Who is St. John's X Factor this year?

• 29 replies
Re: Who is St. John's X Factor this year?
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »
Whoever gets the most time as Point Guard...we know Boothe's limitations, can he improve his shot, can he be more consistent.  Or can Stith steal some time from Boothe or at least take some pressure off of him?

I can dream that maybe Hardy can play some point...imagine that...having a point guard that can shoot.  I honestly can't remember the last time we had a scoring point.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 07:30:51 PM »
LOL marillac you're getting all defensive about a question that wasn't even posed to you. I'm not denying what you've said but bball said Brownlee is a  6'7 SF and playing PF is a stretch. So I want to hear more why he isn't capable of playing the 4 and what does he make of 6'6 Rob Thomas?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 07:35:05 PM »
LOL marillac you're getting all defensive about a question that wasn't even posed to you. I'm not denying what you've said but bball said Brownlee is a  6'7 SF and playing PF is a stretch. So I want to hear more why he isn't capable of playing the 4 and what does he make of 6'6 Rob Thomas?

LOL

That is why I erased it.  I was puzzled, but we're on the same side on this one.  Brownlee is 6'7 230, long, and athletic.  He has face-up four written all over him. 

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 09:01:30 PM »
rob thomas is a power foward.

justin brownlee is a small foward. ive never personally seen the kid play but i talked to people who have..his success has come at the 3. he would be playing out of position at the 4 but who knows we'll see how he does if put in that position.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »

LOL

That is why I erased it.  I was puzzled, but we're on the same side on this one.  Brownlee is 6'7 230, long, and athletic.  He has face-up four written all over him. 

once again..never seen brownlee play...but i have seen thomas play in games and practice more times then i can count. he plays a very physical inside game and is always working on his post moves. he may be shorter then brownlee but doesnt mean they play similiar games.

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 09:20:45 PM »
Whoever gets the most time as Point Guard...we know Boothe's limitations, can he improve his shot, can he be more consistent.  Or can Stith steal some time from Boothe or at least take some pressure off of him?

I can dream that maybe Hardy can play some point...imagine that...having a point guard that can shoot.  I honestly can't remember the last time we had a scoring point.

boothe is def. getting the most time at point, no question about it. stith is not good enough to come in and be an impact player his freshman year.he might mold into a nice spark off the bench.

havent personally seen hardy play but i talked to him when he signed to st johns. he told me hes a two guard and didnt seem to enthusiastic about playing at the point.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 11:47:33 PM »
rob thomas is a power foward.

justin brownlee is a small foward. ive never personally seen the kid play but i talked to people who have..his success has come at the 3. he would be playing out of position at the 4 but who knows we'll see how he does if put in that position.

I've never personally seen Brownlee play either but there is no reason in my mind why he can't play PF or even C in addition to playing some 3.

We need him to play inside due to our depth and team needs.

Also I see no reason why he can't be a Sean Evans clone. Hopefully a better Sean Evans in terms of handling the ball and making FT.

I think having a guy with his athleticism and speed is awesome having at the 4. I don't think there are many teams who can match our athleticism and speed at the 4 and 5. I like the potential of our ability to run an uptempo offense
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 11:56:27 PM »
not sure if hes got the ability to play strong like that...who knows we'll see...hopefully hes got it in him

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 08:53:52 AM »
Who this year does our record hinge MOST upon?  Who REALISTICALLY stepping up can raise us to the next level or not performing will leave us mediocre?

I think it's between Burrell, Boothe, and Mason and I'm going easily with JUSTIN.

I didn't put up Paris or DJ because I dont see them doing much different than last year - they are what we need them to be, we need an X factor to step up

If Justin Burrell learns to translate his raw skills into solid basketball play, then I could see this team becoming a threat in the Big East.  But if he repeats his very mediocre performance from last year, then they'll be a middling team in the conference (which is unacceptable for a team with 9 juniors and 1 senior).

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »

Brownlee is a 3/4 and there is NO WAY Norm went out and got a JUCO to come in as a junior if he didn't expect him to play the four--just no way.  Our best two players are SF's.  Our best freshman recruit last year can play the two or the three.  Our best freshman recruit this year can play the two or three.  Then, figure in Horne and Dwight at SG.

It wouldn't make sense--even for Norm--if he didn't expect Brownlee to play mostly at the four.  Dante Cunningham was a 6'7 center for Nova and that worked out pretty well.

Marillac... you already know that there is no rationale for Norm's thought process. Maybe he brought Brownlee in as an extra PG.  :D

In all seriousness... anyone of these guys could be an X Factor. There is potential with all of them. They just need to hit the gym this summer and get better!

Boothe: I am hoping your working on your jump shot.
Evans: Your defense and FT shooting, a little jump shot from 15ft in would be nice as well.
Burrell & Coker: Your defense and rebounding.
Horne, Mason & Kennedy: Ballhandling & 3 ball Shot.
Thomas: Just get that cardio up and make that knee more durable/strong (if possible).
Roberts: Just work on getting everything a bit better.
Lawerance: Work on that outside shot and your strength, cardio.
Hardy: Do what you need to do to be a better version of Patterson/Wright with the ability to play some D and handle the rock on occasion.
Stith & Brownlee: Work on your shot and your D.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:14:21 PM by Johnny4Life »