UConn Tuesday

• 16 replies
UConn Tuesday
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:30:28 PM »
Not too happy they lost last night they should come out angry against us. Forget about Cincy we need to focus on this one
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: UConn Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:12:24 PM »
This game will be a gut check for this team. If we can pull this one out, I will be very relieved, as we may show some people something this year!

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 03:23:29 AM »
CALM BEFORE THE STORM

by Garrett Knieste

St. John’s vs. Connecticut

After splitting their first two Big East contests, the Johnnies begin a tough six game stretch with a trip to Storrs to take on the Huskies.

In front of 5,000 people Saturday evening, the Storm were able to take care of business against the Bearcats. Once again, impressive performances by Mason Jr. and Burrell helped set the tone for St. John’s. Unfortunately, as will be the case all season, there is no time to reflect on this victory. The rigorous 18 game Big East schedule has the Johnnies right back on the road against rival UCONN on Tuesday night. This game begins the toughest 6 game stretch of the season for St. John’s. After Tuesday night, they host Depaul, go to West Virginia, play Pittsburgh at MSG, take on the Cards in Freedom Hall, and then finish up against Georgetown back at the Garden. This is life in the Big East conference. But as we have seen already this season, any team can win on any given night. It is important for St. John’s to take it one game at a time, and not get too high after a win or too low after a loss. If they can bring the consistent effort on the defensive end that we have seen in the first two conference games, the Johnnies have the ability to stay competitive in every contest.

The Huskies are 1-1 thus far in the Big East, with both their games being on the road. They beat Seton Hall in Newark on the 3rd, 98-86, and then lost to a tough Notre Dame team in South Bend on national television Saturday night. Regardless, St. John’s has not beat Connecticut since the 2001-2002 season at MSG, when Marcus Hatten was leading the way for the Red Storm. The Johnnies have not won in the state of Connecticut since 1/16/00, when they knocked off the #4 Huskies 82-77 at Gampel, behind Lavor Postell’s 23 points. If St. John’s can play their game and keep the high scoring Huskies in check, they will have a chance to stick it to Yukon and Coach Calhoun. It would be great to get back-to-back wins and head into another winnable game against Depaul back in Queens. But like I mentioned before, they need to take it one game at a time. GUARD YOUR LAPTOPS.

The Game

On Tuesday January 8th, the Red Storm of St. John’s University go on the road to take on the Connecticut Huskies. The game will be played at Gampel Pavilion, with tip-off scheduled for 7:00 PM. This Big East contest can be seen on SNY and heard live on WFAN.com

The Lineups

St. John’s (7-6, 1-1 BIG EAST)

We saw Norm Roberts use a tight rotation for really the first time this season in the Cincinnati game. And what do you know, we won the game. Mason and Burrell each played 36 minutes, as they should. DJ had 28 productive minutes, scoring 13 points and grabbing 8 rebounds. Geno played 30 minutes, I think more of a result of Boothe getting 3 fouls and only playing 9 minutes. I wouldn’t mind it being more like a 25-15 split between those two. Larry finally got out of the doghouse seeing 15 minutes of action and cashing in with 9 points, including two important 3’s late in the 1st half. Once again it appears Tomas earns his start out of respect, because he only played a total of 8 minutes. It will be interesting how Norm rotates the big men against UCONN with Thabeet lurking down low.

PG – #4 Eugene Lawrence   Senior / 6-1 210lbs / 10.6 points, 4.4 assists
SG – #10 D.J. Kennedy   Freshman / 6-6 208lbs / 10.0 points, 7.5 rebounds
SF – #2 Anthony Mason Jr.   Junior / 6-7 209lbs / 11.8 points 2.6 assists
PF – #24 Justin Burrell   Freshman / 6-8 235lbs / 12.1 points 7.5 rebounds
C – #11 Tomas Jasiulionis   Junior / 6-11 249lbs / 3.2 points 2.5 rebounds   

Connecticut (10-3, 1-1 BIG EAST)

Coming off a season which saw the Huskies finish below St. John’s in the Big East (12th) and fail to make a postseason tournament, Hall of Fame coach Jim Calhoun has his young team off to a 10-3 start. Connecticut was in the same position last year that St. John’s is in this season, with lots of freshmen. The six man recruiting class from a season ago are now sophomores and are looking to use their experience from freshman year to make some noise this season. Guard Jerome Dyson leads the high scoring Huskies in scoring at 15.7 points/game. As a team, UCONN averages 82.2 points/game, which currently ranks 4th in the Big East. The starting five all average in double figures and junior point guard A.J. Price leads the Big East in dishing with 6.2 assists/game. The Huskies also lead the Big East in offensive rebounds per game, with Thabeet and Adrien doing most of the damage.

