Molloy '71

Marillac

Re: Consistantancy
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 06:04:32 PM »
ok consistantly mediocre, but
with the exception of Notre Dame

We have won every game against teams with an RPI worse than 80

and lost to every team with an RPI better than 80

Have we beaten a decent team on the road this year?  No.  We were LUCKY to have USF and RU at home.  I think we lose to RU at the RAC for sure.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »
we beat the teams we should and lose to the teams we should lose to

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »

Oh yeah?  And what dictates who we should lose to...your low standards?  Sorry some of us actually have higher standards than you and RSHF.   

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »

Have we beaten a decent team on the road this year?  No.  We were LUCKY to have USF and RU at home.  I think we lose to RU at the RAC for sure.

07/08 St. John's Wins at Rutgers 52-45

I think we're reaching a bit. I'm not giving us more credit than we deserve but lets put it to rest we're better than Rutgers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:28:11 PM by Dave »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 09:35:59 PM »

Oh yeah?  And what dictates who we should lose to...your low standards?  Sorry some of us actually have higher standards than you and RSHF.   

There is a difference between expecting the program to be better and realizing where the team currently is an having expectations based off of that. Based off of most people's expectations we haven't lost a game this season people thought we should have won. If you want to look up and down our schedule I'd say BC, VT, Miami, PC, Cincy were the most winnable games on our schedule. BC was the most winnable and we'll let ND game cancel that out.

I also feel we should have beat Cincy but if we win at their place I think it will wash out because I felt we should split the series this year anyways.

I think you might mean consistency
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:09:20 PM »
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consistency

consistency   
Main Entry: con·sis·ten·cy 
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈsis-tən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural con·sis·ten·cies
Date: 1594
1 aarchaic : condition of adhering together : firmness of material substance b: firmness of constitution or character : persistency
2: degree of firmness, density, viscosity, or resistance to movement or separation of constituent particles <boil the juice to the consistency of a thick syrup>
3 a: agreement or harmony of parts or features to one another or a whole : correspondence ; specifically : ability to be asserted together without contradiction b: harmony of conduct or practice with profession <followed her own advice with consistency>

Re: consistency
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »

Easy Marillac, your obsession with me is beginning to cause concern.
You know very little about me, so please don’t post silly comments about my standards being low.
You really have no idea.

Re: I think you might mean consistency
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consistency

consistency   
Main Entry: con·sis·ten·cy 
Pronunciation: \kən-ˈsis-tən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural con·sis·ten·cies
Date: 1594
1 aarchaic : condition of adhering together : firmness of material substance b: firmness of constitution or character : persistency
2: degree of firmness, density, viscosity, or resistance to movement or separation of constituent particles <boil the juice to the consistency of a thick syrup>
3 a: agreement or harmony of parts or features to one another or a whole : correspondence ; specifically : ability to be asserted together without contradiction b: harmony of conduct or practice with profession <followed her own advice with consistency>

it was bugging me too...hate to be the spelling police but I had to change it.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 10:50:33 PM »

There is a difference between expecting the program to be better and realizing where the team currently is an having expectations based off of that. Based off of most people's expectations we haven't lost a game this season people thought we should have won. If you want to look up and down our schedule I'd say BC, VT, Miami, PC, Cincy were the most winnable games on our schedule. BC was the most winnable and we'll let ND game cancel that out.

I also feel we should have beat Cincy but if we win at their place I think it will wash out because I felt we should split the series this year anyways.

Cincy at home?  That should be a win every time.  I think I even had that as a win and I want us to lose out.

Also this Rutgers team is way different than last year.  Look at the starters from last year like Inman, Coburn, and Griffin getting no burn whatsoever.  Last year they were AWFUL this year they are bad but young and talented.  I think they win at the RAC but we'll never know.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:41 PM »

Cincy at home?  That should be a win every time.  I think I even had that as a win and I want us to lose out.

Also this Rutgers team is way different than last year.  Look at the starters from last year like Inman, Coburn, and Griffin getting no burn whatsoever.  Last year they were AWFUL this year they are bad but young and talented.  I think they win at the RAC but we'll never know.

I said a win at their place would make it a wash. I'm sure you didn't have us sweeping them and I do have my doubts that you had us beating them at our place too. You were riding Cincy hard at the beginning of the season when I said they weren't that great you went as far to call them a tourney team and they were much better than us.

So Rutgers went from bad to bad and inexperienced?

Poison

Re: Consistency
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:03:30 PM »

we're a bad team.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 11:06:56 PM »

I said a win at their place would make it a wash. I'm sure you didn't have us sweeping them and I do have my doubts that you had us beating them at our place too. You were riding Cincy hard at the beginning of the season when I said they weren't that great you went as far to call them a tourney team and they were much better than us.

Wow Dave, good job claiming ownership on this hillbilly  ;)

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 09:31:26 AM »

I didn't say that.  I said they went from "AWFUL" to bad and inexperienced. Awful, I think most of the English speaking world would agree, is worse than bad.  I love when you guys try to twist my words.  I also said Cincy COULD be a BORDERLINE tournament team by year's end.  But feel free to twist my words in your favor again.

I've also been saying all year how hard it is to sweep a team in conference. Road wins are especially hard, but now that Cincy has beat STJ on the road, do you really expect them to lose at home?  A team that MIGHT be on the cusp of a tournament berth should not be sweeping teams in the conference.  The Cincy loss at home was bad any way you try to cover it up.  I think 95% or more STJ fans had us winning that game.

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 10:52:24 AM »
I actually tried to start this topic to discuss our RPI,but had to get back
 to work before I completed the post (& checked my spelling, thank you).

With us winning against all sub 80 RPI's + Notre dame,
and losing to all RPI's better than 80,

We are  8-0 vs RPI  under 150
We are  3-0 vs RPI  80-140
We are  0-4 vs RPI   1-20
We are  1-5  vs RPI  20-80

I would expect our RPI to be around 70-90, not 114, per POM
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:01:02 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

we dont play RU anymore this year.

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »
Cincy
 PC
 Depaul
 Rutgers
 USF

Marillac, do you think these teams are that much better than ST Johns?

USF no.  But other than USF, St. John's is has the lowest ceiling.  I could see Cincy doing very, very well (NCAA tournament), PC is loaded with seniors and it Curry is healthy they will be a lot better than us.  Depaul and Rutgers both have more talent IMO and a MUCH brighter future.

AT BEST we can hope to split with SH and Cincy.  It is so hard to sweep two conference games.

So at least you said you give us a chance to split with them however your argument wasn't too convincing with AT BEST. Yes you did they they could be NCAA team so you didn't go out so far on the limb to say they were a lock but you did have other posts talking up a majority of their team.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:56:10 PM by Dave »

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 11:27:10 PM »
And now Cincy beat ND by 10 tonight in Cincy.
Our game there next week is going to be a good one, that's for sure.