Obekpa

• 479 replies

Foad

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #340 on: April 14, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »
at this point, not allowing him to come back would be a PR disaster for St. John's/Lavin. With Greene actively imploring fans to "show Obekpa love" on twitter and with fans obliging, it almost seems like the team hasn't left Lavin any choice.   Even the St. John's twitter guy openly said a transfer could change his mind.

I think this is all a formality.

Is it less a PR disaster than having our coach who professes that there are some things more important than winning begging some kid who in the know posters have christened "a cancer" and who allegedly refused to enter a crucial game because his feelings were hurt to come back for another season? That's more or less a rhetorical question, I love the idea of pompous gasbag Steve Lavin choking on it. Who will be the first to use the magic word redemption? Or is it be that Lavin's hoping Obekpa returns just so he can suspend him? Tune in tomorrow to find out the answers to these and other beguiling questions on As The Prostate Turns.

« Reply #341 on: April 14, 2014, 11:22:54 AM »
at this point, not allowing him to come back would be a PR disaster for St. John's/Lavin. With Greene actively imploring fans to "show Obekpa love" on twitter and with fans obliging, it almost seems like the team hasn't left Lavin any choice.   Even the St. John's twitter guy openly said a transfer could change his mind.

Is it less a PR disaster than having our coach who professes that there are some things more important than winning begging some kid who in the know posters have christened "a cancer" and who allegedly refused to enter a crucial game because his feelings were hurt to come back for another season? That's more or less a rhetorical question, I love the idea of pompous gasbag Steve Lavin choking on it. Who will be the first to use the magic word redemption?.

Announcement of Resurrection of Obekpa will be made on Easter to coincide with the resurrection of Christ

« Reply #342 on: April 14, 2014, 11:33:12 AM »

Is it less a PR disaster than having our coach who professes that there are some things more important than winning begging some kid who in the know posters have christened "a cancer" and who allegedly refused to enter a crucial game because his feelings were hurt to come back for another season? That's more or less a rhetorical question, I love the idea of pompous gasbag Steve Lavin choking on it. Who will be the first to use the magic word redemption? Or is it be that Lavin's hoping Obekpa returns just so he can suspend him? Tune in tomorrow to find out the answers to these and other beguiling questions on As The Prostate Turns.

I predict next season's drama is Keady taking on the Dennis Hopper role from Hoosiers.

« Reply #343 on: April 14, 2014, 12:10:39 PM »
Looks like our roster may actually improve going into next season.

It will if we can bring back Obekpa and sign a winning lottery ticket juco, or transfer. Even still, I can't accept that we're better w out Sampson. He was a huge part of the little success we did have last year. The loss of his scoring isn't replaced by anyone that's left at this point in the season, unless we strike it rich, and when does that happen here?

Sampson is not a winning player. His loss doesnt bother me. Score 12, give up 15.
Sadly I agree with this statement 100%

« Reply #344 on: April 14, 2014, 03:22:40 PM »
Sampson was a soph. And for a soph he was damn good. Led our team in rebounding. The expectation is that by his junior year, he'd really have it together. He won't have anything together because he's so raw, and such a slow learner, but we are not just replacing him, we are replacing the player he was going to become.

Good point poison.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2014, 06:44:53 PM »
 I liked Sampson... I hate when we crush someone because they left.  Sampson was a good kid and player.  I think he made a terrible decision, but I don't think we are automatically better off without him.

There were plenty of games and halves of games where he carried the offense, particularly in the early going when Harrison struggled with his shot.

« Reply #346 on: April 14, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
I liked Sampson... I hate when we crush someone because they left.  Sampson was a good kid and player.  I think he made a terrible decision, but I don't think we are automatically better off without him.

There were plenty of games and halves of games where he carried the offense, particularly in the early going when Harrison struggled with his shot.
Agree...had areas where he needed to improve, a propensity to shoot every time he touched the all and a frustrating tendency to jog back on defense but he seemed to be a great kid with enormous potential...really liked him

« Reply #347 on: April 14, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »

I already cashed in my one redemption quote on Masiello  ;D

I do like "As the Prostate Turns" title - well done oh Fun one.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:28:30 PM by bball purist »

ras

« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
I'm not saying I don't like Sampson. Would rather replace Sampson, then both Sampson and CO.

boo3

« Reply #349 on: April 14, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »
I'm not saying I don't like Sampson. Would rather replace Sampson, then both Sampson and CO.

Fair enough.. Briefly spoke with Jon Givony who runs the draftexpress.com website. He wasn't surprised in the least about Sampson's decision.. It was all about Sampson being a year older already and getting himself into the professional system, whether its NBA, D League, Europe, or elsewhere.. 

Only have so many potential years of earning money on the court and if you aren't committed to sitting in class and the library for 20 hours a week while training, then it isn't a terrible decision to start " your clock".

I thought it made a lot of sense in those terms..  Wish the kid the best.. I hope to see him in the NBA one day.

Marillac

« Reply #350 on: April 14, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
JR Obekpa and Thomas > SO Obekpa, Sampson, Sanchez, GG

JR Obekpa, Horford, Thomas, ADR, C Jones, JDR = exponentially better than what we had last year. 

« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2014, 08:31:15 PM »
JR Obekpa and Thomas > SO Obekpa, Sampson, Sanchez, GG

JR Obekpa, Horford, Thomas, ADR, C Jones, JDR = exponentially better than what we had last year. 

+1

Marillac

« Reply #352 on: April 14, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »

It will if we can bring back Obekpa and sign a winning lottery ticket juco, or transfer. Even still, I can't accept that we're better w out Sampson. He was a huge part of the little success we did have last year. The loss of his scoring isn't replaced by anyone that's left at this point in the season, unless we strike it rich, and when does that happen here?

