Francis Scott Key

• 13 replies
Francis Scott Key
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »
I've got a good idea for growing the fan culture at Alumni Hall.

We should borrow from the Red Bulls what they do during the National anthem.  When the singer sings "and the rockets RED glare" the entire crowd loudly yells out the "RED" in unison.  It's pretty powerful and effective and fun. Not many teams have red in their team names.  It's a natural.

This would be a nice addition to the turning our backs on the opposing team during their introductions and yelling "sucks" after each player is announced.  Which is pretty much all we got.

I'm sure it would take the student sections behind the baskets to get it going.  Perhaps  the guy with the red suit and beard is a JJ reader.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 12:03:34 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Re: Francis Scott Key
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 01:09:32 AM »
First kneeling and now this??
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:09:44 AM by survivedc »

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »

We should borrow from the Red Bulls what they do during the National anthem.  When the singer sings "and the rockets RED glare" the entire crowd loudly yells out the "RED" in unison.  It's pretty powerful and effective and fun. Not many teams have red in their team names.  It's a natural.

This would be a nice addition to the turning our backs on the opposing team during their introductions and yelling "sucks" after each player is announced.  Which is pretty much all we got.

I'm sure it would take the student sections behind the baskets to get it going.  Perhaps  the guy with the red suit and beard is a JJ reader.

That's not something the Red Bull invented.

Baltimore Orioles fans have been doing something like that for years.  The scream "O" at O say does that star spangled banner, etc.

My position has always been the same.  If they stopped playing the national anthem at games tomorrow, I would go to just as many games as I go to now (FTR, I don't miss an SJU home game).

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »
It's a good suggestion if it replaces Joe Blow "sucks" which is coarse, ignorant,  classless and not representative of StJ  IMO. I have a long memory. I remember when Columbia U. had a competitively fine team and came to our place. They might even had won, they were that good. With each foul call against the Lion team, their fans yelled "bulls#!t". Thankfully, they have since never been in Alumni/Carnesecca hall to my knowledge. Good riddance. sportsmanship is a learned skill for people who are capable of learning.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:06:47 PM »
That's not something the Red Bull invented.

Baltimore Orioles fans have been doing something like that for years.  The scream "O" at O say does that star spangled banner, etc.

My position has always been the same.  If they stopped playing the national anthem at games tomorrow, I would go to just as many games as I go to now (FTR, I don't miss an SJU home game).

Washington Capitals fans also do RED during the anthem. Nationals fans have recently added RED as well (they both wear red), which as an O’s fan I find cute—when the two teams play the O is defeanening and the Red is weak by comparison.

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »

The turning the back and yelling "sucks" wasn't even original, other schools did that long before St. John's. I'd hope the students can find something original and run with that.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 03:31:10 PM »
I would like to add this to what we already have. Not subtract anything.

The Atlanta Braves have done "and the home of the BRAVES" forever.  I like it. We might as well get some use out of the crappy Red Storm name.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 04:18:27 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 04:20:54 PM »
Wow I cant believe this many people disrespect the anthem.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:42:10 PM »
What happened to flag boy? He had school spirit and was a patriot.
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 09:53:31 PM »
It's a good suggestion if it replaces Joe Blow "sucks" which is coarse, ignorant,  classless and not representative of StJ  IMO. I have a long memory. I remember when Columbia U. had a competitively fine team and came to our place. They might even had won, they were that good. With each foul call against the Lion team, their fans yelled "bulls#!t". Thankfully, they have since never been in Alumni/Carnesecca hall to my knowledge. Good riddance. sportsmanship is a learned skill for people who are capable of learning.

We can’t expect Columbia students to be as classy as St.John’s fans.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 09:55:42 PM »
Wow I cant believe this many people disrespect the anthem.

I can’t tell if you’re joking.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:55:58 PM by Poison »

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 08:00:01 AM »
we should do our thing.  idea sounds cheesy.  sorry.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 05:10:35 PM »
we should do our thing.  idea sounds cheesy.  sorry.

We could make a real statement by not playing the song at all, and instead just playing basketball.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 05:57:02 PM »
I can’t tell if you’re joking.

7. Don’t talk during the anthem. If you’re talking, you’re not paying attention to the song and thus not showing respect for its meaning. And you’re interrupting those around you who are trying to show their respect.

https://www.mannersmentor.com/12-months-of-holidays/u-s-flag-pledge-of-allegiance-and-national-anthem-etiquette

Also I of course am joking. I think it's hilarious people yell and scream during the national anthem but piss themselves when someone wants to silently kneel. But that's another topic for another time, but also hopefully never.