Providence predictions

• 51 replies

Aces

Re: Providence predictions
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 12:38:19 PM »
1.  We do not have the right players for his system.   You can't swing the ball around, because Yawke has stone hands, and there is no low post threat.  Hence, it makes it easy to defend against us.

2. Because we have no help inside, and can't swing the ball around, the guards (Lovett and ahmed specifically) feel the urge to do it themselves and make an isolation play, which completely goes against the philosophy of ball movement.

3. His system replicates the warriors, and is efficient. It is just lacking the pieces, so everyone has to relax and get off the coaching staffs back. He needs the right players, and I believe next year, we will see huge results.

4. Listen to what calipari said after his teams loss last night. They didn't win, because they played too much 1v1, and they will continue to not win if they do that.

5. Calipari however, can correct this because he has the players to play in his system. Mullin does not have the players, so its hard to preach.

6. The gameplans this year have been good for the most part. Tulane, Syracuse, and Butler were most notable, even against NOVA, we limited Jenkins to score from the field.  It is hard to win without players.    Next year with SIMON and CLARK and grad transfer. we will hopefully have the guys to run and play the system. We'll have high flyers slashing on a fast break, and length to move the ball around all over the court. Getting a competent big or two is crucial.

Trying to offer a positive outlook. Hopefully we win tonights game.

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 01:23:32 PM »
Very good points. I agree 100% that players don't just get better because they get old 

I believe players do get better just because they get old.

A person's athletic prime is probably 27 chronologically. 21 or 22 is closer to that than 18 or 19.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 01:45:55 PM »
Except when seniors get senioritis and play for themselves and upset team chemistry and team underachieves.

Wods317

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »
Very good points. I agree 100% that players don't just get better because they get old 

A person's athletic prime is probably 27 chronologically. 21 or 22 is closer to that than 18 or 19.

That is an over simplification. Getting better comes with practice and playing together. Sure the body is maturing physically but basketball is not just about strength. By that logic you could get better by never picking up a basketball.

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 03:26:38 PM »
The biggest factor in players getting better as they age is experience.

More basketball experience is always going to make you better.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:27:17 PM by redstorm212 »

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2017, 03:30:06 PM »
1.  We do not have the right players for his system.   You can't swing the ball around, because Yawke has stone hands, and there is no low post threat.  Hence, it makes it easy to defend against us.

2. Because we have no help inside, and can't swing the ball around, the guards (Lovett and ahmed specifically) feel the urge to do it themselves and make an isolation play, which completely goes against the philosophy of ball movement.

3. His system replicates the warriors, and is efficient. It is just lacking the pieces, so everyone has to relax and get off the coaching staffs back. He needs the right players, and I believe next year, we will see huge results.

4. Listen to what calipari said after his teams loss last night. They didn't win, because they played too much 1v1, and they will continue to not win if they do that.

5. Calipari however, can correct this because he has the players to play in his system. Mullin does not have the players, so its hard to preach.

6. The gameplans this year have been good for the most part. Tulane, Syracuse, and Butler were most notable, even against NOVA, we limited Jenkins to score from the field.  It is hard to win without players.    Next year with SIMON and CLARK and grad transfer. we will hopefully have the guys to run and play the system. We'll have high flyers slashing on a fast break, and length to move the ball around all over the court. Getting a competent big or two is crucial.

I think we'll look a lot better running defenders off of Clark's 235 ponds  40 times a game.

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »

That is an over simplification. Getting better comes with practice and playing together. Sure the body is maturing physically but basketball is not just about strength. By that logic you could get better by never picking up a basketball.

Pretend you invented a new sport that nobody had ever played and formed two teams to play it.  One was comprised of 6 eighteen and nineteen year olds and the other was comprised of 6 twenty-one and twenty-two year olds.

The older team would win a series of games in this sport, let's call it Abbatielloia, over the younger team every day and twice on Sunday. 

Of course practice and playing together are important components of a team's success.

But so is having older players just because they are old.

Wods317

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »

Pretend you invented a new sport that nobody had ever played and formed two teams to play it.  One was comprised of 6 eighteen and nineteen year olds and the other was comprised of 6 twenty-one and twenty-two year olds.

The older team would win a series of games in this sport, let's call it Abbatielloia, over the younger team every day and twice on Sunday. 

Of course practice and playing together are important components of a team's success.

But so is having older players just because they are old.

Don't really agree. There are a million other factors that go into sports other then older makes you better. Wacky example btw lol.

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »

I think we'll look a lot better running defenders off of Clark's 235 ponds  40 times a game.

He will certainly help but he is more Lamont Middleton / Anthony Glover complimentary player. Def better than anything we have but not sure it will totally keep defenses honest against our perimeter players.

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »
Providence is terrible

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2017, 08:48:17 PM »
Ponds' 11 will steal it. Move over Danny Ocean.

You tell them Big Dog.

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »
Rodney Bullock scores 31.

Wooof Wooof ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.