Cam Mack

• 17 replies

Marillac

Cam Mack
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »
Is in the transfer portal and also trying the NBA draft. Who could have seen this coming?!  ;D

He’s a 22 year old soph and will have to sit out a year before playing again. This kid is walking sh*t show.

Poison

Re: Cam Mack
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »
Should have never back out of his commitment here.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 02:34:27 PM »
Talented kid, but based on what transpired at Nebraska, do you think he would have lasted the season?  He may not have even got into the OOC with the type of ship Anderson runs.

Our little friend already has McGowens to replace him, which fits the MO, because is also a talented kid (it seems) who apparently caused all types of issues at Pitt this past year.

Should have never back out of his commitment here.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
Nebraska also lost Dachon Burke to transfer and Haanif Chratham to graduation after a 7-25 season and a 17-game losing streak to end it.

I’m not sure our little friend will last
very long out there.

sju89tr

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 03:38:49 PM »
Did anyone see a tweet allegedly from Cam Mack saying something about Matt paying players It could have been a fake tweet but it looked like it was coming from him 

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 03:44:57 PM »
Did anyone see a tweet allegedly from Cam Mack saying something about Matt paying players It could have been a fake tweet but it looked like it was coming from him 

If there was a tweet my guess is it would have been from his over-involved mom. It appears there was some drama at the end.

We really dodged a bullet. He’s a 22 year old soph who will be a 24 year old junior that has committed to at least 5 schools before playing his third year of college. My guess is that he doesn’t play another minute of college ball. What do you expect from a kid who played for five high schools?

His mom is a tweet and delete star.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:46:10 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »
He’s posted and deleted many things but this was one of his tweets sandwiched between deleted threats to declare or transfer:

“I would like to publicly apologize to the University of Lincoln, the loyal amazing fans, the coaches and my teammates for being irresponsible within the guidelines of tarries and missed curfew which translated into not starting games and and multiple suspensions.”

Whoever recruits this kid to poioson their program for two years deserves what they will get from him.

Foad

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 04:14:36 PM »
Is in the transfer portal and also trying the NBA draft. Who could have seen this coming?!  ;D

He’s a 22 year old soph and will have to sit out a year before playing again. This kid is walking sh*t show.

He said long ago that he was planning on playing one year in college before going pro. I suspect the transfer portal is to give him a hardship out just in case - I'm guessing there won't be a lot of opportunities to play in Europe next year - and especially considering the problems he had at Nebraska.

Odd how when one of ours declares for the draft (Ponds, LJF) he's making a wise decision that will inform his basketball prospects, whereas this guy, he's delusional.

The idea that SJ wouldn't have benefited from a true point who averaged 12/6/4 last year is kind of silly. And the idea that Anderson wouldn't have played him is sillier still.

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 04:34:01 PM »
He said long ago that he was planning on playing one year in college before going pro. I suspect the transfer portal is to give him a hardship out just in case - I'm guessing there won't be a lot of opportunities to play in Europe next year - and especially considering the problems he had at Nebraska.

Odd how when one of ours declares for the draft (Ponds, LJF) he's making a wise decision that will inform his basketball prospects, whereas this guy, he's delusional.

The idea that SJ wouldn't have benefited from a true point who averaged 12/6/4 last year is kind of silly. And the idea that Anderson wouldn't have played him is sillier still.

I have supported two players turning pro early at St. John’s:  Mo Harkless and LJ.

LJ, as a Spanish-speaking Dominican born player,  will have international opportunities most American-born players simply don’t. He has no chance at the NBA right now, but can earn six-figures for 15 years of be plays his cards right. A friend of mine played over a decade internationally after a D-3 career because he was a dual citizen of Italy. Most European teams cap the # of Americans per team at 2-3.

Cam Mack will be a cautionary tale. He is worthy of starting in a major conference if he just stopped taking bad advice and got out of his own way. He was way better than what we had on the court, but is that worth the cancer the bad influence that can remain for years?

