Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 458 replies
Re: Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »
If you are not qualified out of High School and go JUCO for 2 years it is near impossible for you not to qualify after that.

You would have to be a complete nice person.  By then the NCAA is only interested in your 2 years at JUCO which means the JUCO would to have done something screwed up.

Sucks that we had a near impossible case a few years back.

Who?

I assume he means last year and Keith Thomas.

Good point but Keith Thomas did clear and then it became clear the entire school and athletic program at his JUCO was a fraud.

Hutchinson is totally different.  Again for the most part transcripts are associated with HS kids not JUCO kids.

I have no idea how it works with JUCO...

So a kid that is non-qualifier can go to JUCO and as long as he passes he can be deemed eligible. Are there requirements to meet for the NCAA Clearinghouse? Do players have to get an Associates Degree or maintain minimum GPA to gain Div I eligibility..?

honestly don't know any of these answers...

Do not need an associates degree if they are in good academic standing, at least thats the case with normal students. Not sure if thats the case with players who originally didn't qualify.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2015, 01:42:19 PM »
Most  recruiting sites saying we get this player. He would be a huge get for us.

exact quote from a local assistant - "his transcript is a mess"

Don't want to start a fight, but this is not true.  The assistant must be talking about high school. 

I hope you are right but I will take the word of the guy who has taken a look at the transcripts...

Then know you are taking the word of a guy that is either (a) violating the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act  by disclosing information found in Bashir's transcript to you or (b) outright lying to you.  It doesn't take a detective to deduce the source of your information is your purported Seton Hall contact -- the one that told you Angel Delgado wasn't going to qualify and who gives you free floor seats. 

You didn't want to start a fight but start making accusations about a friend...   

My "purported" Seton Hall contact has not been at Seton Hall in years but glad you are paying attention....   that contact is now a Div I head coach.

As for the person violating something - he did nothing wrong because he told me nothing specific. Maybe you should call the NCAA on me and they can investigate and make sure you give then all those specifics you seem to think you know.

Actually he did do something very wrong if he is telling the truth because he viewed protected information in his capacity as an employee for a university and then disclosed that information to you.

If you bothered to do a 30-second google search you would have realized that the NJCAA requires 2nd year student-athletes to have 24 or more earned credits and a 2.0 or higher GPA.  Hutchinson requires its students to have above a 2.0 GPA as well and Bashir's conference requires all scholarship athletes to maintain a 3.5 GPA .

I don't mean to stand on a soap box, but surely you see the difference between posting that you think someone will be ineligible and citing to information a young kid has the right to keep private? How would you like it if someone posted hearsay about your medical records?

ras

« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »
A 3.5 GPA seems very high. Especially for players who couldn't qualify out of HS. Hard to believe that number for scholarship athletes in the conference is correct.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:17:35 PM by ras »

pmg911

« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2015, 02:21:04 PM »
Most  recruiting sites saying we get this player. He would be a huge get for us.

Don't want to start a fight, but this is not true.  The assistant must be talking about high school. 

I hope you are right but I will take the word of the guy who has taken a look at the transcripts...

Then know you are taking the word of a guy that is either (a) violating the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act  by disclosing information found in Bashir's transcript to you or (b) outright lying to you.  It doesn't take a detective to deduce the source of your information is your purported Seton Hall contact -- the one that told you Angel Delgado wasn't going to qualify and who gives you free floor seats. 

My "purported" Seton Hall contact has not been at Seton Hall in years but glad you are paying attention....   that contact is now a Div I head coach.

As for the person violating something - he did nothing wrong because he told me nothing specific. Maybe you should call the NCAA on me and they can investigate and make sure you give then all those specifics you seem to think you know.

Actually he did do something very wrong if he is telling the truth because he viewed protected information in his capacity as an employee for a university and then disclosed that information to you.

