John's.

His recruitment will drag out too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »
Yea he looks crazy good on mixtape and he is a special talent but he is still very raw.

He is a sure fire pro baring any injury but he gets pushed around a lot down low and isn't as skilled on the perimeter as this video makes him out to be. He has 0 chance of going to St. John's.

Dave - do you think UVa has a shot, or will it be Puke,Heels,Kentucky,Indiana,etc?

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »

Dave - do you think UVa has a shot, or will it be Puke,Heels,Kentucky,Indiana,etc?

No to UVA, Duke, Indiana, Tar Heels, or Kentucky.

I think I'd lean more towards Kansas as an early prediction. Baylor or UCLA is possible too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle