Game 30: @DePaul (Noon FS1)

• 110 replies
Re: Game 30: @DePaul (Noon FS1)
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2019, 01:05:02 AM »
My friend said it best when he texted me after the game.

"They'll get what they deserve"

Never been more zen after that. It sucks but it is what it is why am I going to let them ruin my week?

« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2019, 01:17:08 AM »
Carmine,
You seem like a great guy. Never wanted to be on your bad side. I know you loved this guy 35 years ago. But are you watching?

You're not on my bad side. Everything on here is only words. Nobody gets hurt. You're obviously free to post when and what you like. I'm just busting your chops a little.

True, I loved this guy 35 years ago as I do today. He's my favorite basketball player ever.

I chime in here following both wins and losses.  It gives me instant credibility as a poster and true fan.  You should try it.

Poison

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »
You're not on my bad side. Everything on here is only words. Nobody gets hurt. You're obviously free to post when and what you like. I'm just busting your chops a little.

True, I loved this guy 35 years ago as I do today. He's my favorite basketball player ever.

I chime in here following both wins and losses.  It gives me instant credibility as a poster and true fan.  You should try it.

We all loved him as a player, but isn’t this like finding out your dad can’t read?

He’s not a leader. He’s proven that. They need a coach with a plan for every opponent.

SJUFAN

« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2019, 11:40:09 AM »
People calling for Mullin’s job are off base as usual. There has been a clear undeniable progression and we are finally on the verge of a balanced roster, both from a skill set/position standpoint as well as player class standpoint. Let this season and next playout.

At what point does it become the coaching? Look at our staff, who is going to develop the players? Who is going to install a defense? Who is going to demand that we rebound and defend? Not just say it, but devote practice time to it.

Things are not just going to improve. The issue appears to be philosophical, roster balance won’t cure that.

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2019, 11:54:32 AM »
At what point does it become the coaching? Look at our staff, who is going to develop the players? Who is going to install a defense? Who is going to demand that we rebound and defend? Not just say it, but devote practice time to it.

Things are not just going to improve. The issue appears to be philosophical, roster balance won’t cure that.

But players have been and are being developed. All 3 freshman have visibly improved within this year, and that’s just an easy short term example.

I highly doubt they don’t work on and drill defense and rebounding in practice. It was clearly a problem on Sunday but was also a huge advantage in Marquette and Nova wins. What roster imbalance will fix is not having a guy like Marvin down low trying to stop centers and picking up fouls. Having a big guy down there that won’t foul so much and allow perimeter guys to take more chances would be huge. Not bringing in Femi or someone similar is on the staff and is holding this years team back, but I think they know that based on who we have committed for next year.

« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
We all loved him as a player, but isn’t this like finding out your dad can’t read?

He’s not a leader. He’s proven that. They need a coach with a plan for every opponent.

Like all other truly great sports minds, evaluators and prognosticators, I resist drawing blanket conclusions about coaches when they are in the midst of their season.

Have you ever had the pleasure of reading one of our games threads and the embarrassing, ridiculous posts people write about players and staff in the first half of our biggest and most thrilling victories?

It would be the same as doing that - just on a larger scale.

If you or anybody else is interested ( I bet they're not ), I would be happy to evaluate the staff at the appropriate time. Which would be at the seasons conclusion.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:26:43 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2019, 04:39:33 PM »
isn’t this like finding out your dad can’t read?

Don’t let those silly fears keep you from having kids.

TONYD3

« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
Like all other truly great sports minds, evaluators and prognosticators, I resist drawing blanket conclusions about coaches when they are in the midst of their season.

Have you ever had the pleasure of reading one of our games threads and the embarrassing, ridiculous posts people write about players and staff in the first half of our biggest and most thrilling victories?

It would be the same as doing that - just on a larger scale.

If you or anybody else is interested ( I bet they're not ), I would be happy to evaluate the staff at the appropriate time. Which would be at the seasons conclusion.