If you bothered to do a 30-second google search you would have realized that the NJCAA requires 2nd year student-athletes to have 24 or more earned credits and a 2.0 or higher GPA.  Hutchinson requires its students to have above a 2.0 GPA as well and Bashir's conference requires all scholarship athletes to maintain a 3.5 GPA .

I don't mean to stand on a soap box, but surely you see the difference between posting that you think someone will be ineligible and citing to information a young kid has the right to keep private? How would you like it if someone posted hearsay about your medical records?

You can't help yourself in terms of the soap box, you do it on EVERY topic you engage.

If the person shared specific information in regards to Ahmed, I would say you were 100% correct.

Marillac

« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »

You can't help yourself in terms of the soap box, you do it on EVERY topic you engage.

If the person shared specific information in regards to Ahmed, I would say you were 100% correct.

Now that we've got all that sorted out :)  Bashir Ahmed has already played in multiple scrimmages this season and  Matt A went to see one at the Dallas Jamboree.  That means he has at least 24 credits earned and at least a 2.0 GPA.  In other words, he is on pace to qualify and play D-1 ball.  Obviously that is subject to him taking care of his school work the rest of this school year.

In other news, Bashir won the Hutchinson CC chess tournament, so congrats to him on that.

« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2015, 04:02:09 PM »
My two cents for what is worth two cents. If student was awarded an associate degree and credits( his ) are acceptable by  local accredited colleges and universities he  meets the  NCAA requirements

In the alternative 48 semester hours completed at a JC can qualify if they are in an academic area. I recall a few years ago St Bonaventure's  recruited a student athlete   where the majority of earned credits were in welding. Did no pass muster with NCAA

Not sure why 48 could be it is considered normal or minimal  progress toward earning a degree. and 12  credits per term is qualification for full time status. 

« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2015, 04:11:41 PM »

Cmon Marillac. We like scoop and word of mouth posts here. It's a message board .

« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2015, 04:17:46 PM »
Agreed. Appreciate when Paultz, Baldi, Happy, 79, Dave, PMG, Fordham, Moose or others post something they hear which has credibility. What PMG heard is definitely relevant to this topic - obviously others disagree. Perhaps the local assistant is just wrong - that happens a lot. Or perhaps the assistant doesn't like St John's or failed to land Bashir and is annoyed at that.  Either way, I like hearing this stuff when it comes from good sources, right or wrong.

Marillac

« Reply #168 on: October 21, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »

Cmon Marillac. We like scoop and word of mouth posts here. It's a message board .

You can't just post whatever you want under the guise of a scoop and it be okay.  It's demonstrably false. 

Bashir has been playing for month.  Matt A even went to see one of his games a few weeks ago.  The NJCAA requires a second year athlete to have earned at least 24 credits and have a GPA of 2.0 or higher to participate.  Kids only need 48 credits and 2.0 to qualify to play D-1.  Am I missing something?  Here is the rule: 

Second Season Academic Requirements: Prior to a student-athlete’s participation in a second season of
a sport he/she must meet the appropriate Academic requirements of a first season participant AND.
D.3.a. Have accumulated 24 earned/passing semester hours with a GPA of 2.00 or OR
D.3.b. Have accumulated 36 quarter hours with a GPA of 2.00 or higher.

I'm done discussing this.  I hope Dave deletes this whole string of posts.  Some things are out of bounds even for high profile athletes, and information contained in their transcripts is certainly one of those areas. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #169 on: October 21, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »

You can't just post whatever you want under the guise of a scoop and it be okay.  It's demonstrably false. 

Bashir has been playing for month.  Matt A even went to see one of his games a few weeks ago.  The NJCAA requires a second year athlete to have earned at least 24 credits and have a GPA of 2.0 or higher to participate.  Kids only need 48 credits and 2.0 to qualify to play D-1.  Am I missing something?  Here is the rule: 

Second Season Academic Requirements: Prior to a student-athlete’s participation in a second season of
a sport he/she must meet the appropriate Academic requirements of a first season participant AND.
D.3.a. Have accumulated 24 earned/passing semester hours with a GPA of 2.00 or OR

I'm done discussing this.  I hope Dave deletes this whole string of posts.  Some things are out of bounds even for high profile athletes, and information contained in their transcripts is certainly one of those areas. 

