What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?

• 118 replies

goredmen

Re: What is Chris Mullin’s coaching philosophy?
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
My current opinion. We could lose the game by 19 but don’t think Oddsmakers would have it anywhere near 19 at present.

Well, you're incorrect and this isn't really a matter of opinion. I'm telling you that the line would be around Duke -18 if the game was played right now. That's not an opinion. Duke was just 10 point favorites against a top 10 team on a neutral court. You think they'd only be favored by 3 more against a team outside the top 30 in Cameron?

The line could certainly move a handful of points between now and when the actual game is played, but right now it would be close to a 20 point line.

Duke's next game is home against Clemson on 1/5. Right now, Vegas would give Clemson 2-3 points more respect than they would give us. Let's see what the Duke/Clemson line is when it comes out.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:11:12 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »
Well, you're incorrect and this isn't really a matter of opinion. I'm telling you that the line would be around Duke -18 if the game was played right now. That's not an opinion. Duke was just 10 point favorites against a top 10 team on a neutral court. You think they'd only be favored by 3 more against a team outside the top 30 in Cameron?

The line could certainly move a handful of points between now and when the actual game is played, but right now it would be close to a 20 point line.

Duke's next game is home against Clemson on 1/5. Right now, Vegas would give Clemson 2-3 points more respect than they would give us. Let's see what the Duke/Clemson line is when it comes out.

This is a serious question because you seem to be familiar with lines making. Do you think they take into account duke at msg vs duke at a different neutral court? It’s is basically their second home court and TT was coming from well a lot further away.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
This is a serious question because you seem to be familiar with lines making. Do you think they take into account duke at msg vs duke at a different neutral court? It’s is basically their second home court and TT was coming from well a lot further away.

No, MSG is a true neutral for Duke. Duke plays one game a year at MSG so not really a second home for them.

The Duke/TTU line actually opened at Duke -7.5 and quickly got bet up to 10. That's been happening frequently with Duke games lately. The opening line has been getting bet up in their games for the past few weeks. If anything, the line will over-adjust to force action on their opponents going forward.

Marillac

« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2018, 07:51:10 PM »
Another serious question...do you understand the difference between the opening line and where it ends?

This whole time I thought we were discussing the opening line that Vegas sets. -7.5 was exactly where I would expect Duke-Texas Tech to open at Duke's home away from home, MSG.

Texas Tech doesn't travel and doesn't have 1/50th the fan support in NYC that Duke has. Texas Tech had a 1/4 of the fans St. John's did in Miami! Duke is a sellout or close to it whenever they go to the Garden. The attendance from the game was under 11,000 and I'd bet anything it was less than 10% Tech fans.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:51:43 PM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »
Another serious question...do you understand the difference between the opening line and where it ends?

Do you realize a 2.5 point swing from opening line to closing line is HUGE and extremely rare? Very very few games move more than a point.

You have already proven you know absolutely about point spreads and how they work so please stop pretending that you do. Thinking Duke would only be -8.5 against us is still among the dumbest things ever posted here. It's a shame you weren't man enough to stand by that number, but not surprising that you backed down when pressured

« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2018, 08:51:31 PM »

Guess we will see. I spoke to a guy who takes action and his estimate is 11-15.
Most recent comparable is Indiana which was 15.  Common opponent Princeton was 28. We were 12. So number may be somewhere in between.

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2018, 08:51:51 PM »
Do you realize a 2.5 point swing from opening line to closing line is HUGE and extremely rare? Very very few games move more than a point.

You have already proven you know absolutely about point spreads and how they work so please stop pretending that you do. Thinking Duke would only be -8.5 against us is still among the dumbest things ever posted here. It's a shame you weren't man enough to stand by that number, but not surprising that you backed down when pressured

Lol so it is weakness in your eyes to admit when someone is out of their depth?! You sound impossibly stubborn.

I paid my way throgh grad school and part of law school in cash from sports betting and poker. I haven't been eye-f*cking spreads for Duke this year like you or paying attention to lines for several years.  That doesn't mean I'm some novice. I stopped betting because I was up for too long and that ALWAYS turns around.

Mcgregor opened as a huge underdog against Floyd and nice persons bet so much on McGregor it moved the line down to McGregor +300!!!! In a sport he never participated in professionally. Duke is 8-4 against the spread this year. Never underestimate how much Duke basketball and Notre Dame Football wil be overestimated by the public at large.

Marillac

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2018, 08:58:23 PM »
Most recent comparable is Indiana which was 15.  Common opponent Princeton was 28. We were 12. So number may be somewhere in between.

