• 1170 replies

boo3

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #1000 on: March 21, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »
Hybrid

Marillac

« Reply #1001 on: March 21, 2015, 05:18:33 PM »
Also, Bobby Hurley has inked quite a class for 2015 at Buffalo including a 6'5 JUCO SF from Midland with three years of eligibility that could start here and former top 100 recruit, Torian Graham.  He has a fabulous freshman that can play in the Big East and his leading scorer at Buffalo could play here as well. 

Those kids signed to play for Bobby Hurley and I'm sure they'd follow him anywhere. 

Sign him now, and let him go to work on transfers and Jucos, Rysheed and CO,  and bring over a few of his guys from Buffalo and 2015-2016 might not be so bad after all. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 05:19:06 PM by Marillac »

hnk

« Reply #1002 on: March 21, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
R they verbals or signed LOI's?

hnk

« Reply #1003 on: March 21, 2015, 05:36:04 PM »
From  Zags article it seems pretty clear Lavin thnks he's back...guess we will all find out this week.

« Reply #1004 on: March 21, 2015, 06:11:22 PM »
I want to get a guy in here that will be here for 20 years and grow a program--not just coach a team.

There are some attractive candidates like Miller, Marshall, and Smart.  Those are home runs.  There is a possible big-timer in Donovan as well. 

Bobby Hurley is the guy I keep coming back to. 
-Local guy
-Connections throughout most fertile recruiting grounds in country
-A pedigree that can't be matched by anyone
-A tough, smart former player and coach kids will line up to pay for
-Outstanding success at every level as a player and coach
-Winner, hard worker, good x's and o's are how he is universally described
-Coached college in NYC and coached in a big conference at Rhode Island
-Recruited NYC, NJ, and the entire state of NY in five years as a coach
-Proven ability to recruit transfers and JUCOs
-Has rebuilt three programs very quickly

Did you swallow the whole bottle of your prescribed meds?  :) You've come back to us and are now making sense and speaking in reality and with such clarity. Would add Danny H to the list as well as taking a shot albeit a long one at Billy D, can't hurt to inquire abd can be done immediately.

Marillac

« Reply #1005 on: March 21, 2015, 06:47:40 PM »
I want to get a guy in here that will be here for 20 years and grow a program--not just coach a team.

There are some attractive candidates like Miller, Marshall, and Smart.  Those are home runs.  There is a possible big-timer in Donovan as well. 

Bobby Hurley is the guy I keep coming back to. 
-Local guy
-Connections throughout most fertile recruiting grounds in country
-A pedigree that can't be matched by anyone
-A tough, smart former player and coach kids will line up to pay for
-Outstanding success at every level as a player and coach
-Winner, hard worker, good x's and o's are how he is universally described
-Coached college in NYC and coached in a big conference at Rhode Island
-Recruited NYC, NJ, and the entire state of NY in five years as a coach
-Proven ability to recruit transfers and JUCOs
-Has rebuilt three programs very quickly

Did you swallow the whole bottle of your prescribed meds?  :) You've come back to us and are now making sense and speaking in reality and with such clarity. Would add Danny H to the list as well as taking a shot albeit a long one at Billy D, can't hurt to inquire abd can be done immediately.

I think the appropriate time to discuss a coaching change is after the season when you have a competitive team.  Had we won this game, I could have continued to stay behind Lavin, but SDSU was not a good team and we didn't really have a chance.  Buffalo would have beaten them.

Danny doesn't have the same appeal to me with Bobby gone.  I think he'll be successful, but Bobby has so much credibility as a former player that kids will line up to play for him and actually listen to him once they arrive.

He has proven that he is very creative with getting quality players.  His two young PGs could start for us.  His PF, the MAC player of the year, that he signed days after being hired last year, could star for us. 

I have no doubt that if we hired him now, he'd fill out this roster with a team that could dance next season. 

Marillac

« Reply #1006 on: March 21, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »
I should add, that Bobby has been actively recruiting the top JUCO programs in the country:  Indian Hills (Dwight Hardy), Midland, Barton, and Chipola and the whole Florida circuit.  He's seen and recruited better kids than the great class he's added and he's formed relationships with the coaches.  He has also played the D-1 transfer game well.

I'd think both of his fantastic young guards would follow him and sit out a year.  I thought I heard that the MAC player of the year PF would be graduating, but could be wrong on that.  I know he started at Toledo but didn't play due to his heart condition, spent a year at JUCO, and just finished his second year at Buffalo. I could see him following Hurley as well even if he wasn't immediately eligible via graduate transfer.

Trim some of the fat like Christian Jones, try to retain CO and Rysheed, keep Doughty and Sampson committed, add a couple of Jucos and/or graduate transfers, and fill out the roster with the best 2-3 guys from Buffalo.

« Reply #1007 on: March 21, 2015, 07:06:28 PM »
Good plan but taking a coach is one thing you usually don't see devastating the other program of players too. Maybe one or two. For those who want to retain Lavin-remember last year when he said it would take until Feb or March to jell? That was with a veteran team and a 5 game summer season. What do you think would happen next year with a whole new team? Lavin would experiment for 30 games, juggling the lineup and say we will jell by May or June. No thank you.

Marillac

« Reply #1008 on: March 21, 2015, 07:11:15 PM »
Good plan but taking a coach is one thing you usually don't see devastating the other program of players too. Maybe one or two. For those who want to retain Lavin-remember last year when he said it would take until Feb or March to jell? That was with a veteran team and a 5 game summer season. What do you think would happen next year with a whole new team? Lavin would experiment for 30 games, juggling the lineup and say we will jell by May or June. No thank you.

