Johnnies on ESPNU

• 24 replies

derk

Re: Johnnies on ESPNU
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
Have a quick question- if Felipe lived up to national expectations and was Jordanesque do you think that would have changed the direction of the program and kept us a top tier name longer? Would it have brought more legendary type players that went elsewhere come here or at the very least be a permanent stream of great income for our program? 

Something the school could always market- no one sells Felipe, all they sell is Mullin- not even really Moe or Mark Jackson or even Artest. But if you had a "Jordan" maybe things would have been different for us.......

In a word ... Yes

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 03:16:55 PM »
Player didn't come on staff until Jarvis took over, and those guys that you mentioned were all Fran's recruits, so that does not line up.

That's correct.

That being said, Player was connected.

Again, correct.  Player played a very promiment role in the Johnnies landing Omar Cook, Kyle Cuffe, Willie Shaw AND Darius Miles.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
Alumnus Dermon Player on staff was our major inlet as well. Helped land Artest, Jessie, Barkley, Glover. Lorch turned out to involved in abuse scandals w Riverside. Dodged a PR bullet w that connection ending. Player now back @Riverside.

https://nypost.com/2004/04/16/storm-aide-evans-moves-on/

Another big blow to city connections is when Alex Evans left the program in 2004. That was right as the Jarvis/Clark to Norm transition was happening. Nothing has changed w the cities elites since sans Shamorie. Norm's attempts at the Lance Stephenson's and Sylvan Landesberg are now the Cole Anthony and Kofi Cockburn's of the world. Let's hope that we can hire the right people with the right connections to get us back to where we need to be within the major NYC inroads.

To be honest we have had some good NY talent lately- Moe, Shamorie, I guess you can count Obekpa. We whiffed or did not even contend, however, for others Isiah Whitehead (although cannot blame staff for not wanting to be hostage for a coach) and Cole Anthony.

But still I do not think we need to overemphasize getting the top NY players anymore. If we get them, we get them if we do not, we do not. Recruiting has taken on a national flavor and I do not care if our team's starters are all out of state or out of northeast just as long as we WIN. Good NY players and many others prep now anyway so the hometown advantage can be lost. While I am glad to see Mike A make some good NY connections, by no means should recruiting here make or break him. They are an added benefit not essential.

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 03:35:47 PM »
But still I do not think we need to overemphasize getting the top NY players anymore. If we get them, we get them if we do not, we do not. Recruiting has taken on a national flavor and I do not care if our team's starters are all out of state or out of northeast just as long as we WIN.

I've said this for several years.

QuanMan

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 03:48:04 PM »
To be honest we have had some good NY talent lately- Moe, Shamorie, I guess you can count Obekpa. We whiffed or did not even contend, however, for others Isiah Whitehead (although cannot blame staff for not wanting to be hostage for a coach) and Cole Anthony.

But still I do not think we need to overemphasize getting the top NY players anymore. If we get them, we get them if we do not, we do not. Recruiting has taken on a national flavor and I do not care if our team's starters are all out of state or out of northeast just as long as we WIN. Good NY players and many others prep now anyway so the hometown advantage can be lost. While I am glad to see Mike A make some good NY connections, by no means should recruiting here make or break him. They are an added benefit not essential.

Didn't list Moe there my bust.
Section 3
Section 116