Basketball Old Timers Of America

• 3 replies
Basketball Old Timers Of America
« on: April 20, 2019, 10:06:01 AM »
The dinner is Friday-May3th at Sirico's-8023 13th Avenue-Brooklyn. Cocktails at 6:00pm-Dinner at 7:00pm. 2019 Inductees:Fran Fraschilla-Mel Utley-Tim Higgins-John Engles. Tickets $125 payable at the door. Hoping for a large St. John's turn out. Maybe meet the new coach and see old friends and make new ones. Paultz please get this out on the other site.

redslope

Re: Basketball Old Timers Of America
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing the info.  I have attended a number of these with friends from various B/Q Catholic HS and it is like a reunion (although my numbers are dwindling).  I regret that I'll be out of town for this one because Timmy Higgins is being inducted.  In the day, I used to get all over the "Pillsbury Doughboy" when he reffed SJU games.  My wife used to get embarrassed and would try to calm me down but Timmy brought out the worst in me.  My favorite chant was "Higgins you bum" and one time at the Garden he looked at me in the stands and my wife was going OH NO--you're going to be thrown out and SJU was going to be "T-ed".  Like I always said these dinners are fun.

Dennis McDermott of St. Francis College (great Brooklyn guy) and Ray Nash, also of SFC and Bishop Ford run the thing and the folks who have attended/been inducted are legends of B/Q basketball (now getting a more expansive group).  Last year they honored Larry Lembo who the youngsters on this site would assume it was because he was a college BB referee whose body of work included 4 final fours.  But to Brooklyn people, Larry is remembered for Leading Loughlin to the CHSAA title and then going on to Manhattan College where he became MC's leading all time scorer (until surpassed by Brian Mahoney).

So if you have never been there check it out if you are around.  Its a fun night and the food at Sirico's ain't bad.

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 07:25:57 AM »
I have attended many times and it's a great event. Dennis & Ray really do a great job.!!

Always an older crowd but always a good time...

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »
Looks like Mike Anderson will be attending tonight.