Why does this staff deserve an extension?

• 200 replies
Why does this staff deserve an extension?
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:34:43 AM »
What will change? Where are the recruits?

1 NCAA appearance with Norms players. 
Lavin can recruit but can't do anything with the talent.
Player after player taking weeks off in the middle of the season for questionable reasons
Where is Felix?
Obekpa regressing and talking about the D league
Starting little used walk on in crucial games

Re: Why does this staff deserve an extension?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:12:09 AM »
Year 4 of rebuild from norm disaster - 1 NCAA appearance, 2 NIT. Those results get lavin an extension, in my opinion. He has met the expectations I had for what a good coach would do with this program as of 4 years ago.  Of course, I had higher expectations at the beginning of this year (and I'm very disappointed), but those expectations were solely the result of the players lavin has brought in and the flashes he has shown coaching, so I can't hold that against him.

Now, over the next 4 years I expect more. I think no less than 2 NCAA appearances, 1 nit/bubble, and at least a sweet sixteen.

Foad

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

Player after player taking weeks off in the middle of the season for questionable reasons
Where is Felix?

All Lavin is good at is recruiting. Without a contract he can't recruit. So they either have to extend him or fire him. Firing him would be a PR disaster. Much better that he makes the tournament next year and rides off into the sunset on his own terms. Of course in his case to ride off into the sunset he'll head due south and drown in Jamaica Bay. Poor Tony Chiles will be harpooned off Rockaway by a passing Japanese whaler. Only Keady will survive by using his toupee as a flotation device.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 09:46:50 AM »

Where is Felix?

All Lavin is good at is recruiting. Without a contract he can't recruit. So they either have to extend him or fire him. Firing him would be a PR disaster. Much better that he makes the tournament next year and rides off into the sunset on his own terms. Of course in his case to ride off into the sunset he'll head due south and drown in Jamaica Bay. Poor Tony Chiles will be harpooned off Rockaway by a passing Japanese whaler. Only Keady will survive by using his toupee as a flotation device.

And where are the recruits?

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 10:34:26 AM »
I would not be against a short extention. 5/6 years is STUPID!!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
I would not be against a short extention. 5/6 years is STUPID!!

Depends on the buy out.

For recruiting I would think any 2015 recruit would like to know that Lavin is under contract until 2019.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 10:38:30 AM »

Where is Felix?

1.Recruits are not here yet...He has sign players late before.

2. If SJU is going to fire him tell me a realistic candidate to replace him? Another fired coach does not help the program and it continue yes the stereotype of where coaches careers cone to die. Everybody wants stability to the program, but getting rid of Lavin just makes things worse, your not only going to replace the coach but the entire staff and then how many players will transfer and recruits we will lose?

3. The team is getting better and so our the recruits. One of the biggest challenges is balancing out the team where you don't have 10+ kids graduating (kids graduating is a good thing not just at the same time). Also when you have a balance class you can focus more on the type of player needed instead of getting what you can get. Polee's family really wasn't thrilled that he went East and with a big class it is not surprising he left.

4.  Despite all the drama nothing illegal has happened and the kids that staying will graduate. The kids that left were for personal reasons not something shady.

5. The team is going on year 4 but year 3 with Lavin's kids... This is a disappointing year without a doubt but not a back breaking year has people think it is...we improved on wins and actually controlled our destiny shooting 50% from the line is a joke... Expecting Harrison to get a call on that 3pt shot is like the Spurs getting the call in game 6. It was a bad shot selection and Harrison needed a bailout. If we miss the NCAA next year then we have plateaued

Lavin needs an extension because he is the best we have right now and not giving him one only handcuffs the program ultimately. He needs a year without drama and needs toke the NCAA next year. Scheduling a tougher OOC would help. I would say only a 3-4yr with an option for an additional 1yr.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 10:48:13 AM »
People always think the grass is greener, all we need is a new coach.

Give Lavin time to build St John's up give us some stability. Always remember you will never know how close we are to success if we give up. Keep the faith!!!!

ras

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
The question I ask is how good of an xo guy is Whitesill? I don't think Lavin is that good. What is the opinion of this board.? Would we be better off replacing him ((Whitesill) w an expert like a Dunlap? 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:55:01 AM by ras »

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
The question I ask is how good of an xo guy is Whitesill? I don't think Lavin is that good. What is the opinion of this board.? Would we be better off replacing him ((Whitesill) w an expert like a Dunlap?

The play and results of this year's team tell you all you need to know about Whitesell. He is not a master in game tactician, hell noone even knows who he is. He was some no name D2 or D3 coach before he came here. He's easily replaceable. The real question is will Lavin and the SJU admin open the wallet to bring in a big name asst coach? Not sure Lavin's ego can deal with it and not sure this admin will spend any big $$ to bring in a proven top bench coach. 

Yes this team would be considerably better if they had a true bench coach who was great at making in game adjustments and had a true handle of offensive 5 man basketball. Lavin is clueless in these areas as well as all other aspects of coaching. Good recruiter who better get some 2014 guys as lots of the top guys are already off the board.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »

Where is Felix?

