Phil Greene draft prospects

• 34 replies

Tha Kid

Phil Greene draft prospects
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:02:05 AM »
Reads like Lavin hype machine without any real specifics but if not very excited for Phil that's he's getting some real looks

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/05/johns-greene-gunning.html
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

Re: Phil Greene draft prospects
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:28:38 AM »
Reads like Lavin hype machine without any real specifics but if not very excited for Phil that's he's getting some real looks

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/05/johns-greene-gunning.html

I didn't know the WNBA had a draft.

sju89tr

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:53:24 AM »
Unfortunately he's not getting drafted

Only guy who has a chance is Dom 

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 11:45:23 AM »
Does it matter who gets draft ten teams per year tank in the NBA now and are playing with so call D-League level players.  This is not our beloved NBA anymore 30% of the teams are tanking and taking more chances on cheap roster fills. 

Even top NBA PGs like Rubio shoot 35% FG and 25% 3FG. Kemba 38% FG.  These guys can't hit the side of the barn without  hand checking and physical play of the early nba days. Now I doubt Phil and Harrison will get draft but they can at least shoot 30% for a ten day contract or if luck has it end up like Langston Galloway the man who started half the season for the Knicks and  shot 39%.  And was reward with 2nd all rookie NBA team in what was supposed to be a deep NBA Draft ! Is Phil green  and Harrison that much worst than Galloway where he is a starter and they can't be a 15 man?   Even J.   Sampson got votes for Roy.  Did anyone see the backcourt of Lakers tearing up the league at the end of the season those Auburn boys J. Brown and  Jordan   Clarkson. Again if they are starters Harrison and Phil can be a 15th man the talent gap is not that far apart as the Jungle may think
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:48:50 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

TONYD3

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:24:22 PM »
I am not calling Phil a girl, but he is not close to an NBA player. I hope D'lo doesn't even try. Plenty more money in Europe then D-league.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »
Does it matter who gets draft ten teams per year tank in the NBA now and are playing with so call D-League level players.  This is not our beloved NBA anymore 30% of the teams are tanking and taking more chances on cheap roster fills. 

Even top NBA PGs like Rubio shoot 35% FG and 25% 3FG. Kemba 38% FG.  These guys can't hit the side of the barn without  hand checking and physical play of the early nba days. Now I doubt Phil and Harrison will get draft but they can at least shoot 30% for a ten day contract or if luck has it end up like Langston Galloway the man who started half the season for the Knicks and  shot 39%.  And was reward with 2nd all rookie NBA team in what was supposed to be a deep NBA Draft ! Is Phil green  and Harrison that much worst than Galloway where he is a starter and they can't be a 15 man?   Even J.   Sampson got votes for Roy.  Did anyone see the backcourt of Lakers tearing up the league at the end of the season those Auburn boys J. Brown and  Jordan   Clarkson. Again if they are starters Harrison and Phil can be a 15th man the talent gap is not that far apart as the Jungle may think

Only problem is Phil isn't a point guard at all.

redslope

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
While I do not see his name being called at the draft, I do think his 3PT %age will attract some team to add him to their summer roster.  He is a good kid who sublimated any ego to his teammates and caused no problems.  He is quick and has nice hops and gives 100% all the time.  The summer league will give him a good audience for overseas teams to assess.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 02:27:39 PM »

Most current NBA PG are not classic  PG they can't run any offense they run pick and roll 75% of the time.  And rarely create offense for any of their teammates
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

SJUFAN

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »

Most current NBA PG are not classic  PG they can't run any offense they run pick and roll 75% of the time.  And rarely create offense for any of their teammates

Greene can't run pick and roll so there goes his draft prospects.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 02:53:24 PM »
Dom is the only legit guy to MAYBE get a sniff at the NBA, unfortunately the other guys have games better suited to excel in Euro ball

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »
I think Dom and Harrison  should both be drafted in the 2nd round. Mullin seems to have a good relationship with both players if you go his photo ops on social media,  he should now help them get invitation to 30 teams. Harrison will kill in drills and one on one workouts while Dom should excite in team 5 on 5 drills and combine style testing. Green is very long shot I think he would even struggle in Europe might have to go to Asia. But the NBA is at it's lowest level of talent I have ever seen.  D-League and Europe is not a major jump down like it used to be.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:46:51 PM by KAHNIGHT »

cjfish

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »
Why????....

