Should Simon run the point?

• 22 replies

goredmen

Re: Should Simon run the point?
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »
The game is positionless.

That's not entirely true, especially with the PG role. Every team needs a competent PG in order to reach their full potential. That is extremely evident at the college level. It is impossible for a college team to be good without a competent PG.

There are also numerous guys in every class whose draft stock is hurt by not having the size to play the 2 while also not having true PG skills, or not big enough to play the 4 and not athletic enough to play the 3.

Every team needs a ball handler.

I think what most people are looking for out of Simon "running the point" is being the facilitator and being able to penetrate and kick.

I'm pretty meh on the Simon as PG thing in general, just saying that the cool thing these days is to say the game is positonless when that's not true

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 09:49:38 AM »
Ponds should be the PG from here on out, even if twinkle toes Lovett comes back. Would work out better in the long run for the program and him individually.  This year is lost, get these guys better at the basics and work on their stuff during live games. Ponds should be asking for this, only way he makes the league is at the 1

Johnny23

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »
I meant Simon being more of a facilitator in the halfcourt offense to drive to the hoop and dish or kick it out for an open look. This is where he can use his size and athletic advantage over most. Again comes back to Mullin designing plays in the halfcourt for him, Ponds, and Lovett to get to the hole. This team needs to get to the basket more. 5 guys standing on the perimeter isn't going to win unless you're Golden State.