If he would have posted 11-15 I wouldn't have replied.  But 20 to open!!!! We're 12-0 and beat them last season.

goredmen

« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2018, 09:07:41 PM »

Yes exactly, Indiana was 15. We have less respect than Indiana in Vegas' eyes right now and Duke has only gained betting equity since then. So if Indiana was 15, we're not as respected as them and Duke lines will only skew towards them more then how are we going to be less than that number?

goredmen

« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
If he would have posted 11-15 I wouldn't have replied.  But 20 to open!!!! We're 12-0 and beat them last season.

The two things you cited, our record and last year's result mean absolutely ZERO to what the line would be.

Guys who have huge liabilities to bad spreads aren't fooled by our 12-0 record. In fact nobody is. That's why we'll be about 18 point dogs to Duke and why we'll be small underdogs against 9-3 Seton Hall next week.

How does beating them last year matter one iota to what the point spread would be this year when they pretty much have a completely new team. Let's look at Duke's players this year and see how many minutes they played in the game vs St. John's last year:

Zion Williamson - 0 Minutes
RJ Barrett - 0 Minutes
Cam Reddish - 0 Minutes
Tre Jones - 0 Minutes
Jack White - 8 Minutes
Marques Bolden - 10 Minutes
Javin DeLaurier - 2 Minutes
Alex O'Connell - 0 Minutes

So current Duke players played 10% of the minutes against us last year, yet somehow the result that game should matter when determining the spread for this year's game. That is idiocy in it's purest form folks.

It really is amazing how you say something dumber with each passing post. I have to tip my hat to you there
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 09:16:32 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2018, 09:21:32 PM »
Yes exactly, Indiana was 15. We have less respect than Indiana in Vegas' eyes right now and Duke has only gained betting equity since then. So if Indiana was 15, we're not as respected as them and Duke lines will only skew towards them more then how are we going to be less than that number?
Guess we just disagree. I still don’t see it at 18.

goredmen

« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2018, 09:26:08 PM »
Guess we just disagree. I still don’t see it at 18.

We'll find out soon enough

SJUFAN

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2018, 09:35:03 PM »
That is idiocy in it's purest form folks.

It really is amazing how you say something dumber with each passing post. I have to tip my hat to you there

LOL...

cjfish

« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2018, 09:50:57 PM »
The two things you cited, our record and last year's result mean absolutely ZERO to what the line would be.

Guys who have huge liabilities to bad spreads aren't fooled by our 12-0 record. In fact nobody is. That's why we'll be about 18 point dogs to Duke and why we'll be small underdogs against 9-3 Seton Hall next week.

How does beating them last year matter one iota to what the point spread would be this year when they pretty much have a completely new team. Let's look at Duke's players this year and see how many minutes they played in the game vs St. John's last year:

Zion Williamson - 0 Minutes
RJ Barrett - 0 Minutes
Cam Reddish - 0 Minutes
Tre Jones - 0 Minutes
Jack White - 8 Minutes
Marques Bolden - 10 Minutes
Javin DeLaurier - 2 Minutes
Alex O'Connell - 0 Minutes

So current Duke players played 10% of the minutes against us last year, yet somehow the result that game should matter when determining the spread for this year's game. That is idiocy in it's purest form folks.

Duke Freshmen are not playing good D.  Our unusual quick small team should give them fits and Ponds will own anyone who plays him.....his tricky small guy moves are impossible to defend one on one.  We have a 25% chance of winning and I think the probable losing spread is under 10.

goredmen

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2018, 09:59:33 PM »

Duke Freshmen are not playing good D.  Our unusual quick small team should give them fits and Ponds will own anyone who plays him.....his tricky small guy moves are impossible to defend one on one.  We have a 25% chance of winning and I think the probable losing spread is under 10.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to actually handicap the game here. Maybe we'll play them close, maybe we'll be down 25 at half, I wouldn't be surprised either way honestly.

I've simply stated that as of right now Duke would be favored by upwards of 20 points against us at Cameron. One poster claims that number is too big partly because we beat them last year and I provided some reasoning as to why that is one of the dumbest things uttered in human history which might be only a little hyperbole.

« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2018, 11:03:17 PM »
Who gives a F*^%?

Marillac

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »
Just for the record, I'm not trying to actually handicap the game here. Maybe we'll play them close, maybe we'll be down 25 at half, I wouldn't be surprised either way honestly.

I've simply stated that as of right now Duke would be favored by upwards of 20 points against us at Cameron. One poster claims that number is too big partly because we beat them last year and I provided some reasoning as to why that is one of the dumbest things uttered in human history which might be only a little hyperbole.

https://youtu.be/moSFlvxnbgk

SJUFAN

« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2019, 07:31:03 PM »
You're just wrong. If that's what you see, you don't know basketball well. 

These guys have a checklist of reads to make and options depending on the type of defense and where they are on the floor. This is no different than on the NBA. It's also a big reason why we have so much more room to grow than more structured teams.

You were saying?