A Capital Start: St. John's/ Georgetown Calm Before the Storm [Johnny Jungle]

• 5 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
The Red Storm open conference play on New Year’s Eve against the Georgetown Hoyas, who are ranked #13 in the country in both major polls. With another win, I daresay we might have a rivalry going again. The Hoya fans are terribly, terribly eager to avenge the losses from last March, where a swooning Hoya squad needed to beat the lowly Johnnies to have a chance at the NCAAs.

In response, the Hoyas got manhandled, beasted, prison-wifed into submission on March 3rd AND March 10th, with the March 10th game being in the Big East tournament.

Those performances likely influenced both teams for the better. An emboldened St. John’s – now with a couple more scorers, an aggressive DJ Kennedy, and a tough early schedule – have played pretty well on defense and have had fewer droughts on offense, even managing to hang with Duke on the road. Meanwhile, Georgetown has come out smoking this year, with wins over Temple, Butler, and most surprisingly, the go-go Washington Huskies.

Two improved teams. A bitter taste in the mouths of the Hoyas. A bold confidence from the Johnnies. It’s gonna be a good one.

READ MORE: Calm Before the Storm: A Capital Start

For some reason, Dave didn't post his interview with the Casual Hoya blog.

Read up! http://www.casualhoya.com/2009/12/30/1224805/sleeping-with-the-enemy-the#storyjump

Oops I didn't read here first. I just posted a thread for that. I've been slacking lately....holiday hangover. Let's get some chatter about the game!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

I'm going down to DC for this one.  I'm really pumped!

Taking my son to his first game.  Hoping he is a lucky charm.  Let's go St. John's!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Taking my son to his first game.  Hoping he is a lucky charm.  Let's go St. John's!

How old's your son?  I remember my son's first game when he was 4, against UCLA at Pauley.  He barely noticed how we crushed the Bruins that day putting one of the final nails in Lavin's coffin.  But it was a good memory for me.  Especially since I haven't been able to take to any other Redmen games.