Public safety and the student section

• 15 replies
Public safety and the student section
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:08:37 AM »
alright, im gonna try my best to give you guys the watered down version of what happened tonight but its still probably gonna be really long so bear with me

this whole thing with public safety started saturday at the soccer game, when one of them picked me out during halftime and told me i need to tone it down or else im gonna be banned from st johns games (even though i wasnt cursing)....then today, before i even walked into carnesecca, the same guy pulled me to the side and told me the same thing, and that father maher pointed me out specifically and printed out a "student code of conduct, the rights and responsibilities of the student" to hand out to every student because of me and that he recommended i read it...so we'll now fast forward to the second half, and as previously mentioned, we were in the middle of a "lets go johnnies" chant when i was tapped on my shoulder and people saying "bill turn around"..i look and see the same public safety officer telling me and my buddy to come with him, so as soon as i turn and see him i just said "you've gotta be kidding me" and he told me to stop making a scene and to go with him...so we go to one of those back rooms with like 4 other officers and was telling me that i need to tone it down, that i cant heckle the other team, i cant yell at the coach during timeouts, etc...so at this point im livid because its been like this since ive been here, so i flipped out and told him its absurd, i dont curse, say anything derogatory, mean, nothing..i just heckle, which is part of having a home court advantage..again he told me i have to stop or else ill be banned from all st johns sporting events...i leave the room, go back to the student section and tell everyone to sit down and not cheer for the rest of the game (for those of you wondering why we were sitting down and not cheering, thats why)...call me naive, but i think its no coincidence that when we sat down and stopped cheering, thats when we went on a tailspin and played like crap

after the game, i was still fuming over this whole thing and decided i needed to talk to the coaches about it...i talked about it with someone in athletics and hes on my side, told me he was going to talk to his boss, etc etc...then i went to taffner to wait for norm and the staff (ive met with them before the season, so its not like i was some random guy who they've never met before just waiting for them)...i see mase and JB and they come outside, so i tell them the story and jb told me i should talk to norm about it, and i told him those were my intentions, so he brought my inside and upstairs and got norm for me...i only spoke to him for about 30 seconds, told him what happened, he said he'd take care of it...i spoke to coach singleton for about 10 minutes about it and he echoed those sentiments, also saying he'll talk to whoever he needs to talk to..then i talked to coach Q for about 45 minutes about the entire situation and what really needs to be done and they all agree with me and are on my side (again this is extremely watered down, so if you wanna know how the conversation went just ask me, i dont wanna take up an entire page with this post)...so i left taffner and ran into someone in atheltics and we talked about it at length a little more, then HIS boss ran into us and said that its BS what they're doing, that student life (father maher) and public safety have way too much pull, and they're gonna work to let athletics have much more of a say in this matter, and that they're gonna make phone calls and everything tomorrow and in the next few days and they're all determined to have this whole thing sorted out by the NJIT game
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:25:00 AM by boooooooooothe »

Marillac

Re: Public safety and the student section
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:30 AM »
I'm all for what you are doing, but I think you kind of through someone in athletics under the bus by publicly mentioning that he thinks Student Life, Maher, and public safety have to much pull.  That could only cause problems for him at the school and he seems like he was trying to help. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:22:59 AM by Dave »

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:53 AM »
public safety is a joke...good for you standing up for the student body and taking the time to talk to all those people..hopefully things will be fixed not only by the NJIT game BUT by Saturday for the soccer game vs. Indiana..if they really want to try and stop the students from taunting the Hoosier goalie in an Elite 8 game, they got another thing coming...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:23:22 AM by Dave »

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 02:21:44 AM »
I'm all for what you are doing, but I think you kind of through someone in athletics under the bus by publicly mentioning that he thinks Student Life, Maher, and public safety have to much pull.  That could only cause problems for him at the school and he seems like he was trying to help. 

yea i was gonna add that...haha..if i were you I would edit that post and take out some names for the sake of that guys job
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:23:46 AM by Dave »

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:25:47 AM »
I think the students do a GREAT job at soccer games and is a big part of why we are undefeated at home this season
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:26:01 AM »

point well taken haha

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:32:19 AM »
Yes be careful with the name dropping we all know you mean well but go through the right channels to take care of this manner. Its a shame though, I remember Father Maher called me a "disgrace" to the school at one point in my senior year. Not once has the guy had the decency to have a conversation with me instead he chooses to give nasty looks and snarls anytime he sees me for reasons unknown. Very very christian like.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:28:17 AM »
Last thing St. John need is less cheerin.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »
Public Saftey is a freaking joke!!!!!!!!!! Dudes walking around in orange jackets (the color when I was there) thinking they have authority!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »
alright, im gonna try my best to give you guys the watered down version of what happened tonight but its still probably gonna be really long so bear with me

