Tariq Owens

• 21 replies
Re: Tariq Owens
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 11:04:12 AM »
Obekpa was all the things I said (good and bad). It is indisputable that he quit on us twice in the biggest spots.  I don't care how talented you are, I don't want kids like that on my team.

Chris obekpa especially when he was younger was so overrated. Owens is a better offensive player. A better defender. And almost as good shot blocker.

I think a few posters like to diss Obekpa's game because he was a clown.  He was an incredible shotblocker (became the St. John's all-time shotblocker as a sophomore, if I'm not mistaken).  He blocked 133 shots as a freshman!  He was also an underrated passer.

I didn't particularly care about some his shenanigans, but he had one trait that he did incredibly well, and it was swatting shots.

Besides, Obekpa's numbers are similar to Owens's. 

I'll take Obekpa over any center we've had in the last 20 years. And I'll live with all of the horrible things he did. He didn't quit the team in the middle of the season, start the biggest mass brawl/riot in NBA history or kill anyone, but shit, you'd think he was worse if you read this board.

He didn't literally quit the team in the middle of the season. And I think your accusation of him quitting on the team twice isn't 100% confirmed. It's been talked about here. That doesn't make it a fact.

How quick you forget. He quit multiple times and once during a game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Tariq Owens
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 11:42:48 AM »
Yup.  And not just a "game".  A Big East tournament game, which may have resulted in a tourney berth if we won.  And it has been confirmed by multiple outlets.  And even if it wasn't, I know it happened, because I was sitting next to the St. John's bench and heard him refuse to enter the game when Lavin asked, in the process of a crazy comeback, and then saw Tony Chiles (in disgust) try and talk sense into the kid.  Oh yeah, and he also thanked Dom, D-Lo, Jamal and Phil by being careless enough to test positive for weed before their first NCAA tourney game at St. John's.

I agree with you that he is probably the best Center we've had here in a long time.  And I agree with you that he was a remarkable shot blocker - one of the best I've seen in colleg hoops in the last decade, if not longer.  But if you are going to pull the crap he pulled, I don't want you on any team I root for.