Students Subsidized to go to Syracuse Game

• 13 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Students Subsidized to go to Syracuse Game
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/columnists/jimbaumbach/blog/2009/02/st_johns_gives_students_incent.html

I hope the students on the site are taking advantage of this!  From the post on Newsday:

...here are incentives the university is offering its students simply to attend tonight's game against Syracuse at Madison Square Garden:
- game tickets for only $5.
- free food and free transportation to and from MSG.
- after the game students are rewarded with a $10 gift card.

So, essentially, students receive a net profit of $5 as well as food and transportation to Madison Square Garden...

Marillac

Re: Students Subsidized to go to Syracuse Game
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:20:25 PM »
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/columnists/jimbaumbach/blog/2009/02/st_johns_gives_students_incent.html

I hope the students on the site are taking advantage of this!  From the post on Newsday:

...here are incentives the university is offering its students simply to attend tonight's game against Syracuse at Madison Square Garden:

So, essentially, students receive a net profit of $5 as well as food and transportation to Madison Square Garden...

I guess paying students to attend is better than hiring a winning coach to actually make them want to go.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »

I guess paying students to attend is better than hiring a winning coach to actually make them want to go.

Marillac, Im starting to worry about you. Are you not taking your meds?

Poison

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:26:09 PM »

They still won't even come close to the amount of orange fans in attendance. Orange fans respect their school. And yet again, "New York's team" will take over another school's arena.

If this is the best they can do to get students to go the games,
I'd rather see them uninvited.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:16:45 PM »
See the problem with these things is that they are very poorly advertised and usually given on very late notice. Also they are a pain in the ass with security that its such a hassle for a kid to go and enjoy the bus ride over there.

I'm not condoning any misbehavior but in general college kids will enjoy a couple of cold ones before attending which there is nothing wrong with that and if they go on the bus its just a trap to get fined and in trouble with the school. Even if you are 21 years of age you'll still be fined. The school really has poor tolerance of such things which results in kids just wanting to rebel and have negative feelings about the school.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:19:13 PM »
See the problem with these things is that they are very poorly advertised and usually given on very late notice. Also they are a pain in the ass with security that its such a hassle for a kid to go and enjoy the bus ride over there.

I'm not condoning any misbehavior but in general college kids will enjoy a couple of cold ones before attending which there is nothing wrong with that and if they go on the bus its just a trap to get fined and in trouble with the school. Even if you are 21 years of age you'll still be fined. The school really has poor tolerance of such things which results in kids just wanting to rebel and have negative feelings about the school.

When I was in student government we used to provide a bus for every away game. 

I actually never had a beer before or at St. John's game before.  I am totally serious. 

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:20:27 PM »
Actually we have had very good notice for these things recently.  For the Duke game we got 5 dollar tix, 2 movie tix, dinner, transportation to and from, a metrocard, and a 10 dollar applebees gift card.   Same deal for the womens game tomorrow except obviously no transport/dinner and the tix are free.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:03:19 AM »
Actually we have had very good notice for these things recently.  For the Duke game we got 5 dollar tix, 2 movie tix, dinner, transportation to and from, a metrocard, and a 10 dollar applebees gift card.   Same deal for the womens game tomorrow except obviously no transport/dinner and the tix are free.
That's a good deal.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:50:47 PM »
No such thing as a free lunch?

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:55:15 PM »

Wow.  Or they could just put a good product on the floor and actually charge money :)

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 02:56:18 PM »

Baldi, how much are you subsidized for being Norm's internet bodyguard? 

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 03:00:11 PM »

$300 a month, but Im thinking about going to work for Pitino or Jay Wright. At Louisville, I was offered a car and at Nova I was offered a Sidekick 3. UConn takes the prize though, I get a no show job,wheels and some pocket cash as needed

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »

$300 a month, but Im thinking about going to work for Pitino or Jay Wright. At Louisville, I was offered a car and at Nova I was offered a Sidekick 3. UConn takes the prize though, I get a no show job,wheels and some pocket cash as needed

Funny that you were offered a sidekick when you are Norm's sidekick. 

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 01:18:47 AM »
...I actually never had a beer before or at St. John's game before.  I am totally serious.

I accept the fact that you hate Norm and want him fired immediately, so we will agree to disagree, but I have to call BS on this post.

What were you, an alter boy? Even they often sipped at the sacrificial wine when nobody was looking!