Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 458 replies

MCNPA

Re: Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #400 on: March 18, 2016, 09:53:13 PM »
Hutchinson down 2 at the half.  The game is streaming and very clear at njcaa site.  Ans poision, you might think it's small time, but nice sized arena with packed house.  Get a glimpse of Bashir.  Interestingly enough, Ranger CC is coached by Billy Gillespie.   Talk about Icarus' flight... From head coach of UK to Ranger CC...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:59:53 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #401 on: March 18, 2016, 10:04:44 PM »
Hutchinson down 2 at the half.  The game is streaming and very clear at njcaa site.  Ans poision, you might think it's small time, but nice sized arena with packed house.  Get a glimpse of Bashir.  Interestingly enough, Ranger CC is coached by Billy Gillespie.   Talk about Icarus' flight... From head coach of UK to Ranger CC...

Playing opposite the NCAA is not only small time, it's bad judgement. But it's juco.

MCNPA

« Reply #402 on: March 18, 2016, 10:08:52 PM »

Playing opposite the NCAA is not only small time, it's bad judgement. But it's juco.

It's only online but it's a heck of a game actually.  Bashir on bench with 3 fouls.  Should be back in soon.

Poison

« Reply #403 on: March 18, 2016, 10:38:33 PM »

It's only online but it's a heck of a game actually.  Bashir on bench with 3 fouls.  Should be back in soon.

Thanks for sharing. Much appreciated.

MCNPA

« Reply #404 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:15 PM »
Bashir not playing much due to 4 fouls.  It's OT now.   Bashir is excellent rebounder for a wing.  Great with both hands.  Nice athlete.  Very savy down low.  His biggest weakness is that he shoots a flat shot when he rushes his offense.  Mullin can fix that.  Ahmed has the whole package but must be more focused when getting "creative" on offense.  Very talented kid.  Needs to take more jumpshots and learn to release properly when off balance. 

TheVig

« Reply #405 on: March 18, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »
Not a good showing in 2h and ot although limited minutes as mcn mentioned

« Reply #406 on: March 18, 2016, 11:01:51 PM »
Bashir in foul trouble second half and missed all but one  FG and all the FTs he took in second half. Went to foul line up 3 with 4 seconds left and bricked both that would have iced game. Ranger missed heave at buzzer so Bashir advanced to final as teammates bailed him out. Hope he plays better tomorrow and they claim the championship.

Marillac

« Reply #407 on: March 18, 2016, 11:04:50 PM »
Worst I've ever seen him play. Team picked him up. Ranger was well coached by Billy Gillespie--former UK coach. Game plan was to take Ahmed and  Semaji-Jones out of game and let supporting players beat them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:06:25 PM by Marillac »

MCNPA

« Reply #408 on: March 18, 2016, 11:06:43 PM »
Yeah not a great game with foul trouble early.  Bashir usually a double-double machine.  Hutch survives and gets to play in NC tomorrow.  SJU fans should keep an eye out on that game.  Pretty sure Bashir will be ready to go...

« Reply #409 on: March 19, 2016, 10:29:39 PM »
Have seen the last 2 1/2 games Ahmed has played. In champioship game they lost to a team with 8 losses playing an extra game as in 5 games in 5 days and lost by 10. Think Bashir finished with 20 but was 0 for 7 or 8 from 3. Think he will need year to adjust to BE level of play and we will be lucky if he can replace DJ's production next year.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:59:46 PM by Celtics11 »

Marillac

« Reply #410 on: March 19, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
Have seen the last 2 1/2 games Ahmed has played. In champioship game they lost to a team with 8 losses playing an extra game as in 5 games in 5 days and lost by 10. Think Bashir finished with 20 but was ) for 7 or 8 from 3. Think he will need year to adjust to BE level of play and we will be lucky if he can replace DJ's production next year.

Looked physically worn down to me. Other guys didn't look for him enough and he's asked to do everything for them close to basket.  He's a comlementary scorer year one.  Don't expect an alpha scorer.

paultzman

« Reply #411 on: March 19, 2016, 11:46:40 PM »
The Blue Dragons are a national runner-up for the third time in program history, also occurring in 1949 and 1973

Bashir Ahmed leads the Blue Dragons with 22 points. Samajae Haynes-Jones has 11 and Shakur Juiston has 11.

Bashir Ahmed, Akbar Hoffman, and Keanu Pinder named to the 2016 All-Tournament team.

@bluedragonsport

« Reply #412 on: March 19, 2016, 11:54:42 PM »
Have seen the last 2 1/2 games Ahmed has played. In champioship game they lost to a team with 8 losses playing an extra game as in 5 games in 5 days and lost by 10. Think Bashir finished with 20 but was ) for 7 or 8 from 3. Think he will need year to adjust to BE level of play and we will be lucky if he can replace DJ's production next year.

Agree.  Sometimes, JUCO guys take time to adjust and are better as seniors.  Norm was crucified for Hardy and Brownlee when it is possible that those guys just progressed in their 2nd year in the program.

MCNPA

« Reply #413 on: March 20, 2016, 02:18:49 AM »

Looked physically worn down to me. Other guys didn't look for him enough and he's asked to do everything for them close to basket.  He's a comlementary scorer year one.  Don't expect an alpha scorer.
[/quote
Disagree marillac... He's gonna be a killer.  Maybe a little sloppy at first but a killer.. We have others up front too. There aren't two better offensive rebounders than Yakwe and Ahmed with their strength and ability...

« Reply #414 on: March 20, 2016, 02:15:56 PM »

[/quote
Disagree marillac... He's gonna be a killer.  Maybe a little sloppy at first but a killer.. We have others up front too. There aren't two better offensive rebounders than Yakwe and Ahmed with their strength and ability...
MCNPA taking over the title of King of hyperbole from Marillac.

MCNPA

« Reply #415 on: March 20, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
Not trying to add hyperbole.   Kids just hustles and is good on the glass.  I think he's really gonna help us.  He really goes after it.

Poison

« Reply #416 on: March 20, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »

I seem to remember a certain poster saying something to that effect recently. Oh well, must have been my imagination.

Poison

« Reply #417 on: March 20, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

Agree.  Sometimes, JUCO guys take time to adjust and are better as seniors.  Norm was crucified for Hardy and Brownlee when it is possible that those guys just progressed in their 2nd year in the program.

Norm should have been crucified. Lavin moved Hardy to the point. He gets the credit for Hardy's career. All of it. Norm almost ruined him completely having come off the bench to back up Horne and DJ.

« Reply #418 on: March 20, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
I love when NYERS come back home and play for SJU

Marillac

« Reply #419 on: March 20, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »

I seem to remember a certain poster saying something to that effect recently. Oh well, must have been my imagination.

Ummm, no.  Had you said that, it would have been reasonable. Nothing about you is reasonable anymore. You said repeatedly--seems to be the only way you say anything--that he was completely "unknown" and has been entirely "invisible" for two years. You said we can't count on in for anything. I'm saying let's not expect him to be an alpha scorer, but I full expect him to contribute on the glass, as a secondary scoring option, and hopefully defensively.  I am optimistic given his physical talent and skill, but I also realize I cheer for St. John's and not a lot breaks our way.