How to Market to Students Better

• 33 replies

Poison

Re: How to Market to Students Better
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »
If the world is so scary, why doesn't the garden do it too?

I couldn't give you an exact reason but I'd guess that they have more ushers or paid security inside. Queens vs Manhattan? Liability insurance?

Either way I don't think its a big deal to get a quick pat down. I got nothing to hide and 30 seconds of my life isn't a big deal. I don't think anyone should focus on that being a negative.

it's not about the 30 seconds.

it sends a message about where you are.
we can't even make the local paper,
if msg, and radio city don't feel they are targets,
then why do we?

people who go for the first time leave convinced
they just saw a game in a dangerous area.

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »

I couldn't give you an exact reason but I'd guess that they have more ushers or paid security inside. Queens vs Manhattan? Liability insurance?

Either way I don't think its a big deal to get a quick pat down. I got nothing to hide and 30 seconds of my life isn't a big deal. I don't think anyone should focus on that being a negative.

then why do we?

Maybe some do but I can't imagine it's overwhelming. I'd like to think people feel safer because of it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

LJSA

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 07:24:28 PM »
It's been years since I've been to a game on campus, so I'm unfamiliar with the situation. Do they have metal detectors? If not, do they make people remove their shoes or pat down their crotch? Pat-downs are useless if someone really wants to get a weapon inside.

Poison

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »

then why do we?

Maybe some do but I can't imagine it's overwhelming. I'd like to think people feel safer because of it.

If we were ULCA, or Kansas, or a school that appears on national, and even global tv, I'd get it. We'd be a target.

This way, we're just seen as ghetto. Mind you, I don't believe we are,
just that our marketing department is selling us that way whether they realize it or not.

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 08:42:11 PM »

then why do we?

If we were ULCA, or Kansas, or a school that appears on national, and even global tv, I'd get it. We'd be a target.

This way, we're just seen as ghetto. Mind you, I don't believe we are,
just that our marketing department is selling us that way whether they realize it or not.

We can agree to disagree here. I'd rather be safe than sorry. To me its not a big deal as its a quick process.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »
I'm more concerned with how fans and recruits see it.

When many local kids say they want to go away to college
the life they are trying to leave behind is probably one with metal detecters in schools.

We resemble what we are not in this case. If it's because of safety,
Why are we the school that does this?

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
I'm more concerned with how fans and recruits see it.

When many local kids say they want to go away to college
the life they are trying to leave behind is probably one with metal detecters in schools.

We resemble what we are not in this case. If it's because of safety,
Why are we the school that does this?

MSG has security checks when you enter the building. It might not be as intense but its still there. So I don't think it creates a negative stigma.

I'd rather have the checks than have something tragic happen like the stabbing that occurred at UConn recently. I'm all for prevention.

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:53 PM »
Free stuff and winning.  That and a student section at MSG sounds like it would help.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 09:00:59 AM »

Gotta agree with dave. When it comes to safety, all bets are off. Appearance should mean nothing. How would you feel if america didn't want to put as many protections in their airport bc they worried itd hurt the business of the airlines?

St johns obviously has reasons for doing it, and safety always comes first.  I've been to high schools where there are metal detectors. Kids are used to it here. Might even make them feel safer - esp after the uconn incident.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »
I’ve make jokes about the metal detectors in the past, but in reality I’m with Dave on this one too. I have no problem waiting a few extra minutes to get inside CA in knowing that we will all be safer. I’ve wondered why they don’t use metal detectors at MSG. Their “checkpoint” is a joke.

We live in a very different world today.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
Yes, we are safer. No doubt about that. We live in a world where an attack on a storied sports stadium or arena would make the global news.

However, that ain't us. The fact that we have it on campus, and MSG has simple hand wave tells recruits all they need to know.

If the campus is so unsafe that they we need metal detectors at games, why don't we have them in every building on campus?

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 11:13:31 AM »
Yes, we are safer. No doubt about that. We live in a world where an attack on a storied sports stadium or arena would make the global news.

However, that ain't us. The fact that we have it on campus, and MSG has simple hand wave tells recruits all they need to know.

If the campus is so unsafe that they we need metal detectors at games, why don't we have them in every building on campus?

St. John's campus is an extremely safe. They have security measures to get into every dorm room, the whole campus has security cameras, and public safety prevented a school shooting from happening. That should tell recruits all they need to know.

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 06:31:28 PM »
I don't agree what is being said here.  First of all security isn't a reflection of the department - the university hires NYPD for security because remember, WE ARE IN QUEENS!! There isn't as much crime in Kansas or UCLA! MSG doesn't have NYPD checking people in so i'm sure that is why there is a difference of procedure.

Secondly, I don't understand how someone can judge how to market better when you're not even on campus.  They do put schedule cards, mini flyers, etc in the student mailboxes.  I graduated last year and I think they use every market possible to reach students.  They advertise on the flat screen tvs throughout campus, have dry erase boards with weekly information in every dorm, go out at lunch (sometimes with the teams) and hand out flyers, sometimes they go through the dorms with teams and hang flyers or knock on the doors and invite students out to the games. I remember a pizza party last year in the dorm to promote tip-off and i heard they did something of the same effect outside.  Obviously there IS an effort from the team and dept. but it's the lack of interest on campus. 

The flyers are covered but there are only certain bulletin boards on campus that flyers can be hung & if they are hung on windows they are immediately taken down.  So they do the best they can with what they have.   they even put flyers on cars but if you're not interested, you're not going to notice. 

As for text messaging, I'm sure the University is strict with this since they have rights to the emergency text messaging system.  I doubt the university will allow athletics to text about games since they use texting as emergencies only.   

There is always room for improvement but how can you recommend what to do if you're not even on campus to see what they already do??

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 09:51:16 PM »
strayjay you bring up some solid points. The security issue was a bit off topic and I don't think anyone associates that with marketing.

There are some students who frequent the site and are on campus and do know what's going on. If there are more of them out there then I encourage them to join in the conversation like yourself. Thank you for informing everyone of some of the things that are currently being offered. 

I don't think you need to be on campus full time to make recommendations for marketing ideas. It certainly doesn't hurt to get more perspective. For instance you made mention that there is only certain boards available where flyers can be hung. This is where I feel the university struggles at times thinking outside of the box. Why not get glass covered bulletin boards where you can neatly post flyers that are visible and then have oldschool corkboards available to the public flyers? Or get plastic holders that you can screw onto classroom doors that you can interchange periodically? In the bathrooms above the urinals/stalls? A board by the outdoor basketball courts? great stairs? There are always opportunities to improve and saying that isn't diminishing the current efforts of the staff.