Baruch Game Discussion (Exhib)

• 114 replies
Re: Baruch Game Discussion (Exhib)
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2016, 09:03:06 PM »
Or a chance to get to the dance the year before by refusing to enter a BE tourney game.  And that isn't speculation; I was sitting near their bench and saw him outright refuse while Tony Chiles tried to talk some sense into the kid.

SJUFAN

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2016, 11:20:47 PM »
I'm only pointing out some elements in Sima's game that needs to improve. It doesn't mean that he doesn't do some things well or that I believe he will not be a good college player for us. He just isn't an NBA player at this time.

But, and I ask this sincerely, its laughable to think Sima is a better player than CO at this point in their careers? On offense I dont think its even close. On defense id give the edge to CO, but Sima has the potential to guard centers and he only blocked 2.5 shots a game as a freshmen.

I said it was laughable to consider Sima a NBA player at this point in his career. I think your being a bit bias. You say on offense it's not even close, yet on defense you give an "edge" to CO, but Sima has "potential" to guard centers. Lets look at that for a second. Sima has much better hands and "looks" much more offensively polished than CO through there perspective freshman years. CO shot 39% from the stripe and 45% from the field. Sima shot 38% from the FT line and 48% from the field. Although Sima's offensive game looks better, at some point the ball has to go through the net. Doesn't matter what your shot looks like if you can't put the ball in the basket. I saw a stat that showed Sima's shooting % from the elbow was around 20%. So based on offensive efficiency, not "looks", they are not that far apart. So if we consider what we thought after CO's freshman year, not what we know as no one thought that CO wouldn't develop any semblance of an offensive game. CO also had "potential". Which as we have come to find out, never materialized. Defensively, its not even close. Sima's blocks aren't bad, but literally everything else on the defensive side of the ball isn't very good. CO impact was immense.   

Now Although I "believe" Sima will develop to become a better overall player for us than CO, at the same point in their perspective careers, and I'm not speaking about off the court behavior just strictly basketball ability, after their freshman year, CO had more potential. NBA wants talent, not just 6'11 guys. Look how many big men don't get drafted. That's my take on the matter. Good luck to Sima. I hope he develops into an all-time great johnnie who helps us finally get a NCAA championship.

Foad

« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2016, 06:54:47 AM »
I said it was laughable to consider Sima a NBA player at this point in his career.

If you walk your original statements back any further Sima will end up the best shooter you've ever seen since Jason Kapono.

« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2016, 09:18:17 AM »
Obekpa was a one trick pony, but he was dominate at that trick. Sima overall might be better at other aspects than Obekpa but that is not saying much. At this point in time if given a choice I would take Obekpa.

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »
I think Sima is more polished than Obeckpa but not as much of an animal. I think Obeckpa had a lot of raw potential that went untapped. Underrated passer and midrange shooter.

I think both CO and YS are both above average bigs for the conference. I'd like to Sima work on his hands and decisiveness. Needs to be ready to catch the ball and know where to look (pass or score) before defenses collapse on him. Between Lovett and Ponds we have two guys who can get into lane and dump off passes to bigs. Sima needs to be ready to catch those and score. I saw too many instances his hands were down and he looked surprised when the ball came his way. Less alligator arms and more length. That comes with repetition.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2016, 10:43:31 AM »
MULLIN should hire an assistant, advisor etc to work with the bigs and only the bigs. Footwork, movement, rotation, low post moves, blocking out, rebounding, touch around the hoop and on and on.

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2016, 10:56:56 AM »
MULLIN should hire an assistant, advisor etc to work with the bigs and only the bigs. Footwork, movement, rotation, low post moves, blocking out, rebounding, touch around the hoop and on and on.
Jayson Williams comes to mind.

Foad

« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2016, 11:08:02 AM »
Jayson Williams comes to mind.

He could also teach them gun safety.

« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2016, 11:17:25 AM »
Obekpa was a one trick pony, but he was dominate at that trick. Sima overall might be better at other aspects than Obekpa but that is not saying much. At this point in time if given a choice I would take Obekpa.

Obviously Obekpa... for his positive attitude, motivation to get better, and his dedication to the team.   :-/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:18:01 AM by Towerofshred »

« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2016, 11:56:03 AM »

Obviously Obekpa... for his positive attitude, motivation to get better, and his dedication to the team.   :-/

Would also take Rysheed Jordan over someone like Geno

« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2016, 06:49:59 PM »
I'm only pointing out some elements in Sima's game that needs to improve. It doesn't mean that he doesn't do some things well or that I believe he will not be a good college player for us. He just isn't an NBA player at this time.