I was high on Sampson until the end of the season.  I just couldn't keep making excuses for him.  He missed every front end I saw him take in the second half.  Sometimes it seemed like he (and Dom) were trying to make mistakes.  Who on this board felt comfortable when he had the ball in his hands?  I closed my eyes every time him, Dom, and Sanchez were handling the ball.  They were always out of control.  At least Sanchez could pull a doozie  out every third or fourth chance. 

Sampson got moved around in the post like he was wearing ice skates.  He didn't put in the work in the weight room and he was a 21 year old junior three years removed from high school.  He played in the best conference in the country for his senior year and 5th year.  At a certain point you just have think a kid won't improve.  He's an explosive athlete and rebounder.  He has a decent midrange, but he has no clue how to win, doesn't have a clutch bone in his body, and his handle actually has gotten worse since his SVSM days.  To top it off, he sees himself as a first round pick.  Sadly, his name won't be called during the draft.  It it went three rounds, his name still wouldn't be called.

Nobody we bring in will be a better player than Sampson.  Nobody will be a better talent.  But this team doesn't need another talent that Lavin can't develop.  This team needs a kid that will accept the role of a PF and not try to be something he is not.  If our next PF doesn't try to shoot jumper after jumper with nobody there to rebound, doesn't try to beat three guys off the dribble several times a game, doesn't live on the perimeter,  and actually sets solid screens and hits the glass it will be a net positive.  Live and die with the guards...no more letting forwards get in the way.

I've never been so happy to see such a good player and good kid go.  I don't think I'll ever want to recruit another kid like Sampson again...that's how bad it is.

ras

« Reply #353 on: April 14, 2014, 09:00:52 PM »
That's why I like Thomas. I want to see a 4 play like a 4. We need a strong post presence. Hopefully he will pop for us.  I' don't think we are going to get  Horford, but if we do we can make some noise next year.

« Reply #354 on: April 14, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »

I was high on Sampson until the end of the season.  I just couldn't keep making excuses for him.  He missed every front end I saw him take in the second half.  Sometimes it seemed like he (and Dom) were trying to make mistakes.  Who on this board felt comfortable when he had the ball in his hands?  I closed my eyes every time him, Dom, and Sanchez were handling the ball.  They were always out of control.  At least Sanchez could pull a doozie  out every third or fourth chance. 

Sampson got moved around in the post like he was wearing ice skates.  He didn't put in the work in the weight room and he was a 21 year old junior three years removed from high school.  He played in the best conference in the country for his senior year and 5th year.  At a certain point you just have think a kid won't improve.  He's an explosive athlete and rebounder.  He has a decent midrange, but he has no clue how to win, doesn't have a clutch bone in his body, and his handle actually has gotten worse since his SVSM days.  To top it off, he sees himself as a first round pick.  Sadly, his name won't be called during the draft.  It it went three rounds, his name still wouldn't be called.

Nobody we bring in will be a better player than Sampson.  Nobody will be a better talent.  But this team doesn't need another talent that Lavin can't develop.  This team needs a kid that will accept the role of a PF and not try to be something he is not.  If our next PF doesn't try to shoot jumper after jumper with nobody there to rebound, doesn't try to beat three guys off the dribble several times a game, doesn't live on the perimeter,  and actually sets solid screens and hits the glass it will be a net positive.  Live and die with the guards...no more letting forwards get in the way.

I've never been so happy to see such a good player and good kid go.  I don't think I'll ever want to recruit another kid like Sampson again...that's how bad it is.

GREAT post, agree on all points.

Marillac

« Reply #355 on: April 14, 2014, 09:07:41 PM »
That's why I like Thomas. I want to see a 4 play like a 4. We need a strong post presence. Hopefully he will pop for us.  I' don't think we are going to get  Horford, but if we do we can make some noise next year.

Lavin's biggest weakness seems to be that he gives guys too much leash.  Sampson should never have been able to handle the ball...but he did it time after time after time.  Pointer as well. Sanchez too.  Those guys were allowed to do whatever they wanted.  Dom put up 20 treys this year!  Those guys killed us in the second half of games with turnovers and missed FTs (not Sanchez for that one) and were even worse on defense. It was so frustrating to see our forwards deciding games when we had such talented guards. 

« Reply #356 on: April 14, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
Personally, I think Dom is going to step up this year with the larger role.  He made such a big jump from his frosh to soph years likely to working his butt off in the off season.  He didn't make another jump like I hoped he would this year, if anything he regressed.  Hopefully he sees that opportunity again this year and is doing the same.   He could be a real X factor for us this season (as long as he's playing the 3 and not ridiculously undersized at 4). 

paultzman

« Reply #357 on: April 14, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »
Personally, I think Dom is going to step up this year with the larger role.  He made such a big jump from his frosh to soph years likely to working his butt off in the off season.  He didn't make another jump like I hoped he would this year, if anything he regressed.  Hopefully he sees that opportunity again this year and is doing the same.   He could be a real X factor for us this season (as long as he's playing the 3 and not ridiculously undersized at 4). 

Not to mention his outstanding offensive rebounding.  :angel:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:32:36 PM by paultzman »

RedVet

« Reply #358 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
... Tune in tomorrow to find out the answers to these and other beguiling questions on As The Prostate Turns.

Guess you think that prostate cancer cracks are funny. Sadly, many of us don't.

Tha Kid

« Reply #359 on: April 14, 2014, 09:57:40 PM »

+1.  Great post.
"I drink and I know things"