PG - #12 A.J. Price      Junior / 6-2 181lbs / 12.9 points, 6.2 assists
SG - #11 Jerome Dyson   Sophomore / 6-4 190lbs / 15.7 points, 4.5 rebounds
SF - #21 Stanley Robinson   Sophomore / 6-9 200lbs / 11.4 points, 6.1 rebounds
PF - #4 Jeff Adrien      Junior / 6-7 243lbs / 13.7 points, 8.8 rebounds
C - #34 Hasheem Thabeet   Sophomore / 7-3 263lbs / 10.6 points, 4.0 blocks

Keys to Victory

•   HELP OUT ON THE BOARDS. One of the key ingredients to winning games on the road is to limit the other teams’ second chance points. The Huskies are a very strong offensive rebounding team, as they are very big down low. It is important that we try to keep Adrien and Thabeet off the offensive glass, as they both get lots of their points from put backs. We need more than DJ and Burrell to be rebounding in order to do this. I would like to see Mason crashing the boards a little more, as he is only averaging about 2 rebounds a night. Additionally, if we can find a way to get some more second chance points (10 against Cincinnati) that would also help our cause.
•   DON’T FORGET ABOUT JB. It seems every game that we go away from Justin in the 2nd half. He finished with 13 points last game, but only scoring 2 points on free throws after the break. I know teams tend to make halftime adjustments and come out doubling him, but we still don’t feed him the ball enough in the post. If he is drawing that double team, it helps create openings for other players. Getting the ball to him in the post will only create better scoring chances all around. Plus, I feel he has improved every game at recognizing the double team and passing it back out or finding an open man. It will be interesting to see how he fares against the likes of Jeff Adrien, but if he can consistently hit that jump shot he will make it tough for anyone to guard him.
•   CONTINUE TO ‘D’ UP. The effort on the defensive end has been there all season for Norm Roberts’ young squad, and it must continue against the high scoring Huskies. St. John’s is holding opponents to 64.5 points/game, which is good for 7th in the Big East. UCONN doesn’t really shoot the ball well from downtown (34%), so it will be important for our guys to keep their man in front of them and try to cut down on penetration from Price and Dyson. Thabeet still is very raw on the offensive side of the ball, but his height could always cause problems. If we can bring the same defensive effort we saw against Cincinnati, with good rotating and sliding to the open man off the double team, we will be able to keep it close.
•   MAKE THAT ADJUSTMENT. It is no question who the better coach is in this match up (Even though most everyone dislikes Calhoun). Last game against Notre Dame, the Huskies were down by 21 at the half. Like any great coach, Calhoun got his team to come out of the locker room fired up and ready to play. UCONN came all the way back and were able to take a one point lead with 6:25 to go in the game. Although they ended up losing, it showed what a coach can do at the break to get his team back in the game. It is hard to out coach Jim Calhoun, but it is crucial that Norm makes some adjustments at half, whether we are winning or losing, because if he doesn’t we could get blown out.

Prediction

I think we can definitely hang with this UCONN team. The game could come down to the wire if we play our trademark defense, limit the second chance points, and shoot the ball well. The Huskies are a great home team, and recent history would say that we won’t win this game. One week ago I would have said we get blown out, but our last two games have been promising. I still don’t think we win, but I wouldn’t be completely shocked if we escaped with a W.

UCONN 77 St. John’s 66

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 03:45:02 AM »
I think we just have to out hustle them from the start come out and get those loose balls and 2nd chance opportunities. Create some offense off our defense. Uconn is such a big athletic team but not overly skilled don't get me wrong they have talent but they aren't a finesse team. We need to come out hungry

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:18:39 AM »
UConn sucks! Maybe Oldred will walk on the court and punch Doug Wiggins right in the snout

kjd01067

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 10:42:57 AM »
I think we can def play with these guys but I just dont know if we will be able to pull this one out on the road.  I think our guys will come out with a bunch of confidence and who knows if we can get productive games out of our big 4 (Mase, Burrell, Kennedy and Wright) we have a def possibility of being the spoiler in this game.  Good Luck boys !