Marillac, you really need to stop yourself.  Are you suggesting PMG is now creating and spreading false rumors about a potential recruit?  What has PMG ever done to deserve that kind of assumption being made of him?  Step back from this and gather yourself....
"I drink and I know things"

pmg911

« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2015, 10:35:28 AM »

Marillac, you really need to stop yourself.  Are you suggesting PMG is now creating and spreading false rumors about a potential recruit?  What has PMG ever done to deserve that kind of assumption being made of him?  Step back from this and gather yourself....

Kid - thank you but don't worry about it.

Marillac the All Knowing has spoken - we should all now change the subject..

If I had posted something specific - like his GPA last semester (which I have no idea what it is) then Marillac the ALL Knowing would have a very good argument and I would be out of bounds.

But hey - Marillac is right - just ask him

**PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DELETE ANY OF MY POSTS ON THE ENTIRE SITE IF THE MODS THINK APPROPRIATE**

« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
Guys,

Lets settle down.

1. Without guys posting what they hear, know, or think we wouldn't have much to talk about so don't stop.
2. It's not the first or last time you'll hear something questionable regarding academics with JUCO
3. I think Marillac may wind up being right but don't need to jump down PMG's throat for sharing.
4. PMG never posts anything untruthful. He might not have the most contacts but the ones he has are very good.
5. Both Marillac and PMG are great members of this community.

I trust this staff whole heartedly recruiting. I know Matt has been very successful recruiting JUCO, transfers, and overseas that if he's targeting a guy he's doing his due diligence on the player. With that being said you still roll the dice sometimes and hope you don't crap out. I have no first hand knowledge of his academic standing but with St. John's so far down the road with him I imagine they must feel pretty good.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Hutchinson College wing Bashir Ahmed took an unofficial to Oklahoma State last week. Says Texas and Texas A&M also recruiting him.

paultzman

« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2015, 08:58:37 PM »
Tonight;

@bluedragonsport: Bashir Ahmed has 27 points at halftime to lead HCC. He's 9 of 11 overall, 5 of 7 from 3 and 4 of 4 from the line

paultzman

« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2015, 09:57:13 PM »
For his 5-0 team in 21 points win:

@bluedragonsport: Bashir Ahmed scores a game-high 32 points with 9 rebounds. Samajae Haynes-Jones with 16.

paultzman

« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:23 AM »
@JucoRecruiting: 2016 Hutchinson CC guard, Bashir Ahmed, discusses recruitment and time-frame on decision:  https://t.co/1gQVOvxTIP https://t.co/dWB4GXuDVC

paultzman

« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Per @JucoRecruiting, top JUCO prospect Bashir Ahmed of The Bronx plans to verbal in December, says #sjubb and Cincinnati at top of his list.

@NYPost_Brazille: All along, #sjubb has been confident where it stands with Bashir Ahmed. This latest news supports that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 01:01:40 PM by paultzman »

paultzman

« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2015, 01:28:28 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Was told when Bashir Ahmed comes home for holiday break, he plans to attend an #sjubb game.

And....😊

Marillac

« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Hutch now 9-0.  Bash is averaging 20.1 ppg,50.4% from the field,  43.2% from three, 78.5% from the line, 5.8 boards, and 2.1 assists per game.  Only 13 turnovers through nine games thus far and averaging over 7 FT attempts per game.  Impressive.

He's playing mostly SF and some PF for a small team. 

hnk

« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2015, 11:44:06 AM »
I hope he stops blowing up...or we'll really diminish our chances of getting him. I'd prefer him over every other potential recruit including Thon or Rawlee.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:45:23 AM by hnk »