2. If SJU is going to fire him tell me a realistic candidate to replace him? Another fired coach does not help the program and it continue yes the stereotype of where coaches careers cone to die. Everybody wants stability to the program, but getting rid of Lavin just makes things worse, your not only going to replace the coach but the entire staff and then how many players will transfer and recruits we will lose?

3. The team is getting better and so our the recruits. One of the biggest challenges is balancing out the team where you don't have 10+ kids graduating (kids graduating is a good thing not just at the same time). Also when you have a balance class you can focus more on the type of player needed instead of getting what you can get. Polee's family really wasn't thrilled that he went East and with a big class it is not surprising he left.

4.  Despite all the drama nothing illegal has happened and the kids that staying will graduate. The kids that left were for personal reasons not something shady.

5. The team is going on year 4 but year 3 with Lavin's kids... This is a disappointing year without a doubt but not a back breaking year has people think it is...we improved on wins and actually controlled our destiny shooting 50% from the line is a joke... Expecting Harrison to get a call on that 3pt shot is like the Spurs getting the call in game 6. It was a bad shot selection and Harrison needed a bailout. If we miss the NCAA next year then we have plateaued

Lavin needs an extension because he is the best we have right now and not giving him one only handcuffs the program ultimately. He needs a year without drama and needs toke the NCAA next year. Scheduling a tougher OOC would help. I would say only a 3-4yr with an option for an additional 1yr.

Boom.  It is why fans are not administrators, they love to spend other people's money and make decisions as if what they say is as easy as snapping your fingers.  I agree that not making the NCAAs was a failure.  But stop acting like it is a complete disaster because that is not fair either.  SJU will have gone to 3 post seasons in 4 years under Lavin with next year set to be really good. 

Should we be further along?  Yes.  But that is not the same as failure.

And look at this long distinguished list of MAAC coaches: Lappas, Fran, Gonzo, Welsh, Orr, McCaffrey and Willard.

Most of them have been fired already in many cases multiple times.  Some have had some success but even the "successful" ones have hardly set the world on fire.  McCaffrey is in just 4th year and is poised to go to the NCAAs finally but they are in the midst of a complete collapse here late losing 5 of 6.

There is zero guarantee Massiello would have SJU in a better spot then Lavin.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 11:34:56 AM »

Where is Felix?

Great post

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
Go look at Mick Cronin's first 4 years at Cincy.  No NCAAs and a 15 loss season where they needed a late surge with Lance just to make his first NIT.  And no winning conference seasons.

Look at McCaffrey at Siena.  3 straight regular season and Tourney titles an NCAA win over Ohio St and even brief appearances his last year in the top 25 as a MAAC school.

How has that translated to the B10?  His last two seasons at 9-9 are his best in 4 years?  You want him fired? 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 11:42:30 AM by fordham96 »

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
well they almost recruit as well as Cooley and his assistants and almost coach as well based on recent results.....

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »
Lavin should be extended.  Continuity is the most important thing.  That said, I'm extremely dismayed about our recruiting prospects for this 14' class.  Looks at face value like we missed out.  Are there any real prospects of us landing some impact guys?  If not, we seem doomed to underachieve once again next year with more bricklaying and teams packing it in.  We need some real recruits to fill the gaps where we have them, otherwise next year we won't be any better.

My biggest bone of contention is our lack of recruiting results right now at a critical time.  We can be very good next year, but as of now have addressed ZERO of our problem areas and there aren't impact players on the board to do so.  While I have faith in Lavin as a recruiter, I still have a hard time seeing where we are going to land the pieces we need to take a step forward.  Maybe somebody can shed some light.  Replacing Sanchez won't be easy, despite the jabs taken at him during the season.  He was a tough matchup as a big forward.

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 12:36:14 PM »
Its really lavins 2nd year coaching his new players.  I think we will consistently make the NCAA's going forward..give him the extension. This school has no other options at this point. At the very least he is an outstanding recruiter and has consistently proven that.  Talented recruits alone is enough to extend him...

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »
Wouldn't some JUCO players help fill the void and provide a nice transition to a big 15 class provided that the JUCO players can play 2years. Also provided that no one leaves the program. It seems that JUCO players are not covered as well as HS players going to college, there defiantly are some diamonds in the rough. 
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »
well they almost recruit as well as Cooley and his assistants and almost coach as well based on recent results.....
Who woke you up? Oh yeah, your brother Edward!

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 03:14:53 PM »

The play and results of this year's team tell you all you need to know about Whitesell. He is not a master in game tactician, hell noone even knows who he is. He was some no name D2 or D3 coach before he came here. He's easily replaceable. The real question is will Lavin and the SJU admin open the wallet to bring in a big name asst coach? Not sure Lavin's ego can deal with it and not sure this admin will spend any big $$ to bring in a proven top bench coach. 

Yes this team would be considerably better if they had a true bench coach who was great at making in game adjustments and had a true handle of offensive 5 man basketball. Lavin is clueless in these areas as well as all other aspects of coaching. Good recruiter who better get some 2014 guys as lots of the top guys are already off the board.

Actually he left a SUPERIOR program and coaching staff with  the St. Louis Bilikins to come here.

boo3

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 03:23:16 PM »
Good use of CAPS.   

Majerus did wonders everywhere he went.