Most Intriguing St. John's Final 4 Story Line this Year

• 19 replies
Most Intriguing St. John's Final 4 Story Line this Year
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:03:14 AM »
What are you guys thoughts? We strangely were connected to 3 out of the 4 teams this year lol.

-Owens to Texas Tech and now in championship
-Heron transferring from Auburn to here
-Samir Doughty (former St. John's recruit) committing "foul" to keep Auburn out of championship
-Clark transferring from Michigan State to here
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:04:47 AM by friendofjohnnie »

Re: Most Intriguing St. John's Final 4 Story Line this Year
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 06:12:30 AM »
That’s the closest we’ll ever come to a national championship game under this administration. Looking forward to next year’s cupcake ooc followed by underachievement in the Big East.

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:01:17 AM »
These are the kind of connections that make you realize how much of a dumpster fire this program is.

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:55:50 AM »
That’s the closest we’ll ever come to a national championship game under this administration. Looking forward to next year’s cupcake ooc followed by underachievement in the Big East.
Next year won’t be a cupcake. West Virginia is coming to the garden. Playing Arizona in San Francisco. Possible playing Virginia at Foxwoods.
That’s all I know of. Could be more. AD wants 2 Out if conference games at garden.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
What are you guys thoughts? We strangely were connected to 3 out of the 4 teams this year lol.

-Owens to Texas Tech and now in championship
-Heron transferring from Auburn to here
-Samir Doughty (former St. John's recruit) committing "foul" to keep Auburn out of championship
-Clark transferring from Michigan State to here

Clark would’ve graduated last year if he stayed at Michigan state.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 08:48:38 AM »
I don't think there could be less of a story than Heron and Clark. Two guys that were not missed. Not for a second. Losing Owens killed whatever chance we had to overcome Mullin's shortcomings with talent.

But I guess that's all cool, because we have Keita now, and that name can only mean wonderful things for St.John's.

TONYD3

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »
I don't think there could be less of a story than Heron and Clark. Two guys that were not missed. Not for a second. Losing Owens killed whatever chance we had to overcome Mullin's shortcomings with talent.

But I guess that's all cool, because we have Keita now, and that name can only mean wonderful things for St.John's.
Dont think Owens would have changed much for us. The guy that played Saturday night was not the guy who played here. He got so much better. He was quicker and stronger.
Keita wasnt great. But he wasn’t Tomas J either. Hopefully next staff can get something out of him

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
Dont think Owens would have changed much for us.

This sentence alone sums up the fact that you have zero understanding of basketball.

Losing Owens killed this team for the the season. The teams biggest issue was front court depth and if they had him; it's not the massive issue it was.

St. John's was a legit Top 20 teams all year if Owens was here.

Now you can go back to your endless complaining about the Coach.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:24:24 AM by pmg911 »

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »
Dont think Owens would have changed much for us. The guy that played Saturday night was not the guy who played here. He got so much better. He was quicker and stronger.
Keita wasnt great. But he wasn’t Tomas J either. Hopefully next staff can get something out of him

Owens wouldn’t have changed much? Really? How many of the losses were due to having no inside presence?
By my count all of them except Butler and Duke. Not that we would have won all those but come on.

As noted earlier, Clark would’ve already graduated.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:23:57 AM by survivedc »

SJUFAN

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
The teams biggest issue was front court depth and if they had him; it's not the massive issue it was.

We went 4-14 in BE play last year with Owens. Sure we would have been better, but the staff has yet to demonstrate they can get the most out of the talent they have. The teams biggest issue was coaching.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:59:56 AM by SJUFAN »

Johnny23

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 12:18:42 PM »
Watch the games before making false projections. Owens would've helped this team sure, but to say definitively that we are a top 20 team with him is BS. You have no way of knowing this. However what we do know is that this coaching is not getting it done.

The real issue is the lack of coaching, and as a result, stunted player development. Owens was smart enough to see this and move to a much better coached program where he has been able to flourish.

Great move by him and his parents.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2019, 12:55:17 PM »
Coaching and Owens would have definitely won us more more games. Owens, on a few fronts. The obvious is that he is a good player and gives us the inside presence we sorely lacked.

