Steere's Impact

• 15 replies

QuanMan

Steere's Impact
« on: December 05, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »
Josh and Rasheem benefit the most imo. High ball screens for Dunn giving him room to roam and less double teams for Josh. Your thoughts?

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

Mike Anderson said Ian Steere is a work in progress. Conditioning will be key once he’s eligible. Thinks he can provide some scoring punch #sjubb

Section 3
Section 116

Poison

Re: Steere's Impact
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 02:35:40 PM »
Hopefully, Coach Anderson is setting expectations low just to take pressure off of Steere. We all know he can play, but of course, it's only reasonable to give the guy at least few games before he's comfortable.

I was little confused by the conditioning comment. Is Coach telling us that Steere isn't in shape, or that he's in not game shape? We have to expect there will be at least some rust, and some getting used to the level, but who knows?

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 02:40:56 PM »
Josh and Rasheem benefit the most imo. High ball screens for Dunn giving him room to roam and less double teams for Josh. Your thoughts?

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

Mike Anderson said Ian Steere is a work in progress. Conditioning will be key once he’s eligible. Thinks he can provide some scoring punch #sjubb

Why would teams be doubling Josh?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »
Why would teams be doubling Josh?

Teams have been sagging on Josh once he catches the ball within the paint for weeks. Steere's rebounding prowess and ability to shoot from the perimeter will give Josh the space he needs to operate inside the paint freely.
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 03:10:38 PM »
Teams have been sagging on Josh once he catches the ball within the paint for weeks. Steere's rebounding prowess and ability to shoot from the perimeter will give Josh the space he needs to operate inside the paint freely.

I don't think Roberts and Steere will be on the court together all that much

Foad

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:58:31 PM »
I was little confused by the conditioning comment. Is Coach telling us that Steere isn't in shape, or that he's in not game shape? 

He's listed at 6'9 260. We can guess his shape. It's roundish.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 04:32:34 PM »

I saw him at the game on Saturday, and he didn’t look anything close to 260.

Foad

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
I saw him at the game on Saturday, and he didn’t look anything close to 260.

Never seen him but he's listed at 260.

"Ian Steere Position: Forward 6-9, 261lb."

To quote the old joke about fat girls lower legs, those aren't calves, those are cattle.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »
Never seen him but he's listed at 260.

"Ian Steere Position: Forward 6-9, 261lb."

To quote the old joke about fat girls lower legs, those aren't calves, those are cattle.

You know, it's possible that this particular type of statistic is consistently incorrect. As a freshman, if you recall, Malik Sealy was 6'9. By the time he was a rookie in the league, he was 6'6. Not much value in telling others that Steere has lost weight, but I can see that he has. That doesn't mean he's in game shape, but he's certainly not heavy.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

Who the hell is doubling Josh?

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 04:55:09 PM »

Not trying to be argumentative but I don’t think we’ve thrown the ball into josh in the post 10 times all year. The times we did I certainly don’t remember other teams doubling him. I love him as a player but doubling him is not a smart move as he hasn’t shown the ability to score in the post.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 04:56:40 PM »
No reason for the kid to be out of shape. He has been practicing. However as a 3/4 freshman he might be the most overrated player since Chris obekpa.
I think Roberts >>> obekpa as a sophomore by the way.
Hoping that steer can play physically score some points in the paint, play some post defense, and keep Sears on the bench

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »
You know, it's possible that this particular type of statistic is consistently incorrect. As a freshman, if you recall, Malik Sealy was 6'9. By the time he was a rookie in the league, he was 6'6. Not much value in telling others that Steere has lost weight, but I can see that he has. That doesn't mean he's in game shape, but he's certainly not heavy.

What is the benefit of lying about weight? There is none. Height is almost always embellished because of its importance in the game.

Steere looks all of 260 to me. That doesn’t mean he’s fat. Look at the kid:

http://www.technicianonline.com/sports/article_1dc517d4-e6e2-11e8-904e-d3d36553f8a8.html

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 05:05:34 PM »
No reason for the kid to be out of shape. He has been practicing. However as a 3/4 freshman he might be the most overrated player since Chris obekpa.
I think Roberts >>> obekpa as a sophomore by the way.
Hoping that steer can play physically score some points in the paint, play some post defense, and keep Sears on the bench

There is a big difference between out of shape and being in game shape. The latter is very hard to replicate outside of in-game competition.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 08:00:05 PM »

Baby shaq?

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 12:31:20 AM »
Baby shaq?

I think Shawnelle Scott already had that moniker for us.  6'9 260 might be a bit small for any Shaq reference.  In reality he's probably 6'7 and change.