Kostas Antetokounmpo SF Milwaukee Wisc

• 164 replies

TONYD3

Re: Kostas Antetokounmpo SF Milwaukee Wisc
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2016, 09:15:23 AM »
Addition by subtraction is joked about on here. But last years team was better without Sampson then with him.

Zzzz. Teams that are one year older are almost always better than they were when they were one year younger. I thought you were a teacher? That's pedagogy in a nutshell, sixth graders are better at math than fifth graders, how'd you manage to miss that? 
I don't disagree. My point is the team lost Sampson. And I don't think he sucked and got no one. And was better. They also lost the Dominican older player, who wasn't great but not bad and still were better.
Joey Delarosa played last year.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:18:57 AM by TONYD3 »

Tha Kid

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2016, 09:41:03 AM »
Addition by subtraction is joked about on here. But last years team was better without Sampson then with him.

Doesn't mean Sampson was the problem.  All of his NBA teams seem pretty pleased with him.  With right coaching and using him properly perhaps he would have been a total stud here....
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »

Zzzz. Teams that are one year older are almost always better than they were when they were one year younger. I thought you were a teacher? That's pedagogy in a nutshell, sixth graders are better at math than fifth graders, how'd you manage to miss that? 
I don't disagree. My point is the team lost Sampson. And I don't think he sucked and got no one. And was better. They also lost the Dominican older player, who wasn't great but not bad and still were better.

2 primary reasons for this IMO:

1.  WASJU harped on all season --- there were less quality players which equated to less ways Lavin could F the lineups up.  He was forced to play his best and the right guys bc there was no other choice.

2.  Sir'Dom improved SIGNIFICANTLY while the others all improved at least a bit.  We had a BE Player of the YEar candidate on our team last year.  We didnt the year before.  Makes a big difference.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2016, 09:46:11 AM »

Okay. At the risk of sounding like a pretentious d bag - or more of one - that is an example of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy: because A followed B, B caused A. Because my alarm clock went off before the sun rose the sun rose because my alarm clock went off. Correlation is not causation.

The team got better because they were all seniors - just like Lavin's only other successful team - and was bigger and stronger and more experienced than the teams they beat. The team got better because the light bulb went on for Dom Pointer, because Jordan played like a sophomore rather than a freshman, because Phil Greene started making more threes than he clanked. The team did not get better because the guy who averaged 13 points a game while shooting 50 percent from the floor went to the NBA. In fact, the team - which underachieved - might have been more successful had Sampson played Branch's minutes, because Branch was garbage.

Wods317

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2016, 11:23:08 AM »
Thought there would be news on KA not Jakarr Sampson

ras

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2016, 01:37:54 PM »
Lavins team underachieved w Sampson, not blaming Sampson. Taking half the season to find a lineup didn't help. Had the talent and depth to be tourney team. IMO
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:38:19 PM by ras »

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2016, 03:56:26 PM »
Sampson was a fantastic individual talent and we sucked with him.  Manhattan sucked with Jermaine Lawrence.  I don't like 6'8 + combo forwards thinking they are Kevin Durant before they are ready.  There are plenty of guys that end up developing from combo-type forwards into small forwards, but it's not an easy transition and it's tough in college with so many guards playing the three.

I'd rather have a smaller and less physically talented player with more skill like a Postell type. 

Foad

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2016, 05:24:56 PM »
Sampson was a fantastic individual talent and we sucked with him.  Manhattan sucked with Jermaine Lawrence.  I don't like 6'8 + combo forwards thinking they are Kevin Durant before they are ready.  There are plenty of guys that end up developing from combo-type forwards into small forwards, but it's not an easy transition and it's tough in college with so many guards playing the three.

I'd rather have a smaller and less physically talented player with more skill like a Postell type. 

Lavor Postell was garbage his first two years at SJU. He was very good as as a junior and senior, when he averaged what Sampson did as a freshman.

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2016, 06:12:21 PM »

Lavor Postell was garbage his first two years at SJU. He was very good as as a junior and senior, when he averaged what Sampson did as a freshman.

Durand Johnson had similar averages.  Someone has to get the stats.  Postell embraced his role as a secondary scorer, rebounded like a mad man, defended with effort and did the little things.  This new age of Durant wannabees only want to score like a SG. 

Guys like Sampson come to campus and they are such athletic freaks that the coaches and teammates let them get away with murder.  As soon as they can whipe their asses without falling over, they go pro, so it's a constant threat and gives them leverage in college.  Sampson goes pro, and he becomes the secondary player he should have been at SJU, doing all of the little things to survive in the league.   His leverage is gone. 

Poison

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2016, 06:31:13 PM »

Bite your tongue. If we had a player that could give us Lavor Postell's sophomore year, we'd have an all BE talent next year. He most certainly didn't suck as a sophomore. The improvement he made from his freshman year to his sophomore year is what this program should consider the gold standard.

In an ideal world, that is what Ellison can turn into. But he'll have to work his butt off to achieve it.

« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »
Is KA going to visit or is any of the transfer going to visit.

Don't want the staff to get lazy like Lavin staff other than Tony Childs

I haven't really heard who the staff is after lately

Wods317

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2016, 06:57:09 PM »

It's a dead period. What would like to hear?

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2016, 07:07:23 PM »
Loved postell as a kid. Beast.

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
Loved postell as a kid. Beast.

"Loving" kids is illegal.

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »
lol let me rephrase... When I was a kid, I loved postell.

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2016, 08:21:47 PM »

Do you think you are entitled to hear something?

Moose

« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »

Wow
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2016, 08:44:10 PM »
Durand Johnson had similar averages. 

Uh huh. And Sampson had higher averages. Oops.

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »

IMO, Postell was "garbage" his first season, but he played fairly decently his sophomore season.  I recall him coming up huge in an early season game on the road versus Notre Dame during his sophomore campaign.  I also recall games versus Miami and West Virginia where he played well.  He also played solidly in the Big East Tournament, too.  It's been nearly 20 years, so some things are kinda vague, but I do recall his game taking a big step from his freshmen season to his sophomore season.  There use to be a site where you could view game-by-game individual stats, but it no longer exists. 

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2016, 11:46:06 PM »

Do you think you are entitled to hear something?

Haha!  He's trolling the forum.