Poison

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »
Cedric Jackson made the NBA, and as a freshman and Soph at SJU he wasn't good enough to play in the BE. He was probably the worst starting shooting guard on scholarship to ever to wear the uniform.

Greene improved greatly last year. In fairness to him, he was asked to run the offense for almost 3 years, and that wasn't his game. If you can shoot the ball, they'll give you a look. I would love to see him improve enough to make the league. I certainly don't expect it, but whether he gets drafted won't determine whether or not he gets picked up.

Everyone on this board talks about thanking the seniors, but this kid was the only 4 year guy from for 11-12 class who played for 4 years, never complained, never got suspended for anything, and improved every season. If anyone deserves a thank you, it's this kid.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:57:47 PM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »
Cedric Jackson played 12 games in 3 seasons for 3 different teams.. Yes, he made the NBA, but it's not like he's the "against all odds, make it to the mountain top success story".    Good for him.. Cedric did one thing exceptionally well..  he played defense like a madman...I reckon, that's why someone took a chance on him. 

No one thought Sampson had a shot.. He proved everyone wrong and that it is not an exact science. 

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:29:30 PM by boo3 »

Poison

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 06:14:28 PM »
Cedric Jackson played 12 games in 3 seasons for 3 different teams.. Yes, he made the NBA, but it's not like he's the "against all odds, make it to the mountain top success story".    Good for him.. Cedric did one thing exceptionally well..  he played defense like a madman...I reckon, that's why someone took a chance on him. 

No one thought Sampson had a shot.. He proved everyone wrong and that it is not an exact science. 

Oh, really?

Walk with me for a moment back in time to the year 2004. Norm Roberts is coming off his first victory as the new STJ head coach, and he's about to face St.Francis on Lou Carnesecca court dedication night. It's a cold Tuesday night in November, and it's about to get a lot colder.

Several hours later, 5000 mystified people slowly make their way out of the newly dedicated Carnesecca Arena. Cedric Jackson, after clanking wide open layup after layup gave everyone a clear picture of what was to come that season.

If you were told on that night that Cedric Jackson would one day play in the league what would you have said? I think "against all odds" is actually spot on. I don't care if he played 3 minutes and didn't touch the ball once. He made the league. THAT is the definition of unbelievable because none of us would have believed it.

Wods317

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 06:27:14 PM »
Love Phil but zero shot at the NBA. His best asset is shot which is good not great. He's too inconsistent with it. Some games he was on fire from 3 and others he was invisible. Good college player and probably could have been an honorable mention Big East but no shot at the NBA. Phil will make a career playing basketball somewhere though.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »
Cedric Jackson, after clanking wide open layup after layup gave everyone a clear picture of what was to come that season.

He was 2 for 4 from the floor. That's two only clanks. Finished with 9 points and 5 rebounds.

Those clanks you heard were from these guys:

Epperson: 2 for 8
Hill: 4 for 13
Lawrence: 1 for 6

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 07:43:33 PM »
Everyone on this board talks about thanking the seniors, but this kid was the only 4 year guy from for 11-12 class who played for 4 years, never complained, never got suspended for anything, and improved every season. If anyone deserves a thank you, it's this kid.

A selfless, team first warrior that played through major production sapping injuries and played out of position yet never complained.  Was shamefully and unfairly lambasted by the boards low brow set.  Some of us should take a long hard look in the mirror concerning what we post about teenage, unpaid student athletes. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:44:10 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Poison

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »
Cedric Jackson, after clanking wide open layup after layup gave everyone a clear picture of what was to come that season.

He was 2 for 4 from the floor. That's two only clanks. Finished with 9 points and 5 rebounds.

Those clanks you heard were from these guys:

Epperson: 2 for 8
Hill: 4 for 13
Lawrence: 1 for 6

There was one clank by Jackson that is frozen in my head. He finger rolled it off of the bottom of the rim. It would have given us the lead.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »
Love Phil but zero shot at the NBA. His best asset is shot which is good not great. He's too inconsistent with it. Some games he was on fire from 3 and others he was invisible. Good college player and probably could have been an honorable mention Big East but no shot at the NBA. Phil will make a career playing basketball somewhere though.

I'm not so sure about zero shot. Not a great or even good shot, but some team might find room for a guy that can shoot the 3. Let's see what he's learned since March before writing him off. Remember, he didn't have such a wonderful teacher.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:32:02 PM by Poison »