Why does this staff deserve an extension?

• 200 replies

uwsfan

Re: Why does this staff deserve an extension?
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
I think he's done a good job rebuilding this program.  He's improved the talent level tremendously.

This is the first year that's been a slight disappointment.  But they were only a win or 2 away from what I thought they could be.  Hopefully we can put a run together in the NIT and everyone comes back.  If so we should have a real good year next year.

I take away as a bigger disappointment as once again if you compare last year to this year, last years Big East schedule was far superior to this years with the likes of the Cuse, Louisville, Cinci, Uconn, Etc. on the schedule.  SO a record of 10-8 in the Big East this year may not have even been as good as last years record.  SO WE HAVE HAD THE BENEFIT OF AN INFERIOR BIG EAST SCHEDULE AND ARE STILL ENDING UP IN THE SAME OLD NIT and thats improvement?

This is a very good point actually. Would probably have the same record as last year if the BE had not broken up. And would probably have had 20 wins last year if competing then in this conference.  The team hasnt really improved.

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »

I wouldn't say we are more talented than Nova or Creighton, but i wouldnt say they are more talented than we are either. We are WAY more talented than Xavier, Prov, Gtown etc. I'd say if the NCAA tournament field was selected before any games were played and only talent was taken into consideration we'd be a 7, 8 or 9 seed

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.  I don't see how anyone can say we are WAY more talented than those teams.

9 seed puts us at top 36 talent.  That's close...I would put us at 35-45 range maybe.  Problem is most of our talent is one dimensional.  You need to be able to score in today's game and we don't have enough offensive talent to be elite. 

Harrison fills it up, Sheed can get to the rim at will and is very good around the rim, Karr has perfected the mid range jumper and is good around the basket, Phil can shoot it, Branch is a solid passer and Sanchez can score and pass. Yes, we could use a legit shooter or 2 but we still have significant talent. The talent just doesnt get to come out much because guys like Greene are asked to do things they cant and our off-ball movement flat out sucks. Our offense consists of either a simple ball screen, playing 1 on 1, or a 1 on 1 drive and kick. Some solid set plays or even a continuity offense like the flex would really put the offensive talent to use

Johnny23

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »
It will be extremely hard for Lavin to ever have  a more talented roster than this one. If he cant win with these guys he will need Kentucky caliber talent and he wont be able to bring that St. John's

Really? out of coaching 7 years and his first couple recruiting classes is the  best he will do?

Talent wise where do you rank this team...in this league...and nationally?

Yes because he has been exposed as not a good x and o's coach nor game coach and top level talent with pro aspirations may stop coming here. I do realize some of our fans may see the Delarosa brothers as 2015 lottery picks.

I wouldn't go that far yet... If Boheim can recruit top level talent in the tundra of upstate NY year after year why can't Lavin do the same. It took Boheim to recruit Melo to win his one on only championship. Hope is not lost yet... Championship speaking Donovan has won 2 championships in a school that doesn't focus on BB.

St John's isn't the near the name brand that 'Cuse or Florida it is, let's be honest. Yes Syracuse is a trek into the middle of nowhere bumblef*** but Boeheim has built that team and school into a national brand over decades. Besides the 80's and from about '97 through 2002, SJU hasn't been a marquee national name(only talking recent history from 1980 on). Just think of all the top players in the Tri-State area and how many have Syracuse on a wish lit but SJU not so much. That branding takes years to build and it's the most powerful recruiting tool along with rings.

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 05:34:42 PM »
The biggest problem was that we never really embraced the style of play that suits our personnel - pressing and running.  With this staff and this roster, we will always be hit or miss when a team zones us up.  I have no idea why we don't use our depth and incredible athleticism to our advantage, but that should be our identity. 

Re: extension - Lavin can't effectively recruit without it. In order to succeed here, he must recruit at an elite level.  A rolling 4 year deal seems to be sensible instead of 6 years with a hard expiration. 

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
It will be extremely hard for Lavin to ever have  a more talented roster than this one. If he cant win with these guys he will need Kentucky caliber talent and he wont be able to bring that St. John's

Really? out of coaching 7 years and his first couple recruiting classes is the  best he will do?

Yes because he has been exposed as not a good x and o's coach nor game coach and top level talent with pro aspirations may stop coming here. I do realize some of our fans may see the Delarosa brothers as 2015 lottery picks.

I thought he was exposed at UCLA? Must be a miracle that he has landed so many good recruits here.
There were those that questioned but at St. John's Lavin has removed all doubt.

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2014, 05:39:08 PM »
The question I ask is how good of an xo guy is Whitesill? I don't think Lavin is that good. What is the opinion of this board.? Would we be better off replacing him ((Whitesill) w an expert like a Dunlap?

The play and results of this year's team tell you all you need to know about Whitesell. He is not a master in game tactician, hell noone even knows who he is. He was some no name D2 or D3 coach before he came here. He's easily replaceable. The real question is will Lavin and the SJU admin open the wallet to bring in a big name asst coach? Not sure Lavin's ego can deal with it and not sure this admin will spend any big $$ to bring in a proven top bench coach. 

