Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia

• 203 replies

Wods317

Re: Thon Maker - C - Carlisle HS - Australia
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »
Kind of reminds me of Porzingis
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #122 on: January 19, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »
Visiting today thru tomorrow.

goredmen

« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2016, 07:47:17 PM »
Yankuba Sima Fatty ‏@Yankusima  3h3 hours ago
Kassoum, Tariq, Thon Maker and Sima in one team?? Mmm, that sounds like ain't nobody going to the rim... Block Party!! 👋🏾 #sjubb 🏀🔴⚪️

Marillac

« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »
I am not a huge fan of Thon in the big scheme, but I would certainly be happy to have him at SJU.   Its seems like an odd recruit to have interest in SJU. I wonder what the connection is.  My only guess would be Mullin's relationship with Manute Bol, who was well regarded in Thon's native Sudan.

Why not? Thon fits in any scheme. He runs rim to rim like a maniac and plays incredibly hard. Much like Cheick Diallo but bigger. Connection is Slice and Ed Smith, Thon's guardian. I think it's a long shot he ever suits up for college game. Interesting how Evan positioned this tweet with a bias towards ASU. He's really close with ASU assistant Brian Merritt. However I would consider ASU the favorite as they've been in there from day 1.
Agree Dave, perhaps you should have asked Marillac what his "big scheme" is.  :)

NBA future relative to his hype.

I like my centers to rebound and stay near the basket.  I don't want to see jumpers and dribbling. 

Very archaic way of thinking..NBA game has evolved tremendously.  How many back to basket centers are there anymore?  Not many at all.   Shooting threes, playing in PnR, rebounding are the new norms for bigs.  Towns, Porzingis, etc... These type of hybrid centers are where the NBA game is headed.   

golden state is at its best when Draymond is playing center.  That says it all.

Have you read my posts?  I love playing small.  I screamed for Dom to play PF for four years.  I don't like 7-footers dribbling.  End of story.   There are a few bigs like Garnett, KP, Love, etc. that can play well on the perimeter and that is great.  I'd take any of then because they rebound and defend at elite levels.  I'm not convinced Thon can be that kind of NBA player so I don't care about him handling like a guard.

As for college, I'd take him in a heartbeat as I posted.  When I first posted this, Thon was getting #1 overall hype and evaluation was based on his hype.  I think he could stick around the NBA for some time, but I don't see him as a lottery talent just as I didn't see Embiid that way either.

« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2016, 09:12:04 PM »
Yankuba Sima Fatty ‏@Yankusima  3h3 hours ago
Kassoum, Tariq, Thon Maker and Sima in one team?? Mmm, that sounds like ain't nobody going to the rim... Block Party!! 👋🏾 #sjubb 🏀🔴⚪️

Positive sign that Sima does not view a potential addition of Maker as a threat to him, playing time etc.

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
any body here any positive feed back about maker visit

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2016, 06:53:50 PM »

I heard he said,  "The visit was good."

goredmen

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2016, 08:58:30 PM »

I heard he said,  "The visit was good."

Just once I want to hear a high school kid say "that visit sucked" when asked that question about any visit

paultzman

« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2016, 06:05:37 PM »
Zag's tweet
Ed Smith says he and Thon Maker were impressed w/ the NBA experience on the St. John's staff and they stand a good chance for an official

redslope

« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2016, 06:45:24 PM »
Zag's tweet
Ed Smith says he and Thon Maker were impressed w/ the NBA experience on the St. John's staff and they stand a good chance for an official

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie--oy, oy, oy!  Would love to hear this chanted at SJU next year.

Wods317

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2016, 06:53:25 PM »
Have heard from people including people who post here that he is far from a sure thing to even play at any college next year. I really like that we are in the mix but I still think there is a very very small chance he suits up for us next year. This is one of those recruits where you plan to not have him but if you do get him it would be icing on the cake.

« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2016, 07:55:09 PM »
I know most people are the board are going to kill me but I hope the staff is a great finisher like lavin was when he first became coach

He just got to lazy at the end but when he wanted to he could finish with the best of them

Marillac

« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2016, 08:23:17 PM »
Have heard from people including people who post here that he is far from a sure thing to even play at any college next year. I really like that we are in the mix but I still think there is a very very small chance he suits up for us next year. This is one of those recruits where you plan to not have him but if you do get him it would be icing on the cake.

The staff has us in a position that we don''t need him.  Sima, Yakwe, Owens, and AA can do very well next year.  Thon in the fold just makes them better.  That is the way to after these one or two and dones.

Foad

« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2016, 08:54:26 PM »
he could finish with the best of them

So could Rico. Keady was another story entirely.

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2016, 07:01:16 PM »
Assuming everyone saw that picture of ponds and thon maker hanging out. Still think rawle is more likely to come than thon maker but I guess it can't be a bad thing. If anything, ponds is trying his best to get others in the mix which is great to see.

cjfish

« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »
Seems like Pond is working on recruiting, a great thing.  If Maker comes our frontline will be unbelievable, opponents driving to the hoop will have a real problem.  10+ blocks everygame.

paultzman

« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:50 AM »
Seems like Pond is working on recruiting, a great thing.  If Maker comes our frontline will be unbelievable, opponents driving to the hoop will have a real problem.  10+ blocks everygame.

Not getting my hopes up on Maker

cjfish

« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
Agreed.....WIll be good without him, great with