Playing Time

• 28 replies
Re: Playing Time
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 08:56:41 PM »
If the three can rebound a bit and play some D in could work for 15-20 minutes.

Mussini is actually a decent rebounder for his size. I have no concerns about Ponds or Lovett.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 08:58:36 PM »
I did not see 1 minute of the game. But right now, who is the better college basketball player? Ponds or Mussini?

Ponds is much better defensively while mussini might just be a little better shooter. If i had to choose one to be our starting pg for the year id take ponds for sure. To be our starting sg I would flip a coin. Hell, I might start all three.

All three is the best option IMO. Cycle the bigs through to keep them fresh. Those three are just so fast and have active hands to generate easy baskets.

I would play them together but would rather Mussini come off the bench and just attack.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
I think it's really tough to analyze or anoint Ponds after a pep rally and against D3 competition. However so far he's shown a lot of positive things. He's been a good teammate, he's been scrappy defensively, and he's looked comfortable with the ball in his hands.

I know a lot of people who want to go overboard on Mussini (positive or negative) but I think he's a very valuable asset to this team. Mussini is calculated and has confidence to his game. He may be limited athletically but I do think he makes up for that with his change of speeds and quick shot release.

Ponds shares some of Mussini's traits but is a little more wizard than machine. He'll contort his body and lay the ball up 1 handed and it looks so natural. He'll float a ball in the paint and it drops right in. It's why he's called "Slick"

Add in Lovett who is a stronger more pass oriented version of both of them and we got ourselves a really great lead trio of guards. Oh yea and there is this 6'6 guy named Malik Ellison who is gravy if he can stay healthy.

We can nitpick their games or try and pin one better than the other but I'm more excited about discussing the pairing of them all and they way they compliment each other.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 09:37:06 PM »
I don't know if it was because of Williams' injury history but was interesting to see Amar get more minutes than him in the game yesterday.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2016, 10:23:36 PM »
I don't know if it was because of Williams' injury history but was interesting to see Amar get more minutes than him in the game yesterday.

I think it was more unfortunate than interesting. Doesn't look like the staff thinks Williams is ready to play. He played less than a walk on. We all heard from Mullin that he's healthy, but clearly we need to take that with a grain of salt. Alibegovic isn't better than any of our bigs.

SJUFAN

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 11:55:21 PM »
I did not see 1 minute of the game. But right now, who is the better college basketball player? Ponds or Mussini?
Ponds

It's a tough comparison because Ponds does so much with his physical talent and Mussini is all skill. I guess I'd go with Ponds but I think they will complement the hell out of each other. I think Mussini could be a great third or fourth guard on an Elite 8 caliber team (which we clearly are not this year).  This team needs Mussini.

Who were the starting five?

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2016, 12:21:32 AM »
Ponds

It's a tough comparison because Ponds does so much with his physical talent and Mussini is all skill. I guess I'd go with Ponds but I think they will complement the hell out of each other. I think Mussini could be a great third or fourth guard on an Elite 8 caliber team (which we clearly are not this year).  This team needs Mussini.

Who were the starting five?

Lovett-Ponds-Ahmed-Yakwe-Sima

Owens and Mussini were the first subs in.  Ellison didn't dress for the game.  Ellison will really have to expand his game to more of a traditional small forward (rebounding and defense) to maximize his value to this team since his height is the thing that separates him from Mussini and Ponds.

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
After watching Ahmed and Freudenberg, I doubt there will be minutes for Ellison at small forward.

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 11:49:24 AM »

Ponds is much better defensively while mussini might just be a little better shooter. If i had to choose one to be our starting pg for the year id take ponds for sure. To be our starting sg I would flip a coin. Hell, I might start all three.

All three is the best option IMO. Cycle the bigs through to keep them fresh. Those three are just so fast and have active hands to generate easy baskets.

Ellison's not even in the conversation?

Well then, let me interject...