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:17:33 AM »
Going to be a real interesting game and I think for us to have a shot we're going to have win in ugly fashion.  Some matchups that I'm curious to see:

Geno/Malik vs AJ -- After watching UCONN a few times this year i've realized this team will go as far as AJ takes them because they really don't have another true point behind him.  Geno played pretty well against Vaughn last game by keeping him in front, and he needs to play the same way here.  If he fails we're gonna need Malik to come on in and take away the penetration and kick.  Something I do like about both our pg's is that they are so damn annoying to the other team and usually pick up 2-3 fouls on the opposing guard via charge or stupid reach in.  If we can get AJ in foul trouble early here we'll have a tremendous shot to upend them here.

Justin vs Adrien -- We'll learn a lot about Justin Tuesday night.  Adrien is a beast of a power forward and really shows what the big east is all about down low.  Justin has to work his ass off on the boards and keep his motor going the whole game.  Hopefully Geno will actually throw him the ball, and let the kid show he belongs to play with the big boys.

Tomas/Coker vs Thabeet -- I personally would like to see us go small vs them here and make him guard us on the outside and make the kid move a little bit.  Knowing Norm though he'll just try to combat Thabeet's size with our 2 headed monster.  I'm not overly impressed wtih Thabeet and think if you attack his body he'll give in, but if you show the slightest bit of being tentative against you he'll swat that shit and get on a roll.  I really hope Justin gets to throw one down on his face.

Kennedy/Mase/Larry/Horne vs Dyson -- I think we'll start out with DJ on him which could work out well as he can use his length to bother him but I also think we'll see a lot of Paris too.  Larry better be hot because no way in hell Norm will keep him in to get killed by Dyson.  Dyson has a nice shot but sometimes falls way to in love with it and can get lazy.

Mase vs Robinson -- Robinson has all the physical tools but is an enigma.  Last year he killled us at the garden so hopefully that will fire up mase.  We need the kid to play hard and the way he can play the whole time to pick up the W here.  We need him to start grabbing a few boards, we need him to keep dishing those sweet dimes and we need him to stay aggressive.  I know he was hot last game but I'm not a big fan of watching Mase chuck up 25 footers all game.  If anyone watches him in warm ups thats the crap he's shooting and its a symbol for disaster.  He's too talented to be stuck on the outside and we need that whole arsenal ready to go today.  On games on the road you need your star to rise to the top to have a chance, so lets hope he drops in 20 and leads the crew.

Assuming this game is going to be a physical war, I think it'll be interesting to see what guys get in trouble first for each team.  If we lose Justin we're in a deep shit, and if they lose AJ they're dead.  I think for us to pull off an upset we'll have to see a suprising face score double digits.  Regardless if we play tough D like we can, and board well, we'll be in the game til the end.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 12:20:14 PM »
Going to be a real interesting game and I think for us to have a shot we're going to have win in ugly fashion.  Some matchups that I'm curious to see:

Geno/Malik vs AJ -- After watching UCONN a few times this year i've realized this team will go as far as AJ takes them because they really don't have another true point behind him.  Geno played pretty well against Vaughn last game by keeping him in front, and he needs to play the same way here.  If he fails we're gonna need Malik to come on in and take away the penetration and kick.  Something I do like about both our pg's is that they are so damn annoying to the other team and usually pick up 2-3 fouls on the opposing guard via charge or stupid reach in.  If we can get AJ in foul trouble early here we'll have a tremendous shot to upend them here.

Justin vs Adrien -- We'll learn a lot about Justin Tuesday night.  Adrien is a beast of a power forward and really shows what the big east is all about down low.  Justin has to work his ass off on the boards and keep his motor going the whole game.  Hopefully Geno will actually throw him the ball, and let the kid show he belongs to play with the big boys.