Yes this team would be considerably better if they had a true bench coach who was great at making in game adjustments and had a true handle of offensive 5 man basketball. Lavin is clueless in these areas as well as all other aspects of coaching. Good recruiter who better get some 2014 guys as lots of the top guys are already off the board.

Actually he left a SUPERIOR program and coaching staff with  the St. Louis Bilikins to come here.

Actually he was an asst coach at SLU and was passed over for the HC job when Majerus died for a fellow asst coach so that tells you all you need to know. Further, in his only D1 head coaching stint at Loyola Chicago he was a .500 coach so try again. Whitesell is a no name scrub. They need a top bench coach who would cost money and challenge Lavin's ego. Let's see if the admin. and Lavin have the balls to do it.

Okay I will try again.  (I love it when posters make me look good)  I guess you were not aware that Whitesell was the ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH of the ST. LOUIS BILIKINS WHO FINISHED 28-7 and a final ranking in both polls of 16. When was the last time a Johnnie team finished with a final ranking of 16 in both polls.  So calling him a no name scrum shows how little you know of the college game, so to use your quote, try again, only this time get the facts straight.

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »
God, this board is annoying.  The same crap is said over and over and over and over... 

Agree, the same idiots are still buying into Lavin's crapola despite the obvious, very annoying at that.

Johnny23

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2014, 05:45:34 PM »
The question I ask is how good of an xo guy is Whitesill? I don't think Lavin is that good. What is the opinion of this board.? Would we be better off replacing him ((Whitesill) w an expert like a Dunlap?

The play and results of this year's team tell you all you need to know about Whitesell. He is not a master in game tactician, hell noone even knows who he is. He was some no name D2 or D3 coach before he came here. He's easily replaceable. The real question is will Lavin and the SJU admin open the wallet to bring in a big name asst coach? Not sure Lavin's ego can deal with it and not sure this admin will spend any big $$ to bring in a proven top bench coach. 

Yes this team would be considerably better if they had a true bench coach who was great at making in game adjustments and had a true handle of offensive 5 man basketball. Lavin is clueless in these areas as well as all other aspects of coaching. Good recruiter who better get some 2014 guys as lots of the top guys are already off the board.

Actually he left a SUPERIOR program and coaching staff with  the St. Louis Bilikins to come here.

Actually he was an asst coach at SLU and was passed over for the HC job when Majerus died for a fellow asst coach so that tells you all you need to know. Further, in his only D1 head coaching stint at Loyola Chicago he was a .500 coach so try again. Whitesell is a no name scrub. They need a top bench coach who would cost money and challenge Lavin's ego. Let's see if the admin. and Lavin have the balls to do it.

Okay I will try again.  (I love it when posters make me look good)  I guess you were not aware that Whitesell was the ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH of the ST. LOUIS BILIKINS WHO FINISHED 28-7 and a final ranking in both polls of 16. When was the last time a Johnnie team finished with a final ranking of 16 in both polls.  So calling him a no name scrum shows how little you know of the college game, so to use your quote, try again, only this time get the facts straight.

Was not the HC so it doesn't carry the same weight. And the point of this argument is that the coaching staff isn't getting it done now and Whitesell's part of that problem. They need a top bench coach. They're out there at some schools around the country but it's a question of whether SJU wants to invest in one and if Lavin would be ok with it.

TONYD3

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2014, 06:00:47 PM »
kind of weird. even when I agree with some of Linda's points he/she bothers me.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »

Was not the HC so it doesn't carry the same weight. And the point of this argument is that the coaching staff isn't getting it done now and Whitesell's part of that problem. They need a top bench coach. They're out there at some schools around the country but it's a question of whether SJU wants to invest in one and if Lavin would be ok with it.

Whitesell also sign on to the program late lets see what he can for a full season.

@linda most of the board is not drinking the Lavin Kool aid. Most people see this season as a let down...However the team still had more wins and has improved  overall (people can debate this and that is understandable). Having a season that failed expectations is not the end of the world either. Hating on a coach for years to come is not very fun either.  Comparing this BE to the old one is apple and oranges. For the most all the teams that left the old BE have really not done anything... Cuse is not looking that good.

I'm not going to convince you that Lavin is a good coach you have legitimate reasons to think otherwise..but calling people idiots for saying he can still do a good job is also wrong.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 06:11:16 PM »

I wouldn't say we are more talented than Nova or Creighton, but i wouldnt say they are more talented than we are either. We are WAY more talented than Xavier, Prov, Gtown etc. I'd say if the NCAA tournament field was selected before any games were played and only talent was taken into consideration we'd be a 7, 8 or 9 seed

Actually I would say we are more talented then Nova which just magnifies Lavin's Inept coaching.  so lets see now.

PG       Archie    vs    Rysheed
SG       Hart       vs         Dlo
SF/G   Hillard   vs     Sampson
PF        Pinkston   vs   Sanchez
C          Ochefu    vs     Obekpa

And I have not even mentioned the depth we clearly have an advantage with.

