Mr. Hollinger's Ratings St. John's

• 3 replies
Mr. Hollinger's Ratings St. John's
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:25:55 PM »
Looking for someone ambitious enough to do this. I will find it curious who poses the best ratings on our team since we are so concerned with minutes as of late. Everything is explained below and if someone makes a excel sheet this should be easy to do however I have no type of programs on my mac yet to do so.

The Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is a per-minute rating developed by John Hollinger, author of Pro Basketball Forecast. In Mr. Hollinger's words, "The PER sums up all a player's positive accomplishments, subtracts the negative accomplishments, and returns a per-minute rating of a player's performance." It appears from his books that Mr. Hollinger's database only goes back to the 1988-89 season. I decided to expand on Mr. Hollinger's work and calculate PER for all players since minutes played were first recorded (1952).

All calculations begin with what I am calling unadjusted PER (uPER). The formula is:

uPER = (1/MP)*
         [ 3P
         + (2/3)*AST
         + (2 - factor*(tmAST/tmFG))*FG
         + (FT*0.5*(1 + (1 - (tmAST/tmFG)) + (2/3)*(tmAST/tmFG)))
         - VOP*TO
         - VOP*DRBP*(FGA - FG)
         - VOP*0.44*(0.44 + (0.56*DRBP))*(FTA - FT)
         + VOP*(1 - DRBP)*(TRB - ORB)
         + VOP*DRBP*ORB
         + VOP*STL
         + VOP*DRBP*BLK
         - PF*((lgFT/lgPF) - 0.44*(lgFTA/lgPF)*VOP) ]
Most of the terms in the formula above should be clear, but let me define the less obvious ones:

factor = (2/3) - (0.5*(lgAST / lgFG)) / (2*(lgFG / lgFT))
    VOP = lgPTS / (lgFGA - lgORB + lgTO + 0.44*lgFTA)
    DRBP = (lgTRB - lgORB) / lgTRB
I am not going to go into details about what each component of the PER is measuring; that's why Mr. Hollinger writes and sells books.

Problems arise for seasons prior to 1979-8
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Mr. Hollinger's Ratings St. John's
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:13:34 PM »
something similar on Ken Pom's site.

http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=St.%20John's&y=2008

Molloy '71

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:20:06 PM »
pretty cool Hollinger's rating is an overall rating per minute to determine a player's efficiency it looks like Ken Pom's gives rating on individual statistics in comparison to overall average.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:12:50 PM »
I had a buddy of mine from Australia do this system he uses to rank players just out of curiosity what is was for our guys. This is a formula used to rate efficiency based loosely off of the Hollinger formula. 

This is the forumula....

PPG+
RPG*1.3+
APG*1.6+
SPG*2.5+
BPG*3+
FG%*6+
FT+*5.7-
TPG*3.2

This is what the rankings came out to be....

1. D.J. Kennedy
2. Eugene Lawrence
3. Justin Burrell
4. Anthony Mason Jr.
5. Larry Wright
6. Paris Horne
7. Tomas Jasiulionis
8. Rob Thomas
9. Dele Coker
10. Malik Boothe
11. Matt Duell
12. Sean Evans
13. Otoja Abit
14. Mike Cavataio
15. Liam Biesty

Now I've asked him to send me the actual numbers of what came out so we can see how close in range each player is from each other but he hasn't gotten back to me yet(time difference). So when he does I'll post again but I would still like someone to do the Hollinger ratings it would be really cool to see how our guys stack up.