Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)

• 251 replies
Re: Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)
« Reply #240 on: December 05, 2018, 04:22:33 PM »
I'm guilty of having my point lost as well. I feel through "blind loyalty" the staff doesn't get criticized for things they should be held accountable for and end up taking the extreme position. Like I have said, I want Mullin to succeed. Although I may rarely say it, it would be ignorant of me to think that Mullin and staff has zero positive impact on the team. That is not the message I'm trying to send.     

Did we just become best friends?

Foad

« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2018, 04:36:49 PM »
The competition element is key. Your comparing Simon's numbers so far this year while looking at the totality of last years numbers which includes BE play. You should expect the numbers to come down once the level of competition increases, and vise versa. There is some speculation on my part, but I'm anticipating his numbers to come down even more once BE play starts. After the first 7 games of the season last year, Simon was averaging 33.9 mpg, 8.7 rpg, 2.86 spg, and 1.1 bpg. So far this year, 32.4 mpg, 5.7 rpg, 1.6 spg, and 0.4 bpg.

In 1.5 fewer minutes that's:
-3.00 rpg
-1.3 spg
-0.7 bpg

I believe that's significant. It could all change in a couple of months and my assumptions could be proven false and I will have egg on my face, but right now, the numbers don't lie.

Do you honestly believe that Simon's numbers have (and will) come down because he has regressed as a player - meaning that he has become a worse basketball player - and that that regression is the fault of the staff? Because I think his role has changed and that he's accepted that change and that that's a credit both to Simon and to the staff.

SJUFAN

« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2018, 05:32:58 PM »
Do you honestly believe that Simon's numbers have (and will) come down because he has regressed as a player - meaning that he has become a worse basketball player - and that that regression is the fault of the staff? Because I think his role has changed and that he's accepted that change and that's a credit both to Simon and to the staff.

You touched on something that I've been pondering. I believe Simon is at his ceiling, and his numbers are more indicative of a change in his role than him regressing. If you compare his offensive numbers 7 games in last year, he is pretty much in line with those numbers, FG% and PPG. Where I see the impact is APG going down from 5.7 pg to 2.9 pg and TO pg going down from 2.4 to 1.6. Which all makes sense as he does not have the ball in his hands as much. But his role change shouldn't have impacted his presence on the defensive end as much as it has, especially with Keita out. They need his rebounding, shot blocking, and steals. That is effort. So maybe Simon hasn't accepted the change and that is were its showing. Time will tell. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:36:37 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2018, 11:08:33 PM »
I feel through "blind loyalty" the staff doesn't get criticized for things they should be held accountable for and end up taking the extreme position.       

Why do you feel it's important that the staff gets criticized?

Norm got 6 years and Hollywood got 5. Do you expect or feel it's right that the living legend get's less?

So what does the criticism accomplish if the whole world know's Chris is the man at least near term and nothing will change that?

SJUFAN

« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2018, 12:15:00 AM »
Why do you feel it's important that the staff gets criticized?

Norm got 6 years and Hollywood got 5. Do you expect or feel it's right that the living legend get's less?

So what does the criticism accomplish if the whole world know's Chris is the man at least near term and nothing will change that?

Why are you equating criticism with firing? I’m not calling for his head. There is nothing wrong with fair, honest, constructive feedback or criticism. In any job if there are areas of improvement you should expect to be informed of such. This is no different.

« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »
Why are you equating criticism with firing? I’m not calling for his head. There is nothing wrong with fair, honest, constructive feedback or criticism. In any job if there are areas of improvement you should expect to be informed of such. This is no different.

Fair enough.  Yet probably the criticism coach would consider constructive and pay attention to would come from the athletic director, sport supervisor or his own coaching staff.

Critics launched from fans on a message board are like spit into the wind.

Poison

« Reply #246 on: December 06, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
Did anyone point out that at the 10:37 mark in the second half the refs were not aware that Shamorie Ponds was supposed to be shooting the bonus instead of inbounding the ball?

It was quickly corrected before play started. Credit to the staff for recognizing it. Way to be alert.

Poison

« Reply #247 on: December 06, 2018, 10:44:13 PM »
You touched on something that I've been pondering. I believe Simon is at his ceiling, and his numbers are more indicative of a change in his role than him regressing. If you compare his offensive numbers 7 games in last year, he is pretty much in line with those numbers, FG% and PPG. Where I see the impact is APG going down from 5.7 pg to 2.9 pg and TO pg going down from 2.4 to 1.6. Which all makes sense as he does not have the ball in his hands as much. But his role change shouldn't have impacted his presence on the defensive end as much as it has, especially with Keita out. They need his rebounding, shot blocking, and steals. That is effort. So maybe Simon hasn't accepted the change and that is were its showing. Time will tell. 

Watch the last ten minutes of the Georgia Tech game and tell me Simon isn’t ready to play. He wasn’t sharp in the first half. Ten minutes to go Simon was terrific all over the court. We get that guy for 30 minutes, we’ll go deep in March.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:46:14 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #248 on: December 06, 2018, 11:35:30 PM »
Did anyone point out that at the 10:37 mark in the second half the refs were not aware that Shamorie Ponds was supposed to be shooting the bonus instead of inbounding the ball?

It was quickly corrected before play started. Credit to the staff for recognizing it. Way to be alert.

Yeah, I lost my voice screaming to the officials over that. We were all over it at the game and then chastised them.

« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2018, 01:12:16 AM »
Yeah, I lost my voice screaming to the officials over that. We were all over it at the game and then chastised them.

I'm glad you got to see a good game live.  You deserve it.

The refs get confused when you have fouls followed by double techs. 

« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2018, 12:28:30 PM »
I'm glad you got to see a good game live.  You deserve it.

The refs get confused when you have fouls followed by double techs. 

It really shouldn't have been that hard.  The personal was team foul #7, and the tech team foul #8.

« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2018, 03:04:03 PM »
It really shouldn't have been that hard.  The personal was team foul #7, and the tech team foul #8.

True.  But they went to the tape for a lengthy review which isn't the norm. Then forgot coming out of it.