Defense

• 9 replies

Poison

Defense
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:39:00 PM »
What made today such a disgrace was the fact that we didn’t even bother to box out. We gave them easy baskets all day. The only player who was ready for a rebound was Yakwe, but for some reason Mullin kept playing Alibegovic. Why? He’s the worst defender we’ve ever had. He is probably the worst player we’ve ever had. I had expected a staff that has now had 3 years with the same player to teach him something, anything. But they have clearly failed. The BE season is the great equalizer. No more chumps. Every game is tough, and even though we knew a loss was possible, we came out sluggish and unwilling to work.

Mullin is learning that coaching isn’t as easy as he expected it to be. His arrogance will continue to cost him games if he continues to point his finger at anyone but himself. This loss is entirely on him and the inept staff he’s fielded. It’s time for him to take a look in the mirror and start taking some responsibility for his performance.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 07:40:08 PM by Poison »

Re: Defense
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:44:52 PM »
Agree 100%.

Whether fundamental skills or motovation, it's on the head coach to stress what needs to change during game.

If he can't at least inspire effort, that's a problem.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
Agree 100%.

Whether fundamental skills or motovation, it's on the head coach to stress what needs to change during game.

He’s a drawing card. A name. He spends the entire game bitching to the refs.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:15:47 PM »
Agree 100%.

He’s a drawing card. A name. He spends the entire game bitching to the refs.
100%agree with your entire post at top of this page. Mullin has proven to be stubborn and arrogant wanting to do it his way which has proven not to work. Waste of time working the refs all he is doing is antagonizing them he is not Red Auerbach. Carmine needs to grow up we are not all 5 year old kids Daddy can do no wrong. Froze my balls off for this shit to marinate in that on campus dump of an arena. Last year for me unless things change. I'll watch on TV as there is a lack of good comedies on the tube these days unless I see a change to this comfee cozy lacking staff. All Mullin's years in basketball and he hires a teenager as his X and O's coach.

isham

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »
Part of the problem with the rebounding on the offensive end is there is no one under the basket to rebound. Today they were being pushed under the basket making it impossible to rebound.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 09:08:53 PM »
Part of the problem with the rebounding on the offensive end is there is no one under the basket to rebound. Today they were being pushed under the basket making it impossible to rebound.
You have to be near the basket to be pushed under the basket. Most times we shoot an outside shot there is no one within 15-20 feet of the basket.

jr49

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 04:11:27 PM »
If ya dont get it done in practice, it's not going to happen in a big east game. I don't think enough guys to   be playing for time or getting a little pushing and nastyness going. To many guys playing the 2. 

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »
If ya dont get it done in practice, it's not going to happen in a big east game. I don't think enough guys to   be playing for time or getting a little pushing and nastyness going. To many guys playing the 2. 

I said the same thing to my friend yesterday. Everyone thinks they are a scoring guard. Maric is a productive big man. We made him look like Kevin Love. However, I will say in fairness, the terrible defense we’ve played vs DePaul and Providence was only present in those games. It’s not like those teams are significantly better than Nebraska, Oregon State, UCF, Missou, ASU and St.Joseph’s.

In fact, it’s possible that neither are as good as any of the teams I mentioned. Mullin lost these games because he didn’t adjust. He needs to recognize that coaching requires adjustments.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 06:59:42 PM »

I said the same thing to my friend yesterday. Everyone thinks they are a scoring guard. Maric is a productive big man. We made him look like Kevin Love. However, I will say in fairness, the terrible defense we’ve played vs DePaul and Providence was only present in those games. It’s not like those teams are significantly better than Nebraska, Oregon State, UCF, Missou, ASU and St.Joseph’s.

In fact, it’s possible that neither are as good as any of the teams I mentioned. Mullin lost these games because he didn’t adjust. He needs to recognize that coaching requires adjustments.
What could is recognizing that you have to make adjustments if you obviously don't know what adjustments to make. If he could figure things out he would be doing them. He ain't gonna change into Rollie Masimino overnight or probably ever.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 09:35:51 PM »
Carmine needs to grow up

Ain't happening.  I got my blinky, my blanky and my baba filled with bourbon.  I'm good.