VOTE IF U WANT

• 15 replies
VOTE IF U WANT
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:43:50 PM »
I WAS THINKING BOUT TRYING OUT NEXT YEAR JUST TO GIVE IT A SHOT. A LOT OF MY FRIENDS THINK I SHOULD. I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR YOU OPINION. FEEL FREE TO VOTE..IF NOT THATS COOL

sjd8886

Re: VOTE IF U WANT
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »
where did you play in hs, and what kind of numbers did you put up, not that your numbers are important in terms of making the team and being a good practice player, i just am curious

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:55:09 PM »
I played at Freehold Twp. HS....was a top 10 team in the state of NJ my junior year and won our division my senior year. I average about 5 points a game..not much of a shooter or scorer..I was a point guard and had the least amount of turnovers on the team. Very good assist to turnover ratio. I do not know much of my stats. My coach actually brought up the idea to me when i told him i was attending st. johns and i told him he was crazy haha. He said that I am a hard worker and skilled enough to try it out...

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
Norm once cut a kid that went on to become a Junior College All-American when we SUCKED. 

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
hahaha wow

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »
jbel if you're serious about trying to become a walk-on I'd contact the coaching staff. Do not wait for walk on tryouts next year. I'm not sure how many or if they will have open walk-on spots because I think the current players are all FR,SO,JR so you would have to compete for these spots.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »
dude, do it! you have nothing to lose.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »
well i'm just thinking that I would go in there and just play and see what happens. I'll just play my game and if i make it great, if not i can always say i went to a walkon tryout for St johns

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 06:19:48 PM »
My suggestion is to work on your shot.  Size and/or shooting ability are the two things coaches look at when they pickup a walkon. 

Coach K actually recruits some of his walkons.  He wants shooters, shooters, shooters.  If you can't shoot the lights out and you are not 6'6+, you won't have a shot.

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »
actually at the end of my basketball season last year till now I have been in the weight room everyday...i gained about 10 pounds and have gotten a lot bigger. I was a stick my senior year and now I have really filled out. As a result of this my shot has gotten a lot better. I find myself shooting 3 4 steps behind the 3 point line now at ease

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
well i'm just thinking that I would go in there and just play and see what happens. I'll just play my game and if i make it great, if not i can always say i went to a walkon tryout for St johns

If you don't contact the coach prior you will have even a slimmer chance of making the squad. Walk-on tryouts occur 2 weeks after the team started practicing. Generally speaking the walk-ons who are on the team have been practicing for those 2 weeks with the team and it is already full. Walk on tryouts are more of a formality.

If some stud comes into walk-on tryouts then things can change but (not to sound discouraging) if you're a 6' or shorter white kid who averaged 5ppg in highschool you aren't going to stand out enough to boot the current walk-ons all of whom have a summer of working out with the team under their belt.(in this case most will have 1+ yr experience)

Also you must have very good GPA to be a walk-on as well because they definitely carry their weight for the team's overall GPA.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
yea thats exactly what my HS coach told me...he was like they love hard workers and guys who have good GPA's cause it brings the team GPA up. I am 5'9 165 so I guess I am under that category u mentioned lol...most of the walk-ons are prob the same height maybe a little bigger..

LJSA

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
Go for it -- you only averaged three less points a game than Boothe did in his senior year.

And if it goes poorly, someone here will find out about it and we can all make fun of you. ;D

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
hahahah thanks bro!   :)

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
 :) Go for it. i got picked up from intermural program many years ago. Work hard & give it your best.

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 04:31:38 PM »
:) Go for it. i got picked up from intermural program many years ago. Work hard & give it your best.

At ST Johns?