True.  I remember Chudney following Fran to SJU from Manhattan. I think Bobby would want to leave Buffalo intact--and I think that is typically the right thing to do--but the fact of the matter is those kids--especially the two guards--went to Buffalo to play for Bobby Hurley and surely wouldn't have considered it without him. One of those kid was the #39 ranked PG in the country. It would be wrong in that situation to deny them the opportunity to finish their careers with him.

Mahalich brought two transfers with him from Niagara to Hofstra.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:18:53 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #1009 on: March 21, 2015, 07:20:53 PM »
I'm close with all the Hurley's and I like Bobby a lot but he hasn't proven a thing yet. There is a big difference in recruiting in Mid-American vs Big East. I'm not saying he can't be successful but it's a risk.

If the school wants Danny they'd need to make a significant offer than URI wouldn't be able to compete with otherwise he'd stay put and bet on himself to do well next season with a very talented A-10 team. If Seton Hall flops next year, Willard won't be able to survive despite his boy being the AD and they'll probably go after Danny hard.

Archie Miller is in same situation as Danny. His sights are well beyond St. John's.

Repole is gonna push Massiello and money talks. This scares me.

I still think staying put is the best option.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #1010 on: March 21, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »
Dave,  I pretty much agree 100%.

Mas  could be a disaster.  Hurley and Miller aren't coming.   

« Reply #1011 on: March 21, 2015, 07:54:04 PM »
Boo I've heard the same on Archie but not with Danny. You guys think Danny would not view SJU as a long term job?

Dave - Any idea on why Repole prefers Mass?

« Reply #1012 on: March 21, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
Bobby Hurley hasn't proven a thing? He's got a great 2 year record and a NCAA appearance. Also they were close to winning a game.

« Reply #1013 on: March 21, 2015, 08:09:46 PM »
This is nothing personal in regards to Dave because I think he always has great insight, but I always hate the "hasn't proven anything" argument when it comes to discrediting up-and-coming coaches for us.

For all of the head coaches in the Big East right now, how many were 'proven' already at a high major level?

Before their current jobs:

Jay Wright: Head Coach at Hofstra
JT3: Head Coach at Princeton
Ed Cooley: Head Coach at Fairfield
Greg McDermott: Head Coach at Iowa State (Never reached postseason in 4 years)
Steve Wojciechowski: No previous Head Coaching experience
Chris Mack: No previous Head Coaching experience
Chris Holtmann: Head Coach at Gardner-Webb
Kevin Willard: Head Coach at Iona 

And yet I'd say most of these teams are fairly happy with their head coaches.

Edit: Originally forgot about Willard.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 08:12:12 PM by 0404 »

« Reply #1014 on: March 21, 2015, 08:27:53 PM »
I'm close with all the Hurley's and I like Bobby a lot but he hasn't proven a thing yet. There is a big difference in recruiting in Mid-American vs Big East. I'm not saying he can't be successful but it's a risk.

If the school wants Danny they'd need to make a significant offer than URI wouldn't be able to compete with otherwise he'd stay put and bet on himself to do well next season with a very talented A-10 team. If Seton Hall flops next year, Willard won't be able to survive despite his boy being the AD and they'll probably go after Danny hard.

Archie Miller is in same situation as Danny. His sights are well beyond St. John's.

why do u think repole will push masiello?

« Reply #1015 on: March 21, 2015, 08:40:52 PM »

why do u think repole will push masiello?

More importantly, he's not pushing for the current regime

« Reply #1016 on: March 21, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
Hope Dave is wrong but if he is not and our highest aspiration is Masiello than we are truly doomed to be mired in the morass we have been in since Lou retired,  in which case I will need to divorce myself from the morass and go after more ass.  :)

« Reply #1017 on: March 21, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »
Hope Dave is wrong but if he is not and our highest aspiration is Masiello than we are truly doomed to be mired in the morass we have been in since Lou retired,  in which case I will need to divorce myself from the morass and go after more ass.  :)
:2funny:

Poison

« Reply #1018 on: March 21, 2015, 09:27:27 PM »
This is nothing personal in regards to Dave because I think he always has great insight, but I always hate the "hasn't proven anything" argument when it comes to discrediting up-and-coming coaches for us.

For all of the head coaches in the Big East right now, how many were 'proven' already at a high major level?

Before their current jobs:

Jay Wright: Head Coach at Hofstra
JT3: Head Coach at Princeton
Ed Cooley: Head Coach at Fairfield
Greg McDermott: Head Coach at Iowa State (Never reached postseason in 4 years)
Steve Wojciechowski: No previous Head Coaching experience
Chris Mack: No previous Head Coaching experience
Chris Holtmann: Head Coach at Gardner-Webb
Kevin Willard: Head Coach at Iona 

And yet I'd say most of these teams are fairly happy with their head coaches.

Edit: Originally forgot about Willard.

That's a thorough post. No guarantees in life, and certainly not in college basketball. Some young "unproven" coaches will turn out to be stars, and others won't. The ratio of success to failure is heavily waded towards failure. There are 32 teams playing after the opening round. 300 coaches are packing up their shit.

I like Massiello. I'm not saying he's my first choice, but I like some of the things he does as a coach. I like some of the things Lavin has done as well, but they are by and large not taking place on the court. Massiello, from what I can see, has more in common with Lou than you might think if you think of Lou as someone who is always this nice sweet old man. He is a nice a sweet old man, but when he was is coaching, he was nuts, too.

Poison

« Reply #1019 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:37 PM »

How does Massiello equal doomed? What's wrong with him? I think he's a damn good coach.