Any given 40 min

• 37 replies

redslope

Re: Any given 40 min
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »
We can't beat teams with beef this year. Marquette was just as skinny as us. Hopefully it's a different story next year with Clark's 235 pounds, Williams after actual weight room work (I believe he's functionally much stronger than Jones), and Owens checking in 25 lbs heavier. 

How did Marquette beat Nova? If we played Nova like we did last night, does that give us a chance?

Hart got in foul trouble and only played 19 min.  Dante who killed us played like a frosh.  Nova went 3 happy (6-34) rather than attacking the rim==inside the arc they were shooting 63%.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 07:12:06 PM »
For those asking about #sjubb/NIT chances, there is no rule anymore that states have to finish .500.
-Zach Braziller
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 07:19:01 PM »
If Mullin somehow made the NIT after a 1-17 season and losing his top assistant, he's coach of the year for at least the conference. I don't see any way this happens, though, but it's nice to have a little hope before reality sets in over the next week or so.

Dan

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »
this team is so inconsistent but the marquette game was fantastic

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 08:27:25 PM »
For those asking about #sjubb/NIT chances, there is no rule anymore that states have to finish .500.
-Zach Braziller

Why would he even say that. We have a better chance of making the NCAA tournament than making the NIT. At least if we shoot 65% from the field for 120 minutes in a row we can steal the NCAA automatic bid. That gives us about a 0.5% chance to make the NCAA tournament. It's practically impossible for us to make the NIT

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 08:40:16 PM »
Agree. But isn't it nice after 24 games and almost 2/3 of the way through the BE schedule, some people are even talking about it.

MCNPA

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 09:44:03 PM »
It's nice that we are improving, and we are showing a nice trajectory in year 2 as the second youngest team in the country.  I'll take that.  We will still have our ups and downs, but every game should be a war.  Anything more is gravy at this point. 

Dan

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
obvious but the step forward will depending upon coaching, will they get the most out of these guys, next year's class, and will anyone leave

however I will say every time this team lays an egg they have seemed to come up with a good performance

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
At this point I will take any postseason tourney.  Both the NCAA's and NIT are out of the question.  However go to the CBI, if invited, and get the kids experience in playing in a tourney setting so that they can keep playing meaningful games.  I do not think last nights game was a fluke that we played well for 40 minutes, but I also think it is unrealistic to think this is what we will see for the remaining of the games, as do a lot of others.  We are too small and still lack a lot of the fundamentals to win big games unfortunately consistently. 

This Saturday will be a real test going up against Nova on the road.  Whether we are young or not, lets see how coaches adjusted to the last time we played them along with the players.  Are we still jumping at every ball fake, will we go back to street ball if down, will our bigs stay out of foul trouble, will we tighten up with the ball and limit turnovers?  The list goes on and on, but if this is our core going into next year and we add some legitimate size and tenacity on the boards, I truly believe year 3 could be the jump we all want so badly.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »
I hope the players believe that they can beat any team in the Big East.  I will continue to be as delusional as they are.

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »
At this point I will take any postseason tourney.  Both the NCAA's and NIT are out of the question.  However go to the CBI, if invited, and get the kids experience in playing in a tourney setting so that they can keep playing meaningful games.  I do not think last nights game was a fluke that we played well for 40 minutes, but I also think it is unrealistic to think this is what we will see for the remaining of the games, as do a lot of others.  We are too small and still lack a lot of the fundamentals to win big games unfortunately consistently. 

This Saturday will be a real test going up against Nova on the road.  Whether we are young or not, lets see how coaches adjusted to the last time we played them along with the players.  Are we still jumping at every ball fake, will we go back to street ball if down, will our bigs stay out of foul trouble, will we tighten up with the ball and limit turnovers?  The list goes on and on, but if this is our core going into next year and we add some legitimate size and tenacity on the boards, I truly believe year 3 could be the jump we all want so badly.

Would rather not see us except an invite to the CBI or CIT. We will have played a minimum of 32  games and a few more against crappy teams is no going to help. Just my opinion. Plus if they play them I'll have to watch.  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:32:08 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2017, 11:08:51 PM »

Would rather not see us except an invite to the CBI or CIT. We will have played a minimum of 32  games and a few more against crappy teams is no going to help. Just my opinion. Plus if they play them I'll have to watch.  :)

No Big East team has played in the CBI since the 2012 Pittsburgh team. And the CIT is for mid majors.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:10:07 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »
The only team we couldn't beat was a Foster lead Creighton team
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Dan

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2017, 01:41:17 AM »

No Big East team has played in the CBI since the 2012 Pittsburgh team. And the CIT is for mid majors.

But St. John's did play in 2009 (and lost to Richmond).

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »
Teams with talented, physical bigs are extremely difficult for us to match up with.  Aside from Creighton, there aren't many teams like that in the big east.

X did a pretty good job of beating us up this year.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
Xavier did, Seton Hall did and Georgetown did. 

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »

But St. John's did play in 2009 (and lost to Richmond).
An awful game. We had to watch it on an awful stream . Sean Evans (who I like ) played terribly from what I can remember.

Dan

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »
If they want to be considered for the NIT, they need a huge win against Villanova after losing to Delaware St and LIU, combined with a mediocre Big East record.  At this point they have a better chance of going on a run and winning the BET (which would still be incredibly slim) and making the NCAA without a win like that.