Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia

• 203 replies

derk

Re: Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2015, 09:48:37 PM »
In recent zags article ponds said he was workin on maker, As wel as few others

The value of signing a top kid early in the year. Something we haven't been able to benefit from in recent years.

« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2015, 10:12:32 PM »
Not since Mo was the pied piper in 2010....

Wods317

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2015, 09:11:04 AM »
http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/thon-maker-column-getting-bigger-better-and-us-colleges-are-circling-aussie-hoops-phenom/story-e6frf3f3-1227691671627

He consistently mentions us along with those other 4 schools. Doesn't seem like we have a great shot from what everyone says but maybe we can get him on campus and impress him.

goredmen

« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Arizona State just got a commitment from Thon's cousin Daniel Mading. I think Thon ends up with Hurley at ASU

Moose

« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2015, 11:41:19 PM »
Arizona State just got a commitment from Thon's cousin Daniel Mading. I think Thon ends up with Hurley at ASU

I didn't realize they were cousins
All makes much more sense now
Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2015, 11:22:52 PM »
Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels  3m3 minutes ago
2016 five-star Thon Maker & his team will visit St. John's tomorrow after playing in @TheGrindSession event in NYC.

« Reply #107 on: December 31, 2015, 05:48:17 AM »
Nice!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #108 on: December 31, 2015, 11:59:14 AM »
@Joshua_Newman: I caught a couple of minutes with Thon Maker, and I accidentally broke the news to him that he's going to St. John's after. Whoops.

@J_Schneider: @Joshua_Newman that personifies how recruiting works these days pretty well

@Joshua_Newman: @J_Schneider You should've seen Maker's face. Kid had no idea. None.

Johnny23

« Reply #109 on: December 31, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
The Hurley connection with St. Ant's and ASU will be tough to beat. That said, I think Thon is his own person and will choose what's best for him as the spotlight will be squarely on him wherever he goes.

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2016, 02:50:11 PM »
Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria
Thon Maker's guardian Ed Smith tells The 4 Quarters Podcast that he spoke to Chris Mullin & Slice and would like to visit St. John's

Adam Zagoria
‏@AdamZagoria
Ed Smith says Thon Maker will likely limit it to 5 schools on his list: ASU, KU, Indiana, Notre Dame and SJU. But he could add a school.

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »
The Hurley connection with St. Ant's and ASU will be tough to beat. That said, I think Thon is his own person and will choose what's best for him as the spotlight will be squarely on him wherever he goes.

Where does St. Anthony's fit into this equation? I'm confused.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2016, 05:22:49 PM »

Doesn't. The relationship is with an ASU assistant coach;
http://www.pacifictakes.com/arizona-state-sun-devils/2015/6/6/8726457/asu-sun-devils-basketball-recruiting-thon-maker-deron-davis-taurean-thompson

Johnny23

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »

The St. Ant's connection being Mading, Thon's cousin who just committed to ASU.

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2016, 06:51:31 PM »

except that if Thon only stays one year, he and his cousin wouldn't even play together as they are one class apart. 

I think Paultzman's post of the ASU connection seems more plausible

Johnny23

« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:49 PM »

except that if Thon only stays one year, he and his cousin wouldn't even play together as they are one class apart. 

I think Paultzman's post of the ASU connection seems more plausible

I never said that it wasn't plausible and it's obvious that the connection is the asst coach and not Hurley. That said, I meant that the Hurley connection can only reinforce ASU as a prominent option, not that it's the main reason he's looking there. It can only help.

paultzman

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2016, 07:38:41 PM »
Per Jeff Borzello
Another recruiting nugget from my sit-down with Thon Maker yesterday: he might take an unofficial visit to St. John's early next week.

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »
Per Jeff Borzello
Another recruiting nugget from my sit-down with Thon Maker yesterday: he might take an unofficial visit to St. John's early next week.
Great timing as we don't play any midweek games. Who says our staff isn't brilliant?

boo3

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
I am not a huge fan of Thon in the big scheme, but I would certainly be happy to have him at SJU.   Its seems like an odd recruit to have interest in SJU. I wonder what the connection is.  My only guess would be Mullin's relationship with Manute Bol, who was well regarded in Thon's native Sudan.

Why not? Thon fits in any scheme. He runs rim to rim like a maniac and plays incredibly hard. Much like Cheick Diallo but bigger. Connection is Slice and Ed Smith, Thon's guardian. I think it's a long shot he ever suits up for college game. Interesting how Evan positioned this tweet with a bias towards ASU. He's really close with ASU assistant Brian Merritt. However I would consider ASU the favorite as they've been in there from day 1.
Agree Dave, perhaps you should have asked Marillac what his "big scheme" is.  :)

NBA future relative to his hype.

I like my centers to rebound and stay near the basket.  I don't want to see jumpers and dribbling. 

Very archaic way of thinking..NBA game has evolved tremendously.  How many back to basket centers are there anymore?  Not many at all.   Shooting threes, playing in PnR, rebounding are the new norms for bigs.  Towns, Porzingis, etc... These type of hybrid centers are where the NBA game is headed.   

golden state is at its best when Draymond is playing center.  That says it all.