this whole thing with public safety started saturday at the soccer game, when one of them picked me out during halftime and told me i need to tone it down or else im gonna be banned from st johns games (even though i wasnt cursing)....then today, before i even walked into carnesecca, the same guy pulled me to the side and told me the same thing, and that father maher pointed me out specifically and printed out a "student code of conduct, the rights and responsibilities of the student" to hand out to every student because of me and that he recommended i read it...so we'll now fast forward to the second half, and as previously mentioned, we were in the middle of a "lets go johnnies" chant when i was tapped on my shoulder and people saying "bill turn around"..i look and see the same public safety officer telling me and my buddy to come with him, so as soon as i turn and see him i just said "you've gotta be kidding me" and he told me to stop making a scene and to go with him...so we go to one of those back rooms with like 4 other officers and was telling me that i need to tone it down, that i cant heckle the other team, i cant yell at the coach during timeouts, etc...so at this point im livid because its been like this since ive been here, so i flipped out and told him its absurd, i dont curse, say anything derogatory, mean, nothing..i just heckle, which is part of having a home court advantage..again he told me i have to stop or else ill be banned from all st johns sporting events...i leave the room, go back to the student section and tell everyone to sit down and not cheer for the rest of the game (for those of you wondering why we were sitting down and not cheering, thats why)...call me naive, but i think its no coincidence that when we sat down and stopped cheering, thats when we went on a tailspin and played like crap

after the game, i was still fuming over this whole thing and decided i needed to talk to the coaches about it...i talked about it with someone in athletics and hes on my side, told me he was going to talk to his boss, etc etc...then i went to taffner to wait for norm and the staff (ive met with them before the season, so its not like i was some random guy who they've never met before just waiting for them)...i see mase and JB and they come outside, so i tell them the story and jb told me i should talk to norm about it, and i told him those were my intentions, so he brought my inside and upstairs and got norm for me...i only spoke to him for about 30 seconds, told him what happened, he said he'd take care of it...i spoke to coach singleton for about 10 minutes about it and he echoed those sentiments, also saying he'll talk to whoever he needs to talk to..then i talked to coach Q for about 45 minutes about the entire situation and what really needs to be done and they all agree with me and are on my side (again this is extremely watered down, so if you wanna know how the conversation went just ask me, i dont wanna take up an entire page with this post)...so i left taffner and ran into someone in atheltics and we talked about it at length a little more, then HIS boss ran into us and said that its BS what they're doing, that student life (father maher) and public safety have way too much pull, and they're gonna work to let athletics have much more of a say in this matter, and that they're gonna make phone calls and everything tomorrow and in the next few days and they're all determined to have this whole thing sorted out by the NJIT game
Great job this year and recap.
The coaches have got to talk to Maher about his personal witch hunt.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:31 PM »
This is really interesting to me. I graduated from St. John's in 1963. Back then, we had a controversy over a showcase in St. John's Hall which at the time housed the Student Lounge.This showcase was used by virtually all the student organizations to advertise upcoming events. Its placement outside the Lounge insured that most of the students who hung out in the Lounge (everyone?)would see it. Well, the Administration decided unequivocally, that there was better use for the space and announced their intention to replace the showcase with something else they deemed necessary (a phone booth, I think). There was a short lived protest which was immediately broken up by the '63 version of campus cops and the showcase was dismantled. It was sadly, a typical example of the paternalistic attitude of the Vincentian Community towards governing St. John's. The "We know best-shut your mouth and go along with it" attitude persists today sadly.All the complaints on this and the other forum about Father Harrington are dejavu for me. Get used to it, kid. This is just another example of the St. John's education philosophy.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 12:47:34 PM »
Does anyone else see the irony in this?

We all know how important running a clean basketball program is to Father Harrington, but the only person from St. John’s who has been accused of a crime this past year has been a Priest?

And now he’s living in a pretty nice retreat instead of jail?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2008/10/11/2008-10-11_st_johns_priest_in_cybersex_video_sting_.html

Reply from Chris Monasch to my email
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
Robert

Thank you for your note. I was made aware of this issue last night and we are following up. I agree with your assessment that we want an enthusiastic but classy student section.

Thank you for your support and taking the time to write.

Chris Monasch

Director of Athletics

St. John's University

(718) 990-6223

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 02:09:34 PM »
Is this for real? If so can we see what you wrote to Mr. Monasch?

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:02 PM »
Is this for real? If so can we see what you wrote to Mr. Monasch?

FYI  It's real and I sent the text to Dave privately.

Dave, you have to admit, you loved my Sixth man reference!

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 08:57:05 PM »
I did, it was a nice touch. Very well written letter and I thank you for doing so.