43 41 40 48 46 Hut Hut Hike

• 7 replies
43 41 40 48 46 Hut Hut Hike
« on: December 23, 2016, 12:02:52 PM »
These are the 3 pt shooting percentages of our top five scorers.  This doesn't even include oedipus who is starting to look like he might be able to make some as well.

Even our teams led by three point studs like Avery P and the Triangle were light years away from this level of prowess.

Could this possibly be evidence of a coaching strength for duo Run MC?

MCNPA

Re: 43 41 40 48 46 Hut Hut Hike
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
 Whatever it is, i like it.  Defense can be worked on, but shooting is harder to teach at this point.   I really enjoy having a SJU team that can put up points.  If we can learn to defend consistently, we can be pretty good.  We are a few big men away from being a pretty balanced team.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
Defense can be worked on? It hasn't been worked on. I enjoy watching teams that win or at least compete. The Syracuse game was great. Mullin and staff did an excellent job of keeping the team together during a tough stretch. Still we are 6-7. 18 big east games to play. The Syracuse game proved that mullin hasn't lost the team, but it also proved we have some talent.

ras

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 12:34:07 PM »
Defense can be worked on? It hasn't been worked on. I enjoy watching teams that win or at least compete. The Syracuse game was great. Mullin and staff did an excellent job of keeping the team together during a tough stretch. Still we are 6-7. 18 big east games to play. The Syracuse game proved that mullin hasn't lost the team, but it also proved we have some talent.

I have to think defense has been worked on. If not , it's on the staff.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
These are the 3 pt shooting percentages of our top five scorers.  This doesn't even include oedipus who is starting to look like he might be able to make some as well.

Even our teams led by three point studs like Avery P and the Triangle were light years away from this level of prowess.

It's so early that it would be foolish to expect some of those players to remain above 40% (e.g., Ellison has banked in two of his 16 off the glass and that represents 12.5% at this stage). I don't think Lovett is a 40% shooter either. I think Moose and Ponds are for real, though, and the rest are solid enough to make us a dangerous outside shooting team.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 01:09:21 PM »
Just like the old TMC team... great scoring with not much in defense other than a tall guy in the middle occasionally blocking some shots. Hopefully, the last win will be the turning point and they will start playing some defense. For now, I will be happy with some sort of blend between a zone defense which forces the other team to trade 3's with us and a press when the other team doesn't have much of a bench.

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 01:27:52 PM »
Just like the old TMC team... great scoring with not much in defense other than a tall guy in the middle occasionally blocking some shots. Hopefully, the last win will be the turning point and they will start playing some defense. For now, I will be happy with some sort of blend between a zone defense which forces the other team to trade 3's with us and a press when the other team doesn't have much of a bench.

Actually just T & C didn't play D. M was a good defender.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 04:50:11 PM »

It's so early that it would be foolish to expect some of those players to remain above 40% (e.g., Ellison has banked in two of his 16 off the glass and that represents 12.5% at this stage). I don't think Lovett is a 40% shooter either. I think Moose and Ponds are for real, though, and the rest are solid enough to make us a dangerous outside shooting team.

With feet set I think Lovett is a really good shooter.  Great form. Seems to rush it from time to time when off the dribble.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.