St. John's resolutions

• 12 replies
St. John's resolutions
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
What are some resolutions you'd like to see St. John's make?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

Re: St. John's resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
Under new AD, professionalize the Athletic Department, inclusive of assessing all facilities and developing strategic plans in response to such. Better compensating and recognizing front line AD employees appears to be also a specific area of need.

Develop a way to honor and recognize past players consistently. Nova does super job in that area.

Explore creative ways to increase student attendance.

Explore getting more community school age kids to games when starting time permits. At several games this year their participation was loud & clear. At CA for many games, there are many empty seats in upper tier. It helps with such an aging fan base, me included.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:33:41 PM »
Under new AD, professionalize the Athletic Department, inclusive of assessing all facilities and developing strategic plans in response to such. Better compensating and recognizing front line AD employees appears to be also a specific area of need.

Develop a way to honor and recognize past players consistently. Nova does super job in that area.

Explore creative ways to increase student attendance.

Explore getting more community school age kids to games when starting time permits. At several games this year their participation was loud & clear. At CA for many games, there are many empty seats in upper tier. It helps with such an aging fan base, me included.

Like all of these
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:35:09 PM »
Gotta make CA more comfortable. It feels like your watching a game in a porta potty

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 12:02:19 AM »
Gotta make CA more comfortable. It feels like your watching a game in a porta potty

And as has been talked about, do something about the student section. I actually liked the elevated sections when I was there, pretty nice vantage point and you can yell down at the other teams players, but it looks terrible on tv, is small and doesn't do much to increase noise or excitement like a good student section should.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 12:05:08 AM »
This can potentially be a really exciting time, possibly for the first time in SJU history the school has three visionaries and ambitious leaders at the President, AD, and coaching levels. Mullin provides the link to the past, and The President and the AD have a grand vision for the future and the drive to accomplish that vision.

1. Change local commuter school mentality into a power conference mentality.
2. Stop patchworking Carnasecca arena and upgrade it into a  7-8 thousand arena.
3. Celebrate the history of SJU past the "Mullin years" and educate the fan base on how much a basketball means to the school and NYC.  Texas A&M has all of their students learn the schools traditions before school starts...A&M even has a Grad Camp for their post grad students. Does SJU even talk about their basketball traditions at Freshmen orientation?
4. Stop worrying about being NY's team and just be NYC's team. The school as a whole needs to celebrate this link more.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 12:52:09 AM »
Agree with many of above legit areas that should be explored.

Now...Here's some silly pet peeves of mine

- no knock on JJ gear, but more consistent offering of official SJ merchandise (hats & apparel....( we're sponsored by Under Armor but barely have any UA merchandise for sale).  Can't even find tee/sweatshirts with the old style font we have on our jerseys.  Bookstore/online offering is not good. 

- re examine brand identity (logo/color scheme). Emphasize the red more for all teams if it's in our name.

- get some type of war song like VCU had at Battle 4 Atlantis.

- improve cheerleaders (actual cheers and fitness level) or get rid of them.  (Dance team is good)

- cowbell kid in pep band is entertaining.  Get him in red facepainy or outfit.  Improve quality of music from pep band. 

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:05:34 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 12:34:11 PM »
figure out a way to concentrate ALL the students into one section. Our current student section is only for paid season ticket holders (I believe). But there are plenty of students that show up on game day and are spread throughout the arena. If we can just get them together it'd make a more impressive student section.  I would also suggest to experiment with a game or 2 where the students are sat in center court.  I remember during games back in the Norm years students sat in those sections.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 01:45:01 PM »
figure out a way to concentrate ALL the students into one section. Our current student section is only for paid season ticket holders (I believe). But there are plenty of students that show up on game day and are spread throughout the arena. If we can just get them together it'd make a more impressive student section.  I would also suggest to experiment with a game or 2 where the students are sat in center court.  I remember during games back in the Norm years students sat in those sections.

Yes my junior or senior year they started this horrible practice of where the "student section" above the baskets is only for student season ticket holders. I believe it was Lavins first or second year, they wanted to make money of student season tickets based on Lavin. It was horrible they started sticking us at the top of section 1. I believe they still do this. Even have security at the student section when it's empty making sure no one thats not supposed to be there goes there. Trash.

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 02:03:54 PM »
If we start winning people will come. We will have young fans as well as old ones. For those that went The butler game was great. Google the PITT game when hardy hit the last shot. Their is no comparison. CA is fine for what it is. We need to establish The garden. That place can make us special.
We need to schedule better. Make the hoilday festival worth going or cancel it. Need to bring in former rivals and big state schools that will sell tickets and drive up interest. st. John's vs Michigan would sell out. That game would be on fox instead of fox sports.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 02:21:41 PM »

Yes my junior or senior year they started this horrible practice of where the "student section" above the baskets is only for student season ticket holders. I believe it was Lavins first or second year, they wanted to make money of student season tickets based on Lavin. It was horrible they started sticking us at the top of section 1. I believe they still do this. Even have security at the student section when it's empty making sure no one thats not supposed to be there goes there. Trash.

Sure, I mean, I get the idea of giving the students that did buy Season Tix preferential treatment but to keep other students out of an empty section is silly. I think an energized and unified student section would do wonders to improving school morale and spirit overall.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 10:56:48 PM »
play defense

derk

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 10:00:48 AM »
Agree with many of above legit areas that should be explored.

Now...Here's some silly pet peeves of mine

- no knock on JJ gear, but more consistent offering of official SJ merchandise (hats & apparel....( we're sponsored by Under Armor but barely have any UA merchandise for sale).  Can't even find tee/sweatshirts with the old style font we have on our jerseys.  Bookstore/online offering is not good. 

- re examine brand identity (logo/color scheme). Emphasize the red more for all teams if it's in our name.

- get some type of war song like VCU had at Battle 4 Atlantis.

- improve cheerleaders (actual cheers and fitness level) or get rid of them.  (Dance team is good)

- cowbell kid in pep band is entertaining.  Get him in red facepainy or outfit.  Improve quality of music from pep band. 

Use the dam replay screen for ... you know , replays. This can be done immediately.