Inadvertent whistles

• 14 replies
Inadvertent whistles
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:52:13 AM »
I hope the rule challenged on this fan site and in the boardroom at the Big East conference office took note of the yet another inadvertent whistle yesterday. For those counting at home, that's two in only three BE contests. Highly unusual as inadvertent whistles are usually as rare as St. John's Ncaa tournament wins or local sightings of the Northern Lapwing.

We saw again that IW's are not only when the ref. suddenly develops Tourette's syndrome and starts blowing the whistle uncontrollably or is trying to hold in gas and it's instead egested involuntarily through the mouth. Although it is that too.

This better crew than the one in New Jersey, did not shy away from it and properly applied it to rectify their error. Refreshing.

Re: Inadvertent whistles
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 09:56:58 AM »
Right call but why were they allowed to change this one?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
Ref blew an IW. You go back to the point of interruption when the whistle blew which was Georgetown possession in the backcourt.

Johnny23

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »
That was an easy one. G'town guard clearly never had possession and when he recovered the ball in the backcourt the whistle blew. After refs gathered and reviewed, they correctly gave the ball back to G'town.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
Seemed like an error in judgement to me
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 11:59:53 PM »
Seemed like an error in judgement to me

Good one.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:49:16 AM »
That was an easy one. G'town guard clearly never had possession and when he recovered the ball in the backcourt the whistle blew. After refs gathered and reviewed, they correctly gave the ball back to G'town.

Refs got it right, but the rule just sucks in that situation.  If it goes out of bounds, they wouldn't give it to Georgetown, so why should this be any different?

I understand the possession thing if, say, a defender was battling for it, and it went in the backcourt, but that's not what happened here..

So yes, it was the right call, but a bad rule for that particular play, IMO.

Johnny23

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 11:03:09 AM »
Refs got it right, but the rule just sucks in that situation.  If it goes out of bounds, they wouldn't give it to Georgetown, so why should this be any different?

I understand the possession thing if, say, a defender was battling for it, and it went in the backcourt, but that's not what happened here..

So yes, it was the right call, but a bad rule for that particular play, IMO.

The rule is kind of dumb, no question.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:11:33 AM »
The rule is kind of dumb, no question.

Not dumb. 

A team is allowed to throw an inbounds pass from the front court into the back court. Having the pass merely deflect off a teammate into the back court with no possession doesn't and shouldn't negate that.

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »
Not dumb. 

A team is allowed to throw an inbounds pass from the front court into the back court. Having the pass merely deflect off a teammate into the back court with no possession doesn't and shouldn't negate that.

I don't know. I'm kind of torn on that one.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 12:40:40 PM »
Not dumb. 

Not sure I like the fact that you can throw it in the backcourt off the inbound either, FWIW.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 02:00:22 PM »
Not sure I like the fact that you can throw it in the backcourt off the inbound either, FWIW.

Well then what we're talking about are major sport changing rule changes of the magnitude of the shot clock and three point shot.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 10:56:54 PM »
Xavier inbounding the ball with 2 seconds left in the 1st half against Butler and the clock never starts. The ref blows the play dead during a live ball a la Michael Stevens. Inadvertent whistles getting to be an epidemic.

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 12:32:10 AM »
Xavier inbounding the ball with 2 seconds left in the 1st half against Butler and the clock never starts. The ref blows the play dead during a live ball a la Michael Stevens. Inadvertent whistles getting to be an epidemic.

I was watching this in the background so I could be wrong but I believe he blew the whistle to signal the end of the half in lieu of the buzzer that should have sounded if the clock started properly.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 01:18:13 AM »
I was watching this in the background so I could be wrong but I believe he blew the whistle to signal the end of the half in lieu of the buzzer that should have sounded if the clock started properly.

That's what I thought too but then Xavier was given the ball to inbound on the sideline with .5 seconds remaining.  So, I think it must have been an IW. 

I'm wondering if these Ncaa refs are told to not wait till the dead ball to adjust timing issues if they fear the period will end before they can do so?