Richard Freudenberg, SF, Germany - ST. JOHN'S

• 390 replies

Poison

Re: Richard Freudenberg, SF, Germany - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #340 on: March 27, 2016, 10:46:52 PM »
Let's not get crazy here. He's 17 years old and has never played against American competition, let alone Big east upperclassmen. While he is seen as possibly having pro potential, those evaluating him see that as far down the road.

He did it against Japan. That's good enough for me.

Marillac

« Reply #341 on: March 27, 2016, 11:55:53 PM »
Let's not get crazy here. He's 17 years old and has never played against American competition, let alone Big east upperclassmen. While he is seen as possibly having pro potential, those evaluating him see that as far down the road.

I don't disagree with you, but being ready for the NBA and being desired by the NBA, based on potential and what you could be, have never been further apart than in today's game.  He has plus size and length for the NBA, at least one plus skill (shooting), and has average NBA athleticism.  And his young age  and recent growth only makes him more worth the risk.  Fortunately for us, his body needs some development and he's saying all the right things about staying in school. 

He's the Captain of his extremely good U-18 national team and he's been covered by NBA draft scouts and writers for three years.  He's not the typical SJU international recruit.  We used to have to force ourselves to get excited over a kid like Tomas Jasuluinas or even Amar Alibegovic just making the national team and riding the bench or playing sparingly (in Amar's case).  I think you need to give any Euro a year to transition (look at the kid from Kansas) to the physicality and speed of the American game, but I think he and Ponds are kids that should be filed in the "should be good" pile unlike some of our past players that we just hoped could develop. 

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #342 on: March 28, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »
Any reason this thread isn't with the other committed prospects threads? I saw that this morning and almost had a heart attack lol.

« Reply #343 on: March 28, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »
Any reason this thread isn't with the other committed prospects threads? I saw that this morning and almost had a heart attack lol.

It is....

« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »
"Only thing I'm not sure about: was Mussini really regarded as highly as RF? I find that hard to believe."

FWIW, 247 had Mussini ranked as the 116th player in his class, with a .929 composite rating. Freudenberg is currently the 104th player in his class, with a .939 composite rating.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2016, 01:58:10 PM »

It is....

It wasn't before...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:58:28 PM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2016, 02:06:37 PM »

It is....

It wasn't before...

It has been since he committed....

« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »
RF's game reminds me some of Lydon on Syracuse.

« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »

Man I wish
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2016, 03:28:13 PM »

@heinnews tweeted

w 13 points, 12 rebounds, @RichardFreudenb has already picked up his third straight double double at #AST2016 (18/10; 15/10 in 1st 2 games)

derk

« Reply #350 on: March 28, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »

@heinnews tweeted

w 13 points, 12 rebounds, @RichardFreudenb has already picked up his third straight double double at #AST2016 (18/10; 15/10 in 1st 2 games)

Way to go kid. Keep it up.

« Reply #351 on: March 28, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
My impressions from watching him in 3 games: Team-first player, non-stop motor, very athletic for his size, better defender than I thought (quick feet), aggressive rebounder, good shot-blocking instincts, good handle for his size; can go left or right, no apparent post-up game.

He went to the line often and seems to be about a 75% free throw shooter. From what I observed, he made about a third of his 3-point shots but clearly has skill from 3-point range. He will get stronger and, if he stays 3 or 4 years, he will be a major contributor. We are very fortunate to get this kid.

« Reply #352 on: March 28, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
Does Lydon shoot it from three?  Thought he was primarily an inside guy.  But I did not watch a lot of Cuse this year.

« Reply #353 on: March 28, 2016, 04:39:27 PM »
Does Lydon shoot it from three?  Thought he was primarily an inside guy.  But I did not watch a lot of Cuse this year.

Yep.  Lydon is a sound shooter from deep.

Marillac

« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
If we are only going to compare him to white guys, Dunleavy is the obvious choice IMO.

« Reply #355 on: March 28, 2016, 08:12:59 PM »
I was thinking a slightly taller Richard Hamilton. 

« Reply #356 on: March 28, 2016, 08:47:33 PM »
"Only thing I'm not sure about: was Mussini really regarded as highly as RF? I find that hard to believe."

FWIW, 247 had Mussini ranked as the 116th player in his class, with a .929 composite rating. Freudenberg is currently the 104th player in his class, with a .939 composite rating.

Wow that's kind of crazy, at least after watching mussini for a year. I'm still a believer that he will be a solid contributor here, just surprised that with his lack of size speed and strength he was so highly regarded.

« Reply #357 on: March 28, 2016, 09:14:59 PM »
I was thinking a slightly taller Richard Hamilton. 
Rip was a scorer deluxe. Inside, outside, mid range game.

« Reply #358 on: March 28, 2016, 09:18:08 PM »
If we are only going to compare him to white guys, Dunleavy is the obvious choice IMO.
By all means compare him to a black guy. If I had to I would say Sidney Poitier.

« Reply #359 on: March 28, 2016, 09:29:50 PM »

Actually 247 has RF rated #54 in this class.  FM was I think just outside the top 100.

The composite rating is some kind of average across rankings from several websites.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!