What is the biggest priority for SJUBB, coaching or program building?

• 41 replies
Re: What is the biggest priority for SJUBB, coaching or program building?
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 07:56:29 PM »

The roster is limited. But we should not finish in 9/10 place.

Limited doesn't mean bad. This team could be playing better

Where should we finish with this roster if not 9/10?

Better coaching 6/7. With a .500 record. Talent is close to NIT level. Way better then Oliver purnel level, where I think we finish.

We have talent but we are a very young team. Who in the big east are we better then if we should finish 6th? I would say DePaul and you can argue for providence maybe but other then that I don't think we are better then any of the other teams. We have some talent but depth size  and experience we do not have.

Limited doesn't mean bad. This team could be playing better

Better coaching 6/7. With a .500 record. Talent is close to NIT level. Way better then Oliver purnel level, where I think we finish.
Tony. . . Not just about talent. . .for us its lack of height and I think, more importantly, strength. Our guys are too slight of build. Many of the match ups are just too tough. GT, for instance, is a big team with guys built like men. I don't think they are very good and, with our talent level, we could/should beat them.

Unfortunately it's boys vs. men. Providence handled them last night by playing well and not having to back down. Hell, even their point guard, although only 5'8", is built solidly (185 lbs.).

We've all experienced it. Very different confidence level when facing someone who, although more skilled, does not present an overwhelmingly physical challenge.

Best analogy for me is 2 NYG Super Bowls. I knew they had no chance against the Raven as they were too physically imposing for the Giants (bad matchup) but I thought they had a punchers chance against the Pats especially after not getting pushed around in game 16.

Providence particularly won last night's game due to having a good game plan on the defensive end.  They were switching up their defense, but mainly settled into a sagging 2-3 zone, and allowed Campbell, Mulmore, and Mosley to shoot.  But, they was harassing and quickly, closing out on Peak, Pryor, Govan, and Derrickson.  They wasn't gonna allow Georgetown to have their way on the blocks (although, their inside game is inconsistent, IMO).

Cartwright does have a solid build, but he overall played a smart, fundamental game last night.  Providence's win had far more to do with their gameplan rather than anything else.

Georgetown may not be the best matchup for us, but they sure aren't the poor matchup, as several of y'all (not you in particular) try to make it.  IMO, we shouldn't have gotten blasted by the Hoyas last week.  Frankly, we should beat 'em when they visit us next month.  I've stated they stink, and last night only cemented those thoughts. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:58:45 PM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

Re: What is the biggest priority for SJUBB, coaching or program building?
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »
The answer is obviously program building. Good programs always have older players that seem to "come out of nowhere." It gives hope to young guys that don't play the first year or two. It also makes the off-season run like a well oiled machine. That kind of continuity is invaluable.

Think of how easy it would be to get guys like DJ and Boothe back here to help in the offseason if they have the same coach and offseason program as the current group.