John Warren

• 9 replies
John Warren
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:43:53 PM »
Researching Joe Depre running mate Carmine Calzonetti brought me to John Warren. He had 3 good to great seasons here (terrific stats) and a 5 year Nba career.

How come he's never mentioned here?
Who remembers him?

Have at it old timers.

redslope

Re: John Warren
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:47:48 PM »
Researching Joe Depre running mate Carmine Calzonetti brought me to John Warren. He had 3 good to great seasons here (terrific stats) and a 5 year Nba career.

Who remembers him?

Have at it old timers.
John was a good player but he and Billy Schaffer were also students in the school of business--both accounting majors and CPA's.  John's career included being a partner in a Big 4 firm.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »
As a fellow '69 graduate I attended most of John's home games at AH and MSG. A graduate of Far Rockaway he was Louie's recruits.  His numbers improved every year despite having to play up front against taller players. It wasn't until his senior year that played guard.  His production and effort never waivered. He was part of three NCAA teams and will be remembered as pivotal player when we beat the #2 team North Carolina and the #3 team Davidson in a span of ten days in 68-69 but fell short against # 1 UCLA.

Since I was a student at the Brooklyn Center contact with the student-athletes was rare but the we would sell close to a thousand tickets for the games. I was fortunate to meet John through his wife Rea who was an administrator at a neighboring  school in Queens. It was great seeing both of them and reminiscing when he was inducted into the Brooklyn Old-timer's a few years back.   

A true Redmen and NBA Champion with Knicks and one of my favorite all time players.

cjfish

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 02:50:54 PM »

Who remembers him?

Have at it old timers.

Depre and Warren were one of the top duos in SJU history second only to Mullin Berry and perhaps Dove McIntyre or Schaefer Davis.  Warren played small forward and had a great shot, Depre was offguard and also had the pure shot.  Both played great D and could penetrate.  The teams of the late 60s and early 70s were noted for D and lowscoring, Louie like to keep it around the high 50s, low 60s.  Ralph Abraham possibly the best defensive guy in that era.

redslope

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 06:49:02 PM »
Part of the low scoring had to do with not having a shot clock-  teams could control the ball until they got the "perfect" shot.  This kept scoring down.  North Carolina used a :four corner" offense which would pick and probe looking for the opening without worrying about the clock.

derk

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 10:42:49 AM »

Who remembers him?

Have at it old timers.

From a poor memory didn't he start out at Hawaii and then transfer. Real nice player 6'3. Remember him as a good not great shooter. Would've flourished in a more athletic offense but such is the curse of Louie C.

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
He was part of three NCAA teams and will be remembered as pivotal player when we beat the #2 team North Carolina and the #3 team Davidson in a span of ten days in 68-69 but fell short against # 1 UCLA.

St. John's lost to UCLA in NCAA  or regular season..?

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
St John's lost to number 1 UCLA in the Holiday Festival.  The Redmen beat a tough Michigan State...then number 2 North Carolina...before the UCLA game. 

This team had former Net Joe DePre...Knick John Warren...and long time NBAer Billy Paultz.  Carmine Calzonetti was the point guard...and he had an outstanding post college career as well.

redslope

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 01:22:26 PM »
After the UCLA game, the team went 15-2 and both losses were in O/T

derk

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »
From a poor memory didn't he start out at Hawaii and then transfer. Real nice player 6'3. Remember him as a good not great shooter. Would've flourished in a more athletic offense but such is the curse of Louie C.

My mistake. It was Reggie Carter who went to Hawaii .