Tomas/Coker vs Thabeet -- I personally would like to see us go small vs them here and make him guard us on the outside and make the kid move a little bit.  Knowing Norm though he'll just try to combat Thabeet's size with our 2 headed monster.  I'm not overly impressed wtih Thabeet and think if you attack his body he'll give in, but if you show the slightest bit of being tentative against you he'll swat that shit and get on a roll.  I really hope Justin gets to throw one down on his face.

Kennedy/Mase/Larry/Horne vs Dyson -- I think we'll start out with DJ on him which could work out well as he can use his length to bother him but I also think we'll see a lot of Paris too.  Larry better be hot because no way in hell Norm will keep him in to get killed by Dyson.  Dyson has a nice shot but sometimes falls way to in love with it and can get lazy.

Mase vs Robinson -- Robinson has all the physical tools but is an enigma.  Last year he killled us at the garden so hopefully that will fire up mase.  We need the kid to play hard and the way he can play the whole time to pick up the W here.  We need him to start grabbing a few boards, we need him to keep dishing those sweet dimes and we need him to stay aggressive.  I know he was hot last game but I'm not a big fan of watching Mase chuck up 25 footers all game.  If anyone watches him in warm ups thats the crap he's shooting and its a symbol for disaster.  He's too talented to be stuck on the outside and we need that whole arsenal ready to go today.  On games on the road you need your star to rise to the top to have a chance, so lets hope he drops in 20 and leads the crew.

Assuming this game is going to be a physical war, I think it'll be interesting to see what guys get in trouble first for each team.  If we lose Justin we're in a deep shit, and if they lose AJ they're dead.  I think for us to pull off an upset we'll have to see a suprising face score double digits.  Regardless if we play tough D like we can, and board well, we'll be in the game til the end.

Uconn will be a test, but let's not forget that they are young and careless, too.
Perhaps we can push them around a bit.

A few hard fouls is okay by me. And well deserved.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »

Uconn will be a test, but let's not forget that they are young and careless, too.

I think you're right on poison.  We have to go in there with a tough attitude and pummel em physically.  I expect to see Dele go in and just beat the piss out of Thabeet lol and hope the others follow.  I want a real ugly, gross game that we somehow pull out ... real low scoring.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 12:54:21 PM »
UConn sucks! Maybe Oldred will walk on the court and punch Doug Wiggins right in the snout

OLD RED continues to be MIA...

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 05:10:00 PM »

I think you're right on poison.  We have to go in there with a tough attitude and pummel em physically.  I expect to see Dele go in and just beat the piss out of Thabeet lol and hope the others follow.  I want a real ugly, gross game that we somehow pull out ... real low scoring.

id rather have dele not over commit in this game and play smart, to be quite frank.  uconn is certainly beatable and SJU is gaining confidence.  norm has also pushed some better buttons over the course ofthe last 2 games so there is some improvement all around.

marcobaldi, oldred would have to not be a coward (which he is) in order to walk onto the court and lay a hand on anybody. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 05:39:41 PM »
its going to be a tough game.  If we don't play a full 40 minutes on D we will lose. We have to play lock down D on Dyson.  He's the only guard that I'm worried about...Price is good but unless Dyson goes off their offense struggles big time.

Thabeet is worthless on the offensive end.  Adrien is overrated and I think Justin will do well against him.  But JB has to be ready to play because Adrien is going to try and body him all game.

Let's just hope Robinson doesn't figure out how good he could be until at least after Tuesday.

I see another result like against the Cuse.  We keep it close but can't get over the hump.  We'll need an off night from Dyson and either Mason or Wright to light it up to have a chance.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »
13 point dogs ...

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »
Its been a pleasure reading this thread.

Nice analysis by many, no bickering, great old fashion basketball talk.

Lets expand this to the to the killer 5 game streatch.
Other than UConn and Georgetown- no dominant centers.
We'll need to go big alot in these 2 games, but

vs Depaul, WVA & Pitt --smaller might be better (Geno,LW, DJ Mas,& JB)

If we go 2 & 3 (I only hope)  (Depaul & 1 of other 4)-
would others besides me consider this positive ?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 12:30:59 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »

I'd be happy with 2-3 during stretch, means we'd have upended someone we're not supposed to.

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »

one game at a time...one game at a time 8)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 03:41:49 PM »
that has to be our motto all season