I wouldn’t want that kid within ten feet of Champagnie or McGriff.

Foad

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
Cam Mack will be a cautionary tale.

There were a lot of cautionary tales before Cam Mack came along. Omar Cook was a cautionary tale who should have come back and then went on to earn millions of dollars playing overseas. Erick Barkley was a cautionary tale who left too early and earned 700K a year at the height of his career in Europe when he was in his early twenties. Walter Berry earned millions playing in Italy. There's a lot of cautionary tales about players who didn't become all they might have been NBA wise and then there's a lot of cautionary tales about players who should have taken the money and didn't and ended up dead like Luther Wright under a bridge with a crack pipe in his mouth. Darius Miles might have benefited from a year or two of college. Maybe. On the other hand Lenny Cooke works on a loading dock and WTF knows where Lloyd Daniels is and no one cares, which those two should have taken the money and run. A lot of cautionary tales involve a lot of hindsight and a lot of hindsight from SJ fans is informed by how their hindsight implicates the prospects of the team for which they root as opposed to the best interests of the players who play for or used to.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 07:12:47 PM by Foad »

Poison

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 07:25:30 PM »
There were a lot of cautionary tales before Cam Mack came along. Omar Cook was a cautionary tale who should have come back and then went on to earn millions of dollars playing overseas. Erick Barkley was a cautionary tale who left too early and earned 700K a year at the height of his career in Europe when he was in his early twenties. Walter Berry earned millions playing in Italy. There's a lot of cautionary tales about players who didn't become all they might have been NBA wise and then there's a lot of cautionary tales about players who should have taken the money and didn't and ended up dead like Luther Wright under a bridge with a crack pipe in his mouth. Darius Miles might have benefited from a year or two of college. Maybe. On the other hand Lenny Cooke works on a loading dock and WTF knows where Lloyd Daniels is and no one cares, which those two should have taken the money and run. A lot of cautionary tales involve a lot of hindsight and a lot of hindsight from SJ fans is informed by how their hindsight implicates the prospects of the team for which they root as opposed to the best interests of the players who play for or used to.

The Cam Mack story is probably nothing more complicated than get your shit together. He isn’t good enough to have baggage.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 09:53:59 PM »

I don’t consider Cook, Barkley, or Berry cautionary tales. Cam is nowhere near the level of any of those guys. He also doesn’t have a chance at a pro career until he stops listening to his mother. She was talking about his “brand” and “markets” before he stopped foot on a D-1 college floor and undoubtedly engineered his five high school tour that ended in him being homeschooled. He is more like that the 6’10 kid who transferred to Manhattan and had a video crew following him and a relative handler calling the shots.

I think living and playing in Europe can be a great. I lived in Spain two summers and have been thinking of ways to get back there ever since.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 09:56:26 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »
Jermaine Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
Omar Cook's story worked out pretty well if I remember. Has spent his career in the Montenegrian league and if I am correct became a citizen there.

I can see LJ going to the DR and playing in their pro league (if it exists) and make enough money over 15-20 years to live on the beach and forget what a jacket is.

Could be worse.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:20:23 PM by porterbrown »

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 01:12:49 PM »
Omar Cook's story worked out pretty well if I remember. Has spent his career in the Montenegrian league and if I am correct became a citizen there.

I can see LJ going to the DR and playing in their pro league (if it exists) and make enough money over 15-20 years to live on the beach and forget what a jacket is.

Could be worse.

Lose Jacket Figueroa
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 06:47:05 PM »
I don’t consider Cook, Barkley, or Berry cautionary tales. Cam is nowhere near the level of any of those guys. He also doesn’t have a chance at a pro career until he stops listening to his mother. She was talking about his “brand” and “markets” before he stopped foot on a D-1 college floor and undoubtedly engineered his five high school tour that ended in him being homeschooled. He is more like that the 6’10 kid who transferred to Manhattan and had a video crew following him and a relative handler calling the shots.