No way you evaluate him fairly. Maybe if he was evaluated fairly from the beginning he wouldn’t be as bad as he is now.
Staff change should have been forced upon him. No passes should have Been given. Their should have been an offensive system and defensively system. Losing games 98-56 should have sent out red flags. Fans and the school let this novice do as he pleased, working hard or smart was not part of anyone’s expectation.
 The lackadaisical way the staff recruited should have been corrected. Transfer U was a just a band aid. And a few lucky players Masked the fact this staff was lazy and incompetent.
Roster turnover is part of college basketball, not to this extent. Lovett, ownes, Dixon , and yawkwe. RIDICULOUS!

Year 4 in a complete rebuild- a bad team like Xavier is a terrible matchup. That is reality. No spin there. Xavier, DePaul, and providence are 3 of the least talented teams in conference. They dominated us.
Our finess team won a few games. 3/4 last 2 years vs Marquette. That is impressive. Do you remember the loss last year? Marquette played a soft HS zone and dominated. What has been changed or adjusted to handle a zone better this year?
Butler played Xavier last night. They weren’t embrassed rebounding, how come? How many times in 4 years have we gotten killed on the boards?

8-10 since that pathetic non conference. Nothing to brag about. Nothing that will be built on either. 1 guy is graduating, no one is going to the NBA, who else is leaving?
Fans of Chris Mullin on Twitter are sending pictures of other teams attacking a 2-3 zone. Asking her to show this to her husband.
Often after a humiliating defeat. The fans who not only spend money and time on this terrible team are called names becuse they have the audacity to question number 20.
The beat reporter is mocked, just becuse after 4 years of losing he finally wrote something bad about the coach.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:50:02 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »
No way you evaluate him fairly. Maybe if he was evaluated fairly from the beginning he wouldn’t be as bad as he is now.
Staff change should have been forced upon him. No passes should have Been given. Their should have been an offensive system and defensively system. Losing games 98-56 should have sent out red flags. Fans and the school let this novice do as he pleased, working hard or smart was not part of anyone’s expectation.
 The lackadaisical way the staff recruited should have been corrected. Transfer U was a just a band aid. And a few lucky players Masked the fact this staff was lazy and incompetent.
Roster turnover is part of college basketball, not to this extent. Lovett, ownes, Dixon , and yawkwe. RIDICULOUS!

Year 4 in a complete rebuild- a bad team like Xavier is a terrible matchup. That is reality. No spin there. Xavier, DePaul, and providence are 3 of the least talented teams in conference. They dominated us.
Our finess team won a few games. 3/4 last 2 years vs Marquette. That is impressive. Do you remember the loss last year? Marquette played a soft HS zone and dominated. What has been changed or adjusted to handle a zone better this year?
Butler played Xavier last night. They weren’t embrassed rebounding, how come? How many times in 4 years have we gotten killed on the boards?

8-10 since that pathetic non conference. Nothing to brag about. Nothing that will be built on either. 1 guy is graduating, no one is going to the NBA, who else is leaving?
Fans of Chris Mullin on Twitter are sending pictures of other teams attacking a 2-3 zone. Asking her to show this to her husband.
Often after a humiliating defeat. The fans who not only spend money and time on this terrible team are called names becuse they have the audacity to question number 20.
The beat reporter is mocked, just becuse after 4 years of losing he finally wrote something bad about the coach.

I noticed you edited the post, but still left incomplete sentences, misspellings galore, and horrible grammar. You spelled 'because' as 'becuse' in back to back sentences.

I'm going to go ahead and chalk this up to dirty thumbs on the toilet. Remember Tony, TP is your friend.

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2019, 02:37:27 AM »
No way you evaluate him fairly. 

No way you evaluate my evaluation fairly before you've even read it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:48:17 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2019, 05:43:40 AM »
I just want to know what you mean by “nothing to build on.” You say a lot of crazy things but that is just absurd.