LJ Figueroa - SG - Odessa JUCO Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 107 replies

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Re: LJ Figueroa, SG, Orlando, FL
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »
6’5” JC First team AA who shoots almost 50% from 3, averages 21 ppg !Yes please!  Would be that shooting wing we really need...
Was slated
Yes, just saw those stats. Sign me up for him and Burke. Interesting for a former 4 star recruit and juco aa I don’t see anything about his recruitment. Matt and him following each other is a good sign though.
Was scheduled to go to Western Kentucky, but that fell through. I am not sure why.  I would be surprised if SJU does not land him.

A lot of the better programs you would think would be on a kid with these kind of numbers, and a 4 star pedigree out of HS. Seems a little too good to be true. Are there academic issues? Why did he go JUCO out of HS?

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
6’5” JC First team AA who shoots almost 50% from 3, averages 21 ppg !Yes please!  Would be that shooting wing we really need...
Was slated
Yes, just saw those stats. Sign me up for him and Burke. Interesting for a former 4 star recruit and juco aa I don’t see anything about his recruitment. Matt and him following each other is a good sign though.
Was scheduled to go to Western Kentucky, but that fell through. I am not sure why.  I would be surprised if SJU does not land him.

A lot of the better programs you would think would be on a kid with these kind of numbers, and a 4 star pedigree out of HS. Seems a little too good to be true. Are there academic issues? Why did he go JUCO out of HS?

He had offers from Florida, Louisville, Miami, Virginia Tech, New Mexico State, LSU and Texas Tech . He committed to New Mexico but the coach quit and took another Job offer so he went the JUCO route.

Wods317

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 04:36:43 PM »
Was slated

He had offers from Florida, Louisville, Miami, Virginia Tech, New Mexico State, LSU and Texas Tech . He committed to New Mexico but the coach quit and took another Job offer so he went the JUCO route.

Would be a very underrated get it seems, good upside.

Foad

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 05:30:10 PM »
Why did he go JUCO out of HS?

He was following in Walter Berry's foot steps. Sorry, you've probably never heard of Walter Berry. He was a basketball player. Ironically his nickname was the Truth.

Poor Chicken Little. Too bad you don't have any imaginary friends who went to New Mexico, they  could have filled you in.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:33:05 PM by Foad »

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2018, 05:37:07 PM »
I think SJU gets him and he becomes a key player next year.  Immediate contributor.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
Why did he go JUCO out of HS?

He was following in Walter Berry's foot steps. Sorry, you've probably never heard of Walter Berry. He was a basketball player. Ironically his nickname was the Truth.

Poor Chicken Little. Too bad you don't have any imaginary friends who went to New Mexico, they  could have filled you in.

I wasn't criticizing him for going to a JUCO, dummy. I just wanted to know why he did, and why other top programs aren't in on him after he had such a good year.  Understand dumb-dumb? If you want I can try to explain it to you further since we all know you're not very bright.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2018, 06:44:18 PM »
Earning 1st team all-American JUCO is incredibly difficult. I'd be very happy with him at SF.

QuanMan

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »
Earning 1st team all-American JUCO is incredibly difficult. I'd be very happy with him at SF.

Especially as a freshman. This kid is a walking bucket, he can score in a multitude of ways, has good size, footwork. For what he'd mean to our overall depth chart and need for another scorer it's time to get excited again around here bc he would put our backcourt over the top. 
Section 3
Section 116

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
Hoping we get this done.  Kid can shoot and is nice wing scorer.  Hard to deal with scorers like Ponds, Dixon, Figueroa coupled with Simon, Clark, G-will etc.  winning now is important for us.  Still would need another big though imho.

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 07:11:27 PM »
Hoping we get this done.  Kid can shoot and is nice wing scorer.  Hard to deal with scorers like Ponds, Dixon, Figueroa coupled with Simon, Clark, G-will etc.  winning now is important for us.  Still would need another big though imho.
Agree on big, but does not appear that will happen

ras

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2018, 07:31:04 PM »
I would like a big. But think this will work. DLO sr year we only had 1 big and no depth and made the dance. Simon could spend some time at the 4. He would provide much needed quality depth.

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2018, 08:22:22 PM »
Could be our Desi Rodriquez. We need good players and appears to be one as does Burke. May have to play small for a year and then hopefully Cockburn or the like.

Foad

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
I wasn't criticizing him for going to a JUCO, dummy. I just wanted to know why he did, and why other top programs aren't in on him after he had such a good year.

Actually stupid that's not what happened at all. What happened was that SJ was mentioned as a suitor for this player, who admittedly I'd never heard of him before today and likely you haven't either. But being a die hard SJ fan you felt the need to disparage him for considering attending the school for which you allegedly root, so you said

"you would think would be on a kid with these kind of numbers, and a 4 star pedigree out of HS."

And not surprisingly you were wrong: any number of well regarded programs were after this kid after HS.

Then you said: "are there academic issues?"

Which no there aren't, although I admire your willingness to slander the likely academic achievements of a poor minority teenager with a suspiciously foreign sounding name in your eagerness to denigrate the program you which you allegedly root. In for a penny in for a pound.

And then, to complete the trifecta of stupid you said: Why did he go JUCO out of HS?

Which once again and completely unsurprisingly displayed your complete and utter ignorance of all things related to college basketball: he went JUCO only after the Division 1 coach he committed to at NM went elsewhere. Which is a route any number of excellent college players have taken, including one of the greatest players at the program you allegedly root for, the one whose nickname you've adopted as your screen name: The Truth. See how stupid you are stupid? Perhaps you don't, you seem to be one of those exquisite stupids who mistakes his own stupidity for cleverness.

we all know you're not very bright.

Who's we stupid? You and all your imaginary friends who managed to get accepted to St John's?  Good god you're dumb. How do you turn on your computer without breaking a bone? Never mind answering, that's rhetorical.

Moose

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2018, 09:11:09 PM »
I'll tip my cap to Matt if he pulls this off.
Remember who broke the Slice news

goredmen

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2018, 10:08:37 PM »
Obviously I've never seen him play but judging his by accolades and size I think he'd be our starting 3 right off the bat. A starting lineup of Ponds, Simon, LJ, Clark and Keita is solid. Then add in Dixon in a microwave off the bench type role plus minutes for Trimble + Williams and that's a good squad. Just one more true big away from having the potential to do something really special. But we all know it's never easy around here

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 10:11:51 PM »
You get the chance to add a wing player who can score and you take it. Would give us more options playing small ball with Simon in the front court.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2018, 09:12:48 AM »
If our lineup has 3 top 100 recruits Clark, Figueroa and a couple of 4 star freshman off the bench there should be no excuses for not winning. Other coaches in our conference have made the tournament with less.

Wods317

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 09:26:10 AM »
If our lineup has 3 top 100 recruits Clark, Figueroa and a couple of 4 star freshman off the bench there should be no excuses for not winning. Other coaches in our conference have made the tournament with less.

Figueroa was also top 100 on 247. If we land him and bring back ponds there’s no excuse not to dance.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:26:46 AM by Wods317 »

Marillac

Re: LJ Figueroa - SG - Odessa JUCO Transfer
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2018, 12:59:16 AM »

Especially as a freshman. This kid is a walking bucket, he can score in a multitude of ways, has good size, footwork. For what he'd mean to our overall depth chart and need for another scorer it's time to get excited again around here bc he would put our backcourt over the top. 

I meant to add "as a freshman." Goes without saying that I would welcome a 3-4-5 of Fig-Simon-Clark.

Re: LJ Figueroa - SG - Odessa JUCO Transfer
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2018, 06:24:35 AM »
How are we standing with him.