I think living and playing in Europe can be a great. I lived in Spain two summers and have been thinking of ways to get back there ever since.

I don't want to argue particular use cases, although there were not a lot of St fans who lauded Cooke for leaving or Barkley or Ponds or Sampson and the list goes on. The more salient point is that every time some player doesn't come to St John's we dodged a bullet and every time someone leaves it's addition by subtraction. Which is nonsense. Cam Mack was an (honorable mention) all Big 12 player who absolutely would have started on this past year's team and would have played major minutes and the idea that the messiah Iron Mike Anderson - he's so dreamy - wouldn't have put up with it is nonsense because he put up with Rasheem Dunn shooting 3-14 every game and LJF chucking up lazy 40 foot threes when he wasn't taking dopey floaters in the lane that George Gervin would have rolled his eyes at.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »
I don't want to argue particular use cases, although there were not a lot of St fans who lauded Cooke for leaving or Barkley or Ponds or Sampson and the list goes on. The more salient point is that every time some player doesn't come to St John's we dodged a bullet and every time someone leaves it's addition by subtraction. Which is nonsense. Cam Mack was an (honorable mention) all Big 12 player who absolutely would have started on this past year's team and would have played major minutes and the idea that the messiah Iron Mike Anderson - he's so dreamy - wouldn't have put up with it is nonsense because he put up with Rasheem Dunn shooting 3-14 every game and LJF chucking up lazy 40 foot threes when he wasn't taking dopey floaters in the lane that George Gervin would have rolled his eyes at.

There is no question Mack was better than Rutherford. Is it worth poisoning the well though? We weren’t going to win this year with him. He seems better suited to accumulate stats on a team that ended the seaon losing 17 straight than as the missing piece for a team that was on the NIT bubble.

This kid and his advisor clearly have serious issues. 5 high schools and then settling on home school. Committing to SFA and then unilaterally trying to force a redshirt. Attending two junior colleges. Committing to a SJU before playing at Nebraska...then transferring as a 22 year old soph having to sit out a year to play. I can’t decide if that is a comedy or a tragedy. If he just stayed at SFA after forcing his redshirt he could be a grad transfer right now able to go anywhere he wants with a decent professional career ahead of him.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
There is no question Mack was better than Rutherford. Is it worth poisoning the well though? We weren’t going to win this year with him. He seems better suited to accumulate stats on a team that ended the seaon losing 17 straight than as the missing piece for a team that was on the NIT bubble.

I don't know what well you're talking about poisoning. I'd have been hard pressed to drink the water in St John's well this year unless I was on Naked Afraid and I was dying of dehydration and the bottle of Belevedere I'd brought as my one permitted object was empty. If you're talking about replacing Nick Rutherford with an all big 12 player on an NIT bubble team, I'd have been all in favor of that.

This kid and his advisor clearly have serious issues. 5 high schools and then settling on home school. Committing to SFA and then unilaterally trying to force a redshirt. Attending two junior colleges. Committing to a SJU before playing at Nebraska...then transferring as a 22 year old soph having to sit out a year to play. I can’t decide if that is a comedy or a tragedy. If he just stayed at SFA after forcing his redshirt he could be a grad transfer right now able to go anywhere he wants with a decent professional career ahead of him.

I'd never heard of this guy before he comitted to SJ and didn't give him a thought after he decomitted but he seems to have a decent pro career ahead of him regardless of how many colleges he attended and whatever else. Phil Greene is having a decent pro career. Amar Alibagofdonuts is having a decent pro career for goodness sake. It seems to me that SJU did not dodge anything except having a pretty good point guard in a year where they were missing a point guard at all and this kid seems to have a pretty sweet young life lined up for himself where he's going to be earning money somewhere playing a children's game and banging random bitches at his leisure. I don't see a downside, even if he has an overbearing mother. Because he could always smother her with a pillow.