The other thing I find very interesting is when LAVIN LOVERS WANT TO GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR PUTTING HARKLESS IN THE LEAGUE BUT DONT WANT TO BLAME HIM FOR THE TEAMS RECORD THAT YEAR???  Thats absolutely unreal.

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »

Whitesell also sign on to the program late lets see what he can for a full season.

@linda most of the board is not drinking the Lavin Kool aid. Most people see this season as a let down...However the team still had more wins and has improved  overall (people can debate this and that is understandable). Having a season that failed expectations is not the end of the world either. Hating on a coach for years to come is not very fun either.  Comparing this BE to the old one is apple and oranges. For the most all the teams that left the old BE have really not done anything... Cuse is not looking that good.

I'm not going to convince you that Lavin is a good coach you have legitimate reasons to think otherwise..but calling people idiots for saying he can still do a good job is also wrong.

My concern is that we are stuck with this guy for years to come.  He has proven to be an individual that avoids accountability for any of his shortcomings, finds excuses for everything and is not a very good coach, or recruiter which eventually people will realize.  Usually when I call someone an idiot its cause I am countering some sort of attack but I will agree that stooping to such levels is just dumb.  I do however appreciate your civil response.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »

My concern is that we are stuck with this guy for years to come.  He has proven to be an individual that avoids accountability for any of his shortcomings, finds excuses for everything and is not a very good coach, or recruiter which eventually people will realize.  Usually when I call someone an idiot its cause I am countering some sort of attack but I will agree that stooping to such levels is just dumb.  I do however appreciate your civil response.

Agree with your points of concerns, he can keep giving excuses but there not going to fly...the local newspapers have actually criticize him. If he fails next year he will be crush I believed. Talking about extensions you have to give him one or fire him. Would you agree that firing him will be counter productive? He has to be be extended or else he is a lame duck coach. I think 3yrs with a 4th option would be more then enough personally, other then that I think the program is taking too much risk.

I do disagree that he is a fraud for the simple fact that he got Whitesell whom you defended as well. I think he knows is short comings and he is working to get that fixed. What this program needs is a few years the same coaching staff... The constant coming and going of the staff does impact the stability of the program.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2014, 07:23:10 PM »
If we are the most talented team in conference please explain why we had only one player make any of the all conference teams or honorable mention, and the other teams had multiple players make that level?  It is too easy to ignore facts when they are inconsistent with the argument you are advancing.

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »

If the NCAA tournament field was selected by SJU fans then we'd be a 2 or 3 seed. Fans for any team outside the BE and we'd be on the bubble.

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2014, 07:29:12 PM »

Actually I would say we are more talented then Nova which just magnifies Lavin's Inept coaching.  so lets see now.

PG       Archie    vs    Rysheed
SG       Hart       vs         Dlo
SF/G   Hillard   vs     Sampson
PF        Pinkston   vs   Sanchez
C          Ochefu    vs     Obekpa

And I have not even mentioned the depth we clearly have an advantage with.

The other thing I find very interesting is when LAVIN LOVERS WANT TO GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR PUTTING HARKLESS IN THE LEAGUE BUT DONT WANT TO BLAME HIM FOR THE TEAMS RECORD THAT YEAR???  Thats absolutely unreal.

I just asked my buddy who is a Nova fan. He laughed and said he wouldn't take anyone on our roster over who they have now.

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
If we are the most talented team in conference please explain why we had only one player make any of the all conference teams or honorable mention, and the other teams had multiple players make that level?  It is too easy to ignore facts when they are inconsistent with the argument you are advancing.
Vince Lombardi took over a Packer team that had won only one game the year before with virtually the same players, the next year they played for the championship and the next year they won it. All of a sudden those same players who everyone thought stunk were all pros and then HOFers. Yeah you are right, coaching makes no difference.

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »
Vince Lombardi took over a Packer team that had won only one game the year before with virtually the same players, the next year they played for the championship and the next year they won it. All of a sudden those same players who everyone thought stunk were all pros and then HOFers. Yeah you are right, coaching makes no difference.

Kind of like when Lavin took over Norm's players.

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2014, 09:28:50 PM »

Kind of like when Lavin took over Norm's players.
Right, and let's remember we had the most pre season all conf players along with newcomer of the year in Sheed. Think it was Dlo, Karr and CO with the honors. Way to utilize your talent coach.

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2014, 09:38:08 PM »
I would like him to recruit need and not just the best available athlete. And I don't mean my team can't shoot so I am going to bring in a white guy I am not going to play. Recruit kids that can knockdown shots and have a chance of playing. What was the point of recruiting Dom and Amir two great athletes that can't make shots. We don't run, so we don't need 12 guys flying around. Both times Lavin has had success with us he played 8 guys and we are usually playing half court offense, yet we don't have any low post scorers and only one guy that can make a three.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:40:23 PM by we are sju »