Red Storm must save Norm's job [NY Post]

• 1 replies
Red Storm must save Norm's job [NY Post]
« on: November 05, 2009, 08:19:56 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/red_storm_must_save_norm_job_Oxr3n6FMVBSi7h6TOHSWgI

There are a lot of solid reasons why St. John's should make a move up in the Big East Conference this season and qualify for the NCAA Tournament or the NIT.

The team is older, deeper, tougher and more talented.

But none of those reasons trumps this one: This season the Red Storm is taking it personally.

Several players told The Post at yesterday's media day that their mission is for well-liked coach Norm Roberts to be back for a seventh season.

"We hear it all the time, all the rumors, all the gossip, we definitely feel like there's no way he's leaving here," junior forward D.J. Kennedy told The Post. "As long as we're here, he's here.

"I think people put too much pressure on the coach, not the players," Kennedy added. "When you lose a game, it's the players that are the ones playing, not the coaches. I really feel like we're taking it on ourselves to prove to everybody why Norm's a great coach, and they're going to see this year why we feel that way."

Roberts acknowledged that this is his team more than ever before. He recruited every one of these players.

He has worked their bodies into better condition (junior guard Paris Horne, for example, gained 11 pounds in muscle and is ready for an All-Big East season) and he has bent their minds to believe the success of the team usurps their own goals.

"He gave us all the opportunity to make the best of what we can be in college," guard Quincy Roberts said. "Of course, we want to help him out in return and give him what he deserves."

Roberts (64-85) has a revolving five-year deal that just turned over. The parameters of the contract, which initially weighted heavily his player's academic and conduct performances, now also demand greater success on the court.

"I don't feel any more pressure than you always feel being at St. John's and being in New York and playing in the Big East," Roberts said. "I think we've got a very good team. We've got a chance to be very good, but there's not any more pressure than any other time."

Actually, there is. But at least Roberts knows his players have his back.

The injury bug continues to plague St. John's. Swingman Anthony Mason Jr., who missed virtually all of last season after foot surgery, is still at least five weeks away from beginning conditioning because of a hamstring injury.

Mason had the same procedure that Giants DL Chris Canty underwent. Blood was drawn, spun in a high-speed centrifuge to accentuate white blood cells and injected into the hamstring.

Rob Thomas of Harlem (groin/knee) is at least two weeks from conditioning. Justin Burrell (hand) said he's finally regaining all the strength after tearing ligaments during an exhibition trip.

Kennedy (knee) is day-to-day after getting kicked by Burrell on a slam dunk attempt. Roberts (concussion) is cleared to play.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:23:09 PM by Dave »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kjd01067

Re: Red Storm must save Norm's job [NY Post]
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »
I am glad the guys have faith in Norm, just don't drink the Koolaid guys.  All kidding aside im glad the guys are taking it on themselves this year.  I think they know that this might be the last shot for Norm and if these guys really do like him and want him around for their senior year than they have to win.