But, and I ask this sincerely, its laughable to think Sima is a better player than CO at this point in their careers? On offense I dont think its even close. On defense id give the edge to CO, but Sima has the potential to guard centers and he only blocked 2.5 shots a game as a freshmen.

I said it was laughable to consider Sima a NBA player at this point in his career. I think your being a bit bias. You say on offense it's not even close, yet on defense you give an "edge" to CO, but Sima has "potential" to guard centers. Lets look at that for a second. Sima has much better hands and "looks" much more offensively polished than CO through there perspective freshman years. CO shot 39% from the stripe and 45% from the field. Sima shot 38% from the FT line and 48% from the field. Although Sima's offensive game looks better, at some point the ball has to go through the net. Doesn't matter what your shot looks like if you can't put the ball in the basket. I saw a stat that showed Sima's shooting % from the elbow was around 20%. So based on offensive efficiency, not "looks", they are not that far apart. So if we consider what we thought after CO's freshman year, not what we know as no one thought that CO wouldn't develop any semblance of an offensive game. CO also had "potential". Which as we have come to find out, never materialized. Defensively, its not even close. Sima's blocks aren't bad, but literally everything else on the defensive side of the ball isn't very good. CO impact was immense.   

Now Although I "believe" Sima will develop to become a better overall player for us than CO, at the same point in their perspective careers, and I'm not speaking about off the court behavior just strictly basketball ability, after their freshman year, CO had more potential. NBA wants talent, not just 6'11 guys. Look how many big men don't get drafted. That's my take on the matter. Good luck to Sima. I hope he develops into an all-time great johnnie who helps us finally get a NCAA championship.

"I would take the opinion of many on this site, with respect to their ability to assess talent, with a grain of salt. Many were touting Sima better than Obekpa. I hope we see how ridiculous that is. We can find players like French, players like Brown, not so easy. "

That is what you said.

To your point v my biases, you made sure to point out your own: scoring is the end-all-be-all in relation to offensive ability.  I never once trusted CO with the ball in his hands, whereas, I do not feel anxious when Sima does. Maybe I hold that in higher regard than most. That would be my bias. I would also give sima the edge in passing ability. So in my book, better shooter, passer, ball handler, smarter player, taller player, worse shot blocker (but 2.5 as fresh is great), a little slower.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »

"I would take the opinion of many on this site, with respect to their ability to assess talent, with a grain of salt. Many were touting Sima better than Obekpa. I hope we see how ridiculous that is. We can find players like French, players like Brown, not so easy. "

That is what you said.

The talk about him being a NBA player is laughable. 

I thought you were referencing this comment I made later.

To your point v my biases, you made sure to point out your own: scoring is the end-all-be-all in relation to offensive ability.  I never once trusted CO with the ball in his hands, whereas, I do not feel anxious when Sima does. Maybe I hold that in higher regard than most. That would be my bias. I would also give sima the edge in passing ability. So in my book, better shooter, passer, ball handler, smarter player, taller player, worse shot blocker (but 2.5 as fresh is great), a little slower.

I agree that Sima is a better offensive player, however, based on their numbers not by much. I'm speaking about their potential following their perspective freshman seasons. Look at the end of the day who had a greater impact on the game during their perspective freshman season? Granted Sima's was shorten by injury. I believe without question it was CO. Do you feel otherwise?

Poison

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2016, 05:53:24 AM »

That is what you said.

I agree that Sima is a better offensive player, however, based on their numbers not by much. I'm speaking about their potential following their perspective freshman seasons. Look at the end of the day who had a greater impact on the game during their perspective freshman season? Granted Sima's was shorten by injury. I believe without question it was CO. Do you feel otherwise?

This is silly. Obeckpa was an NBA prospect. He blew it. He was more talented. He was faster, and he was more athletic. He wasn't, however, more focused or more grown up.

« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2016, 09:49:48 AM »

Would also take Rysheed Jordan over someone like Geno
Yeah as long as you don't mind ducking and dodging bullets like Hillary on the tarmac.

SJUFAN

« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2016, 01:10:09 PM »

That is what you said.

This is silly. Obeckpa was an NBA prospect. He blew it. He was more talented. He was faster, and he was more athletic. He wasn't, however, more focused or more grown up.

That's it in a nutshell.