A couple other reasons that are overlooked is (1) game-planning and (2) depth. In terms of game-planning, other teams would have had to respect him and perhaps we could have gotten more favorable matchups for the guards and other players in sets we ran. If the other team does not need to be concerned about that- take care of Shamorie or Heron and game over. LJ would have done even done better if the load was taken a bit off of him.

With depth, the fouling issues we had could have been minimized a bit if we had another solid body like Owens getting minutes. More flexibility to substitute players in and out and keep them fresh. We all have to realize in addition to horrid Xs and Os coaching, the team was burnt out at end of season.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 12:56:10 PM by friendofjohnnie »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 01:04:53 PM »
That the AD had to come out with a statement that Mullin is still the coach, despite the fact that he is still has two more years left on his contract. There is anticipation that something bigger than the announcement of an Assistant Coach will be announced after the championship game.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 01:06:21 PM »
Tariq and his father undoubtedly made the correct choice in transferring. Tariq was a solid player here but the coaching (or lack thereof) prevented him from being the best he could be. Which is, an overall top 50 player in the country.

It's sad, but true, and further proof that we either need to move on from Mullin, or get assistant coaches who can make players better and get them to live up to their potential.

I do think we likely would have been around a 7 seed with Owen's this year.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:07:26 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »
Luther Muhammed - Ohio State

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 07:22:58 PM »
This sentence alone sums up the fact that you have zero understanding of basketball.

Losing Owens killed this team for the the season. The teams biggest issue was front court depth and if they had him; it's not the massive issue it was.

Now you can go back to your endless complaining about the Coach.
No it doesn’t. This guy left the team because your hero sucks. He went to a different school and got better. If he stayed here with your worthless God he would have had a disappointing 7th place season surrounded by 4 and 5 star recruits.
Instead he went and played for a real staff and Owens and other 2/3 star players are playing for the national championship.

I am not complaining about your lazy hero. For 4 years all I have done is told you he isn’t a coach and they would never win with him. YOU have made countless excuses for this lazy man. I hope he quits. If not. It will only get worse.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 07:25:09 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 07:55:38 PM »
No it doesn’t. This guy left the team because your hero sucks. He went to a different school and got better. If he stayed here with your worthless God he would have had a disappointing 7th place season surrounded by 4 and 5 star recruits.
Instead he went and played for a real staff and Owens and other 2/3 star players are playing for the national championship.

I am not complaining about your lazy hero. For 4 years all I have done is told you he isn’t a coach and they would never win with him. YOU have made countless excuses for this lazy man. I hope he quits. If not. It will only get worse.

2 things:
You think this is the exact same team/record with Owens? 1 game was the difference between 3rd and 7th.
What do you mean by “never win?”

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 08:06:58 PM »
2 things:
You think this is the exact same team/record with Owens? 1 game was the difference between 3rd and 7th.
What do you mean by “never win?”
You watched the team. From December 29th until the end their record was under .500. Besides a few games they played bad basketball. When it counted they didn’t show up. This team shouldn’t have been swept by Xavier, providence, and DePaul.
Last season is over. How does a team not have 1 PG on their roster? How is Mitch Richmond still employed? What has lazy ass done to replace Matt?
One question for you. Do you want to win?
Is the record the same with Tariq? Yes I think it’s the same. Not bad luck this guy loses.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:08:19 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 10:18:25 PM »
You watched the team. From December 29th until the end their record was under .500. Besides a few games they played bad basketball. When it counted they didn’t show up. This team shouldn’t have been swept by Xavier, providence, and DePaul.
Last season is over. How does a team not have 1 PG on their roster? How is Mitch Richmond still employed? What has lazy ass done to replace Matt?
Is the record the same with Tariq? Yes I think it’s the same. Not bad luck this guy loses.

If you think it’s the same record with a legit player at the one position we didn’t have one then we have nothing else to talk about.

You’ve had a lot of dumb opinions but this takes the cake.

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 10:34:34 PM »
Tony I'm with you on many of your concerns and criticisms, as much as I adore Mully and will ALWAYS adore Mully.  But saying we wouldn't have been several games better with Owens is just ignoring reality.  Taking the weakest part of our team by a huge margin and supplementing it with one of the best defensive players in college and perhaps the best rim protector.  Add a few W's and it